18 coaches online • Server time: 06:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gimoboy

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2004 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

well saxu if u wanna leave game just because i got 12 players to the game instead of 11 its fine for me but man get a grip
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, specifically the issue here, to my mind, is that the SR challenge system almost everyone here at FUMBBL uses cannot take freebooters/wizards into the equation if they are added at the last moment. So, if a SR 200 team challenges an SR 200 team with alot of cash they could end up facing a team with a much higher SR due to freebooters/wizards. This will, AFAIK apply to coach stats, but gives one coach a major advantage over the other.

So a few possible solutions;

1) Make hiring any player after the match is agreed on, without your opponent's permission, a violation of FUMBBL ettiquette like last turn fouling. Both are certainly allowed by the LRB and both actually have a fair use in a non-open setting.

2) Have a checkbox on your team for freebooters/wizards. You can only hire them if this box is checked. In turn, this would add some value based on your treasury to your SR. Hiring players after the game was agreed to without checking this box would be a rule violation.

Neither of these would apply to league, tournies, or such, just open style play (open/divx/stunty).
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2004 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I think my previous argument kinda crumbled but the point still stands.

It's a sleazy tactic. It may or may not technically be legal by FUMBBL rules and implementation but either way it's still a lame thing to do. So don't.

Fortunately, in almost 300 games, I can't think of a single time that it's come up for me. I don't think it's really that big of a problem.

If you have issues with it, check your opponent's roster beforehand. It's an open league. You can turn someone down if they have too much cash. It's happened before. I personally couldn't bring myself to care enough to do so but you all have that option, at least.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Just my last game had this problem. I was a bit angry when I noticed a star on my oppos team list which wasn't in the roster. First I though I could just end the game there but checked freebooting time from lrb. Okay, had to play the match because I had accepted the challenge and freebooting really happens in the pre-game sequence.

I'd really understand freebooting a player for a scheduled league match where you might really need that player and you had to play against certain opponent but it isn't funny in a random game when it leads to a signifant advance for the other player. Made it a draw this time and have to say I had fun to add him to my black list Smile
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm while this has happened to me occasionally (sometimes with being told and sometimes without) it shouldnt matter that much as 1-2 extra players is not an automatic win for your opponent and killing the stars is fun also winning vs a stronger team is fun. I personally ask for the match either with the wizard/Star on my roster or I ask if I can hire one before the match if I really want one (oh and in tourneys no one cares when you hire stars as they have to play you anyway which is why you just put them on your roster well prior to the match)
Grod

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

You can always check out how much spare cash he has, so you know whether there is a chance he may make purchases or not.

Oscar Wilde
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2004 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

well, I think the hiring of a star is actually meant to be a nasty surprise, but since I have not faced a team utilizing one in all my Fumbbl games yet, nor used one myself, I really don't think this is too much of a problem..
Saxo

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Gimoboy wrote:
well saxu if u wanna leave game just because i got 12 players to the game instead of 11 its fine for me but man get a grip

Well Gimoboy, try and understand the issue and not just think up a situation where u feel justified in coming with such a lame statement. The issue is, that I don’t want to play a person who tries to bend the rules or mislead me. It is not whether i want to play because of 11 or 12 players.
AeoN2

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
well, I think the hiring of a star is actually meant to be a nasty surprise, but since I have not faced a team utilizing one in all my Fumbbl games yet, nor used one myself, I really don't think this is too much of a problem..

I've used Nobbla on an orc team which had a few mng's, just to get up to 11 players (he was hired way before I got a game... and he turned out very useful)... and my khemri who play with no honor whatsoever isn't afraid of tossing in a Ramtut without notice... besides, you should _always_ check your opponents roster before the game... and after you've done that you know all the surprises that may be thrown at you.

--
AeoN2
zredna

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that it should be rather easy to fix the post match buying of new permanent players. My sugestion is that after all matches the team should have status S and the status should be changed to R after all skill-rolles are done and after all permanent player buyings. When the team has status R it is possible to hire freebooters/wizards/stars. This will make fumbbl even more water proof, I hope that no one uses this loop hole, but I dont mind it is made impossible.

Zredna
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's not against the site rules to hire players after agreeing to play a game. The reason for this is that it's a nightmare to enforce it the other way around. It's very hard to prove that someone bought a player after the agreement to play, so we'll just have to live with this ability to "con" people into games. Mind you, you have full access to view your opponent's roster, and the amount of treasury they have. If you believe that your opponent might buy a player and that this would change the game so much, just don't agree to play.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Just don't play anyone who has lots of money stored up in their treasury, this is why you should arrange matches going off the TR rather than the team strength system, its also why the TR systems should contain a teams treasury in its rating.

If you can't stick to these two simple things then you have no one to blame but yourself.
olivers

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have loads of money for my stunty teams but had to buy and fire RR's to get my ST/TR down to help with the new handicap rolls. With 560K in the bank the opponent got loads of handicap rolls.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
...I personally couldn't bring myself to care enough to do so but you all have that option, at least.

I'll retract that statement after Klipp snuck Nobbla into a game to kick my butt all up and down the field.

Smile

{ edit: just in case the very good point which follows is directed at me, the smiley face means I'm joking. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %15, %2004 - %23:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Twahn

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ummm... the fact that the hiring of Stars/Freebooters is part of the pre-game sequence (that being after two coaches have agreed to play, obviously) means that adding one to your roster prior to accepting a challenge is completely within the spirit of the game.
This is the way it's always done in tabletop. Are we all so busy picking cherries and building coach ratings that we can't just deal with it!

It ain't that big a deal... why are we all so busy picking over the rosters of our would be opponents, looking for that perfect opponent that we think our team will be well able to beat? Pathetic.
I, for one, very rarely check my opponent's roster at all before accepting a match. The TR/STR displayed to me are more than enough to ascertain that it's not a complete mismatch. If the team is not perfectly suited to yours (too much block, tackle, claw..., too many players, a Star, too much money!?), get over it! Challenge yourself.

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
 Jump to: