32 coaches online • Server time: 10:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I wondered: what happens if I upload a Beastman icon for my Chaos Warriors? or a lineman icon for my human catcher? I KNOW, but my opponent could well miss the trick.

Am I missing something in the uploading process, or is it so easily abusable? I don't think we should allow things like that, seems very wrong and underhanded.

Custom portraits are a minor problem, because they don't get involved into the action... but uploading misleading icons could turn into a real bad habit.

what do you guys think?

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree, there needs to be a control of some sort. I love the idea of custom icons so you can tweak your stars or show mutations, but it can't be abusable.

What solutions are there?
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

That's easily answered. Go to the client menu User Settings->Icons there you can chose between Team icons (the ones your opponent has uploaded), Roster icons (the Fumbbl defaults for the roster) and Abstract icons (circles and letters). So you can easily switch from whatever your opponent has uploaded to something familiar.

And possibly report him for trying to cheat right afterwards Wink

EDIT: if no custom icons have been uploaded the "Team icons" and "Roster icons" settings look the same, of course.

Last edited by Kalimar on %b %30, %2010 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar outsmarts us again! Razz
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The only solutions that come to my mind are:
1- Do not allow custom icons, but just custom pics
2- Force an approval on custom icons just like we already do with custom portraits)
3- Allow everything and blame the coach for not looking at the stats but only at the icons if something goes wrong.

...hate to say it, but as much as I love customization (I think I was the first on the site to advertise custom icons for the Hellfish), I think the only viable option of the three is the first one.

Option 2 could really become a nightmare and easily a reason for whining against the approvers, because who am I to say if your tentacled lineman is good enough to resemble a tentacled lineman and not be a cause of misunderstanding? And if you make an all-disney iconset, I as an approver should allow it or not??? It has no resemblance with the players on the pitch, so it FORCES people to look at the statistics...

Option 3 takes another philosophy entirely: all is fair, the MA AG ST and AV numbers are there, and if you look at the icons, you're the stupid one. Might work, but I think it could make the games a) a lot slower (because frankly, looking at the icons makes it all much easier as a general principle) and b) totally unforgiving for the casual player. It all depends if this is the route we want to take for the sake of having a 100% customized team....

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
That's easily answered. Go to the client menu User Settings->Icons there you can chose between Team icons (the ones your opponent has uploaded), Roster icons (the Fumbbl defaults for the roster) and Abstract icons (circles and letters). So you can easily switch from whatever your opponent has uploaded to something familiar.

EDIT: if no custom icons have been uploaded the "Team icons" and "Roster icons" settings look the same, of course.

Eh, Jan, problem has been solved. You can switch from their custom icons to the default in the client. (+ report em for abuse afterwards)
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

@JanMattys: did you not see my post? Your answer seems to overlook my statement. Or perhaps I was not clear enough?

And yes, there needs be an approval process to avoid walking penises for players and similar fun stuff.

Last edited by Kalimar on %b %30, %2010 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:

this is a very good thing, thanks.
Still, we will need to have guidelines about what to do when people try to act like smartasses that way. Either it's against the rules, or it's totally fair. If it's fair, there's no reporting... and usually it might take a single icon trick to change the course of the game ("what? that was a st3 blitzer and not a st2 catcher????"). Which would suck.
If the result is that everybody keeps the Roster Icons mode ON by default, the customized icons thing becomes trivial, doesn't it?

Anyway, these are problems to be ruled on by Christer. Your solution seems good to me as far as technical solutions go.

Kalimar wrote:
@JanMattys: did you not see my post? Your answer seems to overlook my statement. Ot perhaps I was not clear enough. And yes, there needs be an approval process to avoid walking penises for players and similar fun stuff.

I was wrinting my post while you were posting yours. Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Similar to the team naming disclaimer, there should be a warning pop up when adding custom icons for your players. It should be site policy that you are not to use custom icons to deceive an opponent.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

@JanMattys: And there I was thinking of your Hellfish icon set (really, as you were the only one I knew having a full icon set for his team) when building this option Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
@JanMattys: And there I was thinking of your Hellfish icon set (really, as you were the only one I knew having a full icon set for his team) when building this option Wink

If we find a satisfying way around the jackasses, you can bet your life that I WILL use customized icons Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! Try to do so with that other game out there... Nice graphics, but not customizable. This here is the version for the fanboys Very Happy
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Ha! Try to do so with that other game out there... Nice graphics, but not customizable. This here is the version for the fanboys Very Happy

...not exactly true... my Hellfishes are customized in the "other game" too Wink
...but really, your client is going to beat cyanide's game 6-0 6-0 Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

*Humpf* just shows that I know nothing about that other game really, sorry. Although I believe that I've read somewhere that the new version won't allow any modding.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2010 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
*Humpf* just shows that I know nothing about that other game really, sorry. Although I believe that I've read somewhere that the new version won't allow any modding.

You can reskin, and there is some modding possible, but only for single player games. They've come out and stated that modding the game is illegal though. Rolling Eyes

And don't worry about 'slowing down' with bug fixes. Their idea of bug fixes is to tell the community they haven't been fixing them for the last few months, aren't planning on fixing them, and if you want them fixed, you will need to buy the new version. (Which will still be full of bugs. Laughing )

In short, your client rocks Kalimar!
 Jump to: