50 coaches online • Server time: 17:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a little confused about how hypno works in LRB6 I have read the rules and it still isn't totally clear to me?

Can you use Hypnotic Gaze when passing blitzing handing off etc?

The rules only say it must be done at the end of the players movement so you cannot move after doing it but can you throw or handoff still?
I always thought you could in LRB6 but having just failed to do that with Eldril in a FFB game on the new client I am not sure anymore.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

You may only hypno gaze as part of a move action. So, no throwing, handing off, blitzing etc...
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Do the rules actually say that though? The rules say - The player may use Hypnotic Gaze at an the end of his move action.

Edit: So it stands to reason that the player can't use it with block because he hasnt moved, and can't use it with blitz because he will need to move after the hyno gaze, but I can't see any reason why he can't pass or hand off or even foul after it.
krytie

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

"Move Action" doesn't mean any form of movement. A "Move Action" is one of the specific Actions a player can take per turn.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems pretty clear

Quote:
Hypnotic Gaze (Extraordinary): The player has a powerful telepathic ability he can use to stun an opponent into immobility. The player may use hypnotic gaze at the end of his Move Action on one opposing player who is in an adjacent square. Make an Agility roll for the player with hypnotic gaze, with a -1 modifier for each opposing tackle zone on the player with the hypnotic gaze other than the victim's. If the Agility roll is successful, then the opposing player loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass the ball, assist another player on a block or a foul, or move voluntarily until the start of his next Action or the drive ends. if the roll fails, then the hypnotic gaze has no effect.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The rules say - The player may use Hypnotic Gaze at an the end of his move action.

No doubt, at the end of Move Action (italics from rule book)

That is not the players movement, but the specific action "Move Action" as explained in the rulebook. You can chose between Move Action, Block Action, Blitz Action, Pass Action, Handoff Action, Foul Action....

Only Move Actions means therefore no blocking blitzing fouling etc... with hypnogaze.....
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

"The player may use hypnotic gaze at the end of his Move Action on one opposing player who is in an adjacent square."

As you can see, in the rules Move Action is capitalized and italicised. Thus indicating that you need to declare a Move Action in order to use the skill. If you declare a different type of action (foul/pass euutc) you therefore may not use the skill.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! Too slow! Very Happy
uuni

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Player Actions are explained in the page 7 of LRB6. It also contains a non-exclusive list of Actions in the game. It is important to note that the word Action is a keyword when spelled with capital A.

There are following Actions in the BB:
* Move Action
* Block Action
* Blitz Action
* Pass Action
* Hand-off Action
* Foul Action
and an extra Action that has no name but is described in the Bombardier Skill.

Hypnotic Gaze can be used at the end of of Move Action.

Blood Lust Skill says, that when a Block Action was declared and a Blood Lust roll activates bloodlust, the player can change the Block Action to be a Move Action. Therefore at the end of such Move Action, the player can also use Hypnotic Gaze.

The at the end of Action phase is apparently a bit under debate. At least the Blood Lust skill specifies, that of things that happen at the end of Action, bite-a-thrall must have happened before the player can make pass-the-ball, hand-off-the-ball, or score-a-goal. It has been interpreted that therefore at least hypnose-an-opponent can be resolved before biting-a-thrall if the active coaches so chooses.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay thanks everyone, thats cleared that up for me. Guess I have been using it a bit wrong all this times :S

I am clearly wrong but just to pedantic the wording does say 'may' use it. Which could be interpreted as he can also use it any other time he wants too otherwise the rule book would be written the player 'can only' use it or 'may only' use it. lol Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Actions consist of steps that are not explained in any one place in the rules. Often those steps are described in the text in a constant expression with noncapital letters, ie "throws a block", "leaves the square".

I have deduced that there are at least the following steps of Actions in BB: throw-a-block, leave-a-square, pass-an-object, hand-off-the-ball, commit-a-foul, hypnose-an-opponent. Of these, throw-a-block and leave-a-square occur during the players Action and the rest at the end of his Action. Actions specify, which steps are allowed with the Action. Block Action allows one throw-a-block. Move Action allows leave-a-squares as many times as the players Movement Allowance, and after that optinally two more with Go For It mechanism. Blitz allows total of players Movement Allowance amount of leave-a-squares, from which the player can exchange one to throw-a-block. Pass Action is same as Move Action but it allows pass-an-object at the end of the Action, Hand-off Action is similar but with hand-off-the-ball instead of pass-an-object. Et cetera.

Mind you, that this is just my own deduction of the rules, and others may disagree with it.

My main point is, that it is different to throw a block and to declare a Block Action. Similarly, it is different to move a player and declare a Move Action. Hope this helped!
f_alk

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Edit: I didn't get the joke, so I wrote a nit-picking but worthless reply which with this edit is now deleted.

Last edited by f_alk on %b %15, %2010 - %20:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post 1 Posted: Sep 15, 2010 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I know, it was just a joke Wink
Hazelnutsoup

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you make a "move" of zero squares? i.e. can I stand still and HG the person in the square next to me, or must I dodge away and move back in to his TZ?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you can make a move of 0 squares and then use hypno gaze.
 Jump to: