17 coaches online • Server time: 04:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which blockdice do you prefer
Classic old blockdice
55%
 55%  [ 79 ]
New design
19%
 19%  [ 28 ]
Don't care
25%
 25%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 143

Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Those of you that have tried playing with the new client will no doubt have noticed the new blockdice, loosely based on the design of Impactminiatures blockdice.

I for one hate them, but what is the general opinion? Do you like these new dice or do you want the good old dice, WITH SKULLS Wink
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The art on the good old dice are most likely copyrighted by GW. In any case the new FFB client is trying to distance itself as far as possible from any complications with GW.

People will probably get used to the new ones, but it'll take a while.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The old block dice copyright are owned by gw and therefore cannot be used?
benjysmyth

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

From an aesthetic perspective, I would also definitely prefer some kind of skull design as opposed to crosses - it just aint the same not seeing a couple of evil skulls grinning back at you when you re-roll the block dice and get nuffled!

Perhaps more importantly from a functional perspective, the PUSHBACK result currently has two different designs (one with three arrows, one with four). I think these should be standardised into one or the other as it is a little confusing when first using the client.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I never understood the old pow and exclamation mark for defender stumbles. It gives the impression of something better than pow, but it clearly isn't. A pow and question mark might have made sense. So a new dice design was unavoidable anyway from my point of view. Wink
Stinkytroll

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

benjysmyth wrote:
From an aesthetic perspective, I would also definitely prefer some kind of skull design as opposed to crosses - it just aint the same not seeing a couple of evil skulls grinning back at you when you re-roll the block dice and get nuffled!

Perhaps more importantly from a functional perspective, the PUSHBACK result currently has two different designs (one with three arrows, one with four). I think these should be standardised into one or the other as it is a little confusing when first using the client.

I agree with the skulls being on the dice, I can't see GW having a copyright on that. But I think the general idea is that there is now a 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 on the die. 3 arrows and 4 arrows are both pushes. I had no problem with them and think they are fine like they are.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

They are interesting, an innovative take on the d6 for blocking. Obviously we can't use the GW dice. I like them.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

drbunny wrote:
The old block dice copyright are owned by gw and therefore cannot be used?

And the new design is not copyrigthed by Impact??

I realize its not a full ripoff of these (had it been i would have had no problems with them really, as these ones also has skulls), but its close enough to make a case I bet.

Are you certain GWs copyright also extends to a very generic design on a few dice or do you just assume so because of all the other problems with GW lately?
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

last i checked..it was GW threatening legal action....not impact

not that i'm saying we should rip off impact, by any means....

but there's no reason to go back and give GW a reason to shut the place down.....

good bye GW dice...get over it....

--j

ImageImage
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I should have added another option, because to be honest, all I really want is to exchange those red crosses with skulls.

Though i also think the 2 different pushback designs confuse, and theres no point to them in the client.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm willing to post up some optional dice if people are interested. I used the 'pips' style for icons not knowing about impacts dice, no intent to infringe on them. I have a set that has the single push back arrow and single star as well.

I like the skulls too, but we must tread lightly.

Perhaps we need a Shadow Special Edition set where the crosses are replaced with "Fael". Wink

Last edited by WhatBall on %b %23, %2010 - %20:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
On1

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

i vote for more skulls Smile and either 3 or 4 pushback arrows... or 1!!! Smile Also the skull with a funny 1-nose looks retarded on the impact set.
On1

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm one more thing, it's a picture of a skull on a background popping up on a computer screen, it's really not a dice. So if one of u cool artists created a cool and simple skull who would care? Razz
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

they are fine but could be much better, i say we all design a bunch and then vote.

and then get told we are using what is there already Smile

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2010 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

In my eyes there is currently no need for action, really. Personally I like the new dice set and we needed to get away from the gw design. So the classic option above is really not an option at all. You'll get used to them, I'm pretty sure. And we won't EVER all agree on a single dice set, me thinks Wink
 Jump to: