42 coaches online • Server time: 14:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Carnis

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

All the odds are on DS's site: http://slobb.doubleskulls.net/injury.php

That being said going Claw before block is almost always suboptimal. If your opponent has block, then taking block obviously has no effect & you should really be taking Piling on.

There's a very good old and undervalued thread by martin about killing in Cyanide's site as well:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22557&p=334639&hilit=MiOn#p334639

He has a great quick summary about it as well:

So, in summary, the statistically most effective development for killing would be:
Blockless player => PiOn => Mighty => (Block) => Claw => Frenzy
Block Player => PiOn => Mighty => Claw => Frenzy

In practice you always take MB before PO, because you always get to use MB and the difference between them is not that great. But the coaches picking Claw should really be picking Block or Piling on and only after that think about it.

There are some bits about martin's tables that didnt make sense to me, like comparing the value of Claw vs Block as 3rd skill it seemed to me that frenzy was also stronger than Claw as skill #3..
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Maysrill certainly makes a good point, but there's enough bloodthirsty coaches out there that go into a game with the mindset 'KILL=WIN' regardless of the final score. They will pack their teams with claw/MB/PO as quickly as they can! Of course there's no escape from the killfreaks in the box (where the big boys play), but they will suffer somewhat for their blood soaked outlook in Ranked (unless Manbush is about, he plays anyone!)

Thankfully I don't know of any coach with that kind of outlook...do you? Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
I made these tables a while back for another thread. I didn't deem necessary to add any "Claw" column as any observative reader will just look at the av7 row to know the effect of claw.

Break armor

KO+

Cas

There seems to be an error in your calculations on the Cas+ column for Piling on/MB & Piling on when crossreferenced with the KO+ column.

Basicly there's four ways of using PO, and your calcs show the best of both worlds.

The noob way (not using it)
The very conservative way (using on stuns)
The less conservative way (using on stuns & AV)
The very killy way (using on stuns, AV & KOs)

Your calcs seem to combine ways 3 & 4 in that you calc the best possible odds for breaking armor, best possible odds for causing KO+ and best possible odds for causing CAS. In reality, if you reroll KOs to get more CAS your odds of KO+ decrease by about the same as the odds increase in CAS+.

Slobb.doubleskulls' PO -AV will give you the real figures using piling on AV, but basicly while maximising KO+, the CAS-odds are slightly worse at about:

MB/PO
6: 31,76%
7: 26,77% - 5% difference!!
8: 20,45%
9: 14,17%
10: 8,56%
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

i calculated the killingest way. Why have a ko if you can RR for a cas!

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:

Then you should make reductions on the KO+ column to make it coherent!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Carnis wrote:
zakatan wrote:

Then you should make reductions on the KO+ column to make it coherent!

that's why they are separate tables
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a coherent table. Just a bit lacking on cas info if you are looking for a ko.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Lakrillo wrote:
I am looking forward to the public play of this client, so many n00bs to pwn that run around with only claws and dp on their teams. Very Happy

the smart lrb4 "n00bs" that run around with only claw/dp on their teams...

will be running around with dp/sg & mb/po Wink

--j

I have to disagree. I see SG is a near-pointless skill on non-stunty teams. Your aim when fouling is at least to break armor and for important fouls you will want to bring the AV down to at least 3 or 4 anyway, which further reduces the worth of SG and moves it in the territory of borderline team-bloat...
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:

Break armor

KO+

Cas

How would these percentages change against a Stunty player?

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

How would these percentages change against a Stunty player?

From DS site above linked:

Stunty, Piling On-Av, Mighty Blow
Code:
Av   Penetrate   Stun   KO   Cas   Score
7   82.64%   13.82%   30.91%   37.91%   .534
6   92.28%   13.02%   34.92%   44.35%   .618
5   97.22%   11.62%   37.25%   48.35%   .670
Juff

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

soranos wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
Lakrillo wrote:
I am looking forward to the public play of this client, so many n00bs to pwn that run around with only claws and dp on their teams. Very Happy

the smart lrb4 "n00bs" that run around with only claw/dp on their teams...

will be running around with dp/sg & mb/po Wink

--j

I have to disagree. I see SG is a near-pointless skill on non-stunty teams. Your aim when fouling is at least to break armor and for important fouls you will want to bring the AV down to at least 3 or 4 anyway, which further reduces the worth of SG and moves it in the territory of borderline team-bloat...

If your SG is making a gangfoul, you're doing it wrong and SG is useless.

SG is for the opportunistic cheap shots!
On1

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also just foul with SG to get your opponent to foul back and be ejected!

It works every time!
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sneaky git is not useless at all. I would never take it on a double but if im playign with elves i will be sure to take a DP sneaky git. If you get enough Tz's on an opponent so that you require a 7 or more to break their armour then you are twice as likely to injure them than you are to getting sent off because DP is optional so if you roll a double 3 then you opt not to use DP and your player will stay on the pitch if you not and you manage to injure them - then happy days.
Also On1 is right about fouling can get your opponent to start fouling and get the self sent off which is funny.
Here is the proof -

ejection prob

damage prob

eject vs damage

Anyway this thread is about Claw not sneaky git

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's all about the middle ground, really. Is claw worth having on your team? Absolutely! Is claw a skill to give every player? Absolutely not!

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2011 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Over time it will doubtless become clear what the best order and combinations are: people who haev already played lots of playtest games may already know. However for someone like me who has only played two, I have ideas and am hoping to find that optimum spread of skills that no-one else has thought of. Obviously this is unlikely (a bit like the opening day of the season where everyone secretly hopes their team could win the league)but it's damn exciting! Hell it's exciting enough that I plan to make five or six box teams on Saturday.
 Jump to: