44 coaches online • Server time: 17:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do we need harsh penalties for discers?
The harsher the better, ban the cats!
34%
 34%  [ 24 ]
Well we sure need to do something.
34%
 34%  [ 24 ]
Things are fine as they are.
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

Peteman

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How annoying is it when you've played a top game, gaining lots of spp's and a resounding, only to have your opponent disconnect and avoid finishing the game. I'm not going to mention any names here, ok I've changed my mind. (I don't read the rules)

It is very annoying and as far as I can tell completely unpenalised. The only thing that happens is that the game counts as never played. With things this way it's a wonder more people aren't bailing out on games that aren't going well for them.

I think something needs to be done and I'm wondering who else out there feels the same.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

You do know that if you actually bother to report this to the admins, we take care of things. Most people don't, and thus, people get away with it. If someone has left a game, contact an admin and that person will be blocked until they finish the game. If they leave and play on, the team will be retired unless it's the first time, AND they have a damn good excuse. People need to actually try reporting these problems and letting the penalties in place be used before they start suggesting new ones.

The Finishing Touch
Mastermind

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I run to the admins and start crying whenever my opponent disconnects. I recommend this method as after a while they get sick of it and fix up your team to make you go away.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't tell us, we won't know and the person will get away with it, it's as simple as that. We aren't psychics people, psychos maybe, but not psychics. Wink

The Finishing Touch
Peteman

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2004 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet Justice!! Thanks go to Mr Klipp for his help. The evil doers account is now blocked and I'm doing a happy dance.

ADMINS FOREVER!!
gigantorjap

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2004 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

how about a new forum where u can post the disconnect? That way other people can see who is a disconnecter?
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2004 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

No.

Public witch hunts will only poison the atmosphere here. Keeping the list private and only for the admins makes sure people do have the benefit of doubt. You know, disconnects DO happen, and sometimes even can last for a longer time without the user in question being responsible - Christer's recent isp troubles were an example for that.

There is a link specifically for reporting disconnects like that on the support page - use it, everybody.

-Mnemon
Barash

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2004 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that the list of coaches should be exclusive for the admins.

Maybe it's a good idea to give stats on the number of abandoned games reports, number of coaches on the admin watch list, number of coaches who got a warning, number of coaches who were banned, etc.
This might scare coaches with disconnect ideas?

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2004 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, the one thing that could merit adding, IMO, is mentioning the penalties for dropping a game, in the FAQ/"My opponent got disconnected, now what?" area so people are aware that said penalties exist.

OTOH, the type of coach who would drop a game probably wouldn't read the FAQ either...then again, how many people do read the FAQ at all?
kjwise

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the report link:http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=support&op=message&a=18&path=17,18
Make sure you've waited for 15 minutes before PM-ing the coach that disconnected and then make sure you've waited for 24 hours before reporting.
I misunderstood the proccess on the FAQ page and I reported after waiting for 15 minutes, so this is for clarification.

This text is still rather confusing:

Quote:
Ok. Let's assume Coach A and B play against eachother and B disconnects for whatever reason.

So Coach A is the victim.

Quote:
From this point, coach A must wait 15 minutes for coach B to return so that the game can be resumed (or scheduled for resuming). After these initial 15 minutes coach A can, if he/she wants, call the game off and play another game with the team. If coach A has to disconnect before these 15 minutes have passed, he/she will be considered disconnected as well and must go through process described below.
Call the game off? No, I don't want to, I wish to finish it! And I've waited for more than 15 minutes, now what?

Quote:
Upon return coach B must contact coach A, offering to resume the game. This no matter if it takes 3 seconds or 3 years to reconnect. This offer should be made either through direct contact or on-site PM. if coach A does not reply through direct contact, he/she is assumed to have left the keyboard and a PM should be written.
So I'm supposed to wait for the one who disconnected for 3 seconds to 3 years? This is in contradiction with waiting for 24 hours before reporting to the admins.

Quote:
From the point when coach B sent the PM, coach A has 24 hours to reply. If there is no reply within these 24 hours, the game is considered to be cancelled and coach B is free to play another game.

Wait? Shouldn't Coach A send coach B a PM and Coach B MUST finish the game with Coach A or else Coach A can report Coach B to admins and have him blocked until he does? This reads to me as a role reversal.

But then again, perhaps I'm just illiterate?
Update the FAQ guys Smile
AeoN2

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I have always thought the FAQ being a bit unclear at that point, and also it should mention that if coach B logs on and doesn't reply to coach A's PM requesting a time to finish the game, then an admin should be contacted to help "persuade" coach B.

--
AeoN2
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Basically, if someone has left a game, you can contact an admin and we will block their account until they return to finish the game. That generally gets them to come back quite quick to resume it.

The Finishing Touch
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the problem is the whole 24 hour waiting period thing. Who wants to put their playing of their team on hold for 24 hours. I'd say an hour MAX. Notify the Admins and PM the coach. If the opposing coach doesnt return or reschedule then the within an hour the game should be called complete as is and the opposing coach gets force feed the result. If its a technical problem with his PC or ISP too bad. its only one loss and it's not like it's a conceded match.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 02:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Tor_AlKir wrote:
I think the problem is the whole 24 hour waiting period thing. Who wants to put their playing of their team on hold for 24 hours. I'd say an hour MAX. Notify the Admins and PM the coach. If the opposing coach doesnt return or reschedule then the within an hour the game should be called complete as is and the opposing coach gets force feed the result..

There IS no result file until the game is completed. Also, there is no 24 hour waiting period if you are the person left behind, you only need to wait 15 minutes at which point, if you don't feel like waiting any more, you can play on and abandon the game. If you aren't patient enough to wait, play on, no one is making you wait. Otherwise, file a dropped game report the right way and an admin will deal with it.

The Finishing Touch
kjwise

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I filed a report after 15 minutes and I got the message I was too quick about it and had to wait for 24 hours. Is this rule relative to the admin that gets the report?
 Jump to: