31 coaches online • Server time: 01:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Force

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be verry interesting to set up a experimental Division that uses the official rules exept ageing.
Ageing is still debated throughout the online bloodbowl community.
Surely there would be sufficent coaches to join this division with enough teams to produce an interesting amount of data.
This could help to evaluate and better judge the effect that ageing has on the game.

Right now the discussion about weather or not it is needed to keep team growth in check lacks the data about how teams would grow under the latest official rules, with ageing turned off. In most discussions teams and team ratings from erlier editions of bloodbowl are used for comparison and to proove ageing is needed to prevent teamratings/strenth from skyrocketing.

Now with the latest rules review done, the DivX has run out of things to experiment with. The no ageing experiment could run for a limited period of time, for example 3 month. After that period, teams could be compared and some conclusions could be draw.
cusi

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I like your idea force

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm totally for it. My chaos team is getting destroyed by aging. It's frustrating to no end.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

(Definition of DivX says no but aside from that...)

It's not a particularly bad idea for a league/division, I suppose, but I'm still against using divX for it. Division X was set up for a specific purpose. While your rationale of the RR making it less important is quite a good one, it's still contrary to the reason that divX was created and therefore I have to put my vote in as no.

Say, here's an idea that I've presented before... How about running your own league with the house rule (no aging) that you just came up with? I'm sure you could publicize it here without offending the powers that be (how much of a draw will it really be. Not an insult, there are just enough people around that a few won't be missed) and there's even free, open source tools to run it (just search for "blood bowl" and you get a few options).

You can feel free to steal my acronym and call it T.O.B.Y. - This Online Bloodbowl's Yours!

No, this isn't trying to flame your idea, Force. Really. It was a good idea and well presented. The last bit was a bit of a jab, true, but honestly intended in good fun. This is simply a suggestion that perhaps if you want something done your way, maybe you can do some of the work, rather than trying to get everyone else to do it for you. Rather than trying to convince people, how about showing them?

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

already did it months ago
there wasnt enough interest to have klipp make the division
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=670&highlight=aging+league

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well what would stop the bashy teams from DOMINATING that?
Elves and skaven gain spp fast, and die quick... Chaos gain spp slow(example) and virtually never die, at least compared to aforementioned elves...

so those dorfs, chas and other high av teams would start dominating, because they are injury free, leaving the coaches such as me left with no choice bu t to bash or pass on the league... Aging is there for a reason. Leave it be, or give bashy teams something else that makes em hurt more... (really really really expensive rerolls (im talking 200k a piece) or EVEN more expensive players.... Or something else (like a free claw per game for nonbashy teams or something (call it "security") But dont just drop the aging and be done with it...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that would be what would happen as well but he made a good point. The idea was to accumulate data. Running a division that way would prove it. If only as an experiment it's an interesting idea. Think of it as Chem Lab, only fun. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Then at least try to balance it out... since we KNOW that will happen
cusi

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i doubt thats true dread, aging hurts agility as much or more then the bashyt eams in a league... the agility teams will gain mroe skills and have more aging rolls in a league then a bashy team, and i see plenty of dwarfs and chaos warriors die and gain nigglings on the field

and no one said you had to join it so need to to attack it 8?p

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Short answer: It's not going to happen.

We are here to run a large community for LRB play. Some may want something else, and they are perfectly free to go create their own site to do it on, just as we have. If you want to see a league run the way you want to do it, you can do the work to make it happen, don't expect others to do it for you.

As for DivX, there will be plenty of things going on there in the future. Fanatic games is not going to stop publishing experimental rules, they are in fact going to expand upon them with their upcoming Playtesting Vault. DivX will continue to be used to test officialy experimental rules, ageing included, if and when they publish new test rules for it.

The Finishing Touch
peikko

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Blast from the past thread.

Before anyone else gets into it, why dont we set up division for welfs where every injury roll is 9 or less with modifications!
Force

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

1. I am only going to say this once: the topic of this thread is NOT to discuss the ageing rule itself.
2. Again, I wan to promote a "Playtesting Division" that has 50% of is teams use the ageing rules, and 50% not use it.
After a limited period of thime, the rosters should be analyzed and conclusions on the impact of the rule on the game could be drawn.
3. This should happen here on FUMBBL, because its a verry established pace with a lot of good coaches that are verry blood bowl educated and with Java Blood Bowl it uses a software that simulates the board game extremely good.
4. This is NOT about creating a House Rule for FUMBBL. Its there to give a concrete analysis to tell what happens to teams that are not exposed to ageing.

@Mr-Klipp i think its sad that you have such a conservative attitude. I understand your concern to protect the core fumbbl system from beeing scattered by non-official rules. But fumbbl has grown to such an impresssive size that it is the perfect place for betatesting new concepts in blood bowl.

Take a moment to think about it: how are experimental rules (that are allowed in DivX under your policy) going to be created?
Of course this experiment must not happen in DivX, make it DivA; An suggestion would also be to limit the amout of teams allowed to join in to lets say 100, evenly distributed races. So there is no way of this division beeing a competitor to the regular fumbbl Divisions.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Force wrote:
3. This should happen here on FUMBBL, because its a verry established pace with a lot of good coaches that are verry blood bowl educated and with Java Blood Bowl it uses a software that simulates the board game extremely good.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you aren't the one who decides what should or shouldn't happen here.

Force wrote:

@Mr-Klipp i think its sad that you have such a conservative attitude. I understand your concern to protect the core fumbbl system from beeing scattered by non-official rules. But fumbbl has grown to such an impresssive size that it is the perfect place for betatesting new concepts in blood bowl.

It may well be a great place for it, however, that is still not why we are here. We are under no obligation to do more work to set something up that is not in line with our intentions for the site, much less use our bandwidth and limited resources to support it. We are already running at near max CPU capacity with what we are doing now. If you want to test a no ageing league, you are free to run your own site to do so. You are even free to post a story on the front page of this site to let people know about it if you like. I could probably even get you set up with a story on it in the GLN when you finish building it. However, we won't be running it here.

The Finishing Touch
Force

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you a native english speaker Mr-Klipp? Well I am not. Your qoute is flawed. I was in no way telling you what should happen on fumbbl.
I was responding to your second argument, that was initially rased by BadMrMojo. This experiment should be made here on fumbbl for the reasons that i have stated. I hope you realise the difference of this statement contrary to your interpretation of it. I did not say fumbbl should/must make this experiment but this experiment should be made on fumbbl or not at all.

You are not obligated to nothing, but you should consider a change of your attitude. Your statements read like "no matter how good any idea is we will not consider it because i, mr-klipp do not like it." Statements like that result in an attitude that makes people use your system, that you put all this work in, but not consider it "theirs" and contribute feedback and ideas. A more diplomatic way of turnig ideas down would suit you better, especially when it are good ideas.

So in conclusion, i suppose that i am correct that you will reconsider a "No Ageing Division" in the future when resources allow it and more urgent/important features are implemented?
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2004 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Force actually you did you say that the no Aging rule SHOULD happen here on fumbbl. So while it may not have been your intent it was the meaning of your sentence.

Mr-Klipp Has considered it and has decided that since we are close to maximum CPU capacity at the moment we cant afford to run it (maybe if you supply some hardware for a better server it would and some cash for a better bandwidth they would have the Ability to implement the no aging rules for a division)

However personally while I might create a team in a no aging league it would probably not be a very balanced league.
 Jump to: