27 coaches online • Server time: 01:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you play to win?
I Play for blood what's the ball?
14%
 14%  [ 349 ]
I play to win a stun is as good as a cas for me during a drive.
29%
 29%  [ 725 ]
Both, blood and glory for me!
56%
 56%  [ 1410 ]
Total Votes : 2484

Colin

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

21) Always pressure the ball when defending. If you can pick the ball up or place it or the player holding it in tackle zones, do so. If you can put the ball holder in 2 tackle zones, put those players in neighbouring squares so the ball carrier still has to dodge if he blitzes one of them.

22) Try to prevent caging teams from ever getting the ball into the cage. Do this by first kicking deep, then (on your turn) running around his (usually heavily over-loaded) LoS and form a screen between them and the guy with the ball. Then he has to Blitz a screening player and Hand-off or Pass to make it safe, which is when mistakes always seem to happen. The Kick skill is very, very useful for this tactic.

23) Try not to give passing teams a free gap to run through; make it as hard as possible for them to make the initial hole to pour players through (i.e. they have to risk a 1db, or move several players just to get enough assists for a 2db.

24) Even when receiving, don't leave big holes in your line-up. If you do, that's when Blitzes always happen. At least make them blitz to get players under the ball.

25) On receiving, have a plan B. Sometimes plan A can be defended against too well, so an alternative route to the endzone is safer.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Delta wrote:
A tactic I use when I have the ball and just know it's gonna be popped out of my hands on the next turn (typically due to pressure from the other player) - throw it to an empty square as far away from the other team as possible. (obviously as a last resort!).

For our non-American football watching friends, this as known as the 'punt'.

I still remember the first time someone did this to me. Spent 15 minutes trying to finish my last turn because I was laughing so hard. Just never occurred to me for some reason. Scored him a well-earned tie, if I remember correctly.

{edit: Yup, it was darkwolf. Amazing how funny that was at the time. I think I'm still snickering about it almost a year later. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %28, %2004 - %23:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
cataphract

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
MixX wrote:
If it had said "a KO is as good as a CAS during a drive" then I'd choose that, but not a stun.

Nah, change it to a BH is as good as a SI or RIP and it's got my vote. Smile

BH is better than an SI or RIP because they won't use their apothacary!

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing to point out is slightly more advanced tactics. There are 3 general types of teams in bloodbowl. Bashy teams who don't find it easy to run and score (Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, Undead), high-scoring teams who are fairly weak (low armour) Elves (any), amazon, Skaven and maybe norse. There are also teams which are OK at both but not excellent (human, orc, chaos, lizard). These are generalisations.

Now if you are playing a high-scoring team vs a tough team, you have to keep your guys from getting beat up. Don't do any blocking unless you have to. Get the ball and run and throw and get a touchdown every couple of turns (or less). He will usually get to block you a couple of times per turn and maybe a foul but that's it.

Alternately if you're playing a slow team vs anyone else, the winning strategy is to get as many of their players off the field by any means possible. Particularly scorers. Skaven gutter runners and elf catchers are particularly dangerous and should be nobbled whenever you get the chance. If you can score 3-4 or more casualties in the first half, you might be able to start scoring in the second.
cusi

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Mastermind wrote:

Alternately if you're playing a slow team vs anyone else, the winning strategy is to get as many of their players off the field by any means possible. Particularly scorers. Skaven gutter runners and elf catchers are particularly dangerous and should be nobbled whenever you get the chance. If you can score 3-4 or more casualties in the first half, you might be able to start scoring in the second.

That is one not too effective way to do it, hoping to get lucky on cas rolls is not a good tactic, a bashy team vs a high scoring team should elect to kick off and pressure the scoring team to score quickly, in 2 turns, then starts 16 turns of grinding ball protection and walking forward for a 2-1 victory, you dont need to outcas to win you need to control the ball when you have it, this means protecting the ball deep at the start of the drive, protect the ball carrier and dont panic and scramble out of safety until you can scamper into the endzone with your throw-ra.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

"""the only reason to foul is to gain a tactical advantage. If you find yourself fouling "just cuz" your en route to losing the game. """
^^
I am too nice I guy.. I seldom foul... But when I see I lost THEN I start fouling to blow of steam... Is he going to win? Let him be able to feel the victory had a cost!
----

""11) Count on every single roll you make failing miserably. Try to see where that will leave you (in terms of field position) when it happens. If you have a big hole on your flank, for example, try to close it up before hitting the flings. Double skulls happen... with alarming frequency. ""

There are not much similarity in BB and Risk, but they are both Dice games: Some Ace boardplayer told one of my friends: You can tell a newbie from a skilled player on the way they look forward in the game. The noob says: What can I accomblish, and then what can I accomblish after that. The skilled look at it like this: What do I do, when this go wrong!

one reason I lost the first match in my come back/nat-debut

...Troels/Idless
elara

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

21) If your opponent has a dirty player and you don't, then don't foul back. Their fouls hurt more than yours so keep the ref's eye where it belongs - on your opponent!

Of course there are exceptions like ST5 wardancers and MA11 gutter runners who should be fouled on principle Smile
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

For our non-American football watching friends, this as known as the 'punt'.

I still remember the first time someone did this to me. Spent 15 minutes trying to finish my last turn because I was laughing so hard. Just never occurred to me for some reason. Scored him a well-earned tie, if I remember correctly.

That was me Mojo. I've used that tactic a few other times with those elves as well. Hail Mary is also good when a coach tries an all out rush into your backfield, just lob it over their heads and deep into their half of the pitch.

It is amazing how many coaches forget that you can throw to an empty square on the field.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with most of what has been said here except for the fouling... I think it is totaly unnecesary to foul no matter the circumstances (unles a prone block-guy is lying next to your ball-carrier but that's just poor planning. You shouldn't be standing there then) and therefor I never ever foul unless the other guy fouls me first... If you would still get the spp's for a foul I'ld say "foul away" 'cause then you would be getting something out of it but as it is fouling is nothing more then potentially ruiining the other team (believe me, a dead BG just because he was lying somewhere isn't funny) and killing the other coach's fun to accomplish nothing more then you could have achieved with some better positioning and coaching.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling achieves less players on the field, getting in the way of your drive.

I foul a fair bit and usually I'd be just as happy with a BH as anything more serious.The exception being Wardancers, Gutter Runners, Werewolves and Tree's, they deserve to die.

note: If I have those players I fully expect to receive the same treatment

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, this is not a fouling thread, lets nip that part of the discussion in the bud now.

Z
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah.. we've talked fouling to death.. do a search in the forums if you want to find a thread to post it in.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

On topic:

42.5) Never underestimate the power of chain pushing. If you find yourself in a TZ and one square out of reach, see if you can get a good push in the right direction with an extra man or two thrown in the mix.

37 3/5) 1-Turners are great for those desperate plays, but if they fail (and the frequently do) you're hosed. Save it until you need it. 2 turns to score a TD is still pretty good. Smile

Slightly off topic (ignore if so desired):
Darkwolf wrote:
That was me Mojo...

Yes. Must give credit where it's due. Still laugh about it and look for an opportunity to pull the same stunt whenever possible. Except that I always fumble when I try it. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

20-something: When all else fails, laugh. If your 100+spp big guy rolls tripple skulls against a halfling, kills himself, and your apoth fails, there's nothing else you can do. If you cant see the humor in stupid situations like that, you might have chosen the wrong hobby.
sourwyrm

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2004 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have two easy rules. Always have a guy that's in scoring position, and always have a safety. I have lost count of the times that a player loses the game to me, cause he/she? didn't put a player in scoring position the turn before.
 Jump to: