31 coaches online • Server time: 02:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I am seeing a lot of teams in the new client picking claw before block. Maybe i am not seeing the attraction, could someone please explain to me why lots of coaches see it as a must take? The only time i have played against one of these teams they conceded at half time due to claw being next to useless against my necros.

My points against the new claw are as follows

1/ Given that the average armour is around the 8 mark claw only gives a +1 to armour rolls on average now. Yes i know that vs AV9 +2, but then again at AV7 it is completely useless.

2/ It also seems that the next popular choice is to follow up claw with mightyblow, before getting block. This means that you now break armour on 7's up. Still doesn't seem that great to me, afterall with just mb you will be breaking elven/skaven armour at 7's up too, to me it now says that most of the time it will be +2 to armour rolls, if not it will be +1/+1, like a really bad claw/RSC player of old.

3/ by now you have a player with 2 skills that hasn't even got block yet, spread this across the team like a lot of chaos related teams seem to be doing and you have a very unreliable re-roll burning team at your disposal, playing against would could easily be AV7 blodge wood elves. Can't see that one being a close contest. Even against humans you will be against blocking guarding players, have fun trying to get your nerfed claws doing much there too.

Maybe this is just the excitement of being able to choose claw on a normal roll, but is it just me that sees this as bad team development, or will we just see paper/rock/scissors if ranked takes up the new ruleset, with choas only wanting to play dwarves, who only want to play elves, who only want to play chaos?

Can someone please explain what the attraction to claw before block is?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It's new.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it makes sense to have a heavy hitter.
Claw mb might be a route for a single beastman. Makes sense.
...having it all across the board, doesn't.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the answer to the first question is yes, Claw is worth it.

As to whether it should be taken before Block, I would say not.

I would expect most Chaos teams to go Block / M Blow / Claw, with a splattering of Tackle and Piling On, meaning they will be removing alot of players from the pitch. But Block would be the key first skill and M Blow is likely to effect a wider range of opponents, unless they intend to take Claw and just pick games against Orcs and Dwarves.
badgertheking

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a rotters team in the new client with no block and all claw and MB as a laygh and a bit of a experiment, and guess what.......
There match records are poor, possibly the worst I have Smile
bxnyc

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I would think having the first player to get a skill up or two is being turned into the teams hitter.

think of a team where the first skill on the first lino is DP and instead of taking dp for the damage now (cuz its nerfed) people want mutations!
Grod

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw is vastly inferior to Mighty Blow in LRB 5/6. In LRB 4, it had similar strength.

So the first skill should really be a choice between Block and Mighty Blow (for eligible players)

Claw does stack well with Mighty Blow however, but I would definitely take Mighty Blow first (and personally, block before that).

Oscar Wilde
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think once things are out of beta you'll see teams going back to more traditional team-building. Or maybe once people get over the fact that mutations are normal rolls now. Or maybe we're just going to see a large percentage of chaos teams that go Claw->MB->PO->Block, and get torn apart by wood elves because none of their players have Block or Tackle yet.

IMO:
Beastman: Block, MB, Claw; or Block, Guard, MB
Chaos Warriors: Block, Guard, Tentacles; or Block, Guard, MB, Claw

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
svemole

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Block before claw imo. but claw is a very good skill as long as you use it right and target the high armor players.
Sionis

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw in LRB 6, to my understanding, is almost in the 'situational' side of things. Block and Mighty Blow just seem vastly superior.
bxnyc

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

whatabout giving everyone on a high MA team wrestle instead of block? has this been tried? I would think it would work almost as well, taking both players down and the high MA team just runs completely away after using it to clear some TZs
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Always take MB before claw. If you want to do lots of damage fast and hope for not rolling both down, skip block to take claw first.

I have actually seen chaos teams that have skipped block on the warriors and taking MB as first skill for all of them perform pretty good. For the beasts though you would want block for stability.
floppeditbackwards

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the word you're looking for is balanced. Is it was claw/rsc used to be? no. of course not. how could it be? lrb5+ is a different game than lrb4. Claw doesn't turn a player into an automatic killing machine like it used to, but at the same time, orcs and dwarves don't live forever like they used to.

Like someone said above, it's the kinda thing you want on just a few guys. My first inclination is to put it on the guys who are gonna be gettin dirty in the trenches, since they're most likely to be hitting av9 guys the most frequently.

super secret tech: wolf+dauntless= troll slayer on roids
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't take claw before block now (in LRB4) if it wasn't up to the vagaries of the dice whether I could take it at all.
No way I'd take a weaker version (unless block got a lot weaker too...)

THe only possible exception being something like a BoB or Saurus (who somtimes take MB first) where getting SPP is problematic but even there I suspect that the numbers favour block as knocking more opponents down mpore than makes up (I suspect) for the lower chance of taking them out when you do.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2010 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
It's new.

I think maysrill have something here.
It is pretty interesting reading all these LRB6-discussions with people arguing who in the best case have read the rulebook and played a handful of LRB5 games, but most of them refer to things as it was LRB4 they were talking about.

I bet most people who play in the old client don't know exactly what different skills does, but more test things out as they go. Also people check the skill-lists to see what other people have taken instead of evaluating themself.

I am looking forward to the public play of this client, so many n00bs to pwn that run around with only claws and dp on their teams. Very Happy
 Jump to: