42 coaches online • Server time: 18:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
scionkiller

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

I just signed up to FUMBBL and I'm just trying to run the client to see if I could use FUMBBL for a local league at my company. (I'd be interested in some other games for practice too).

However, the game won't run. When I click Play, it prompts me to run the Java webstart, which I do. The program then prompts me for the JavaBBowl directory.

What is that? just a place where temp files are saved? I have tried selecting several folders (on my desktop, or in my documents) but the dialog just goes away and then immediately comes back. I looked around on this site for something I'm supposed to install, but don't see anything.

Also, the program seems to have a bug, because I cannot cancel the dialog by pressing X or Cancel it just immediately pops up again, which forces me to kill it in the Task Manager.

I'm running Windows 7, if that's relevant.

Cheers!
scionkiller

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 and I have Java 6 update 20 installed on my machine.
On1

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

try place the file in your gamefolder.

(Hmm have you even installed the client?)

If not, try look into FFB, that is a client in beta stage. If you create a FFB team, you can click play right away. No client install needed.

Last edited by On1 on Oct 06, 2010 - 23:10; edited 1 time in total
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you install the game?
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The play link is for the LRB4 client which requires a download.

You are probably better off creating a Fantasy Football team. Latest rules and no download.
Then click the betatest link next to the team name.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In order to play games you need the JavaBBowl client. You can find it through google, or maybe a friendly soul can send you a link where you can download it. Once it's downloaded and installed it shouldn't be a problem.

However if you make a FFB (betatest) team, you don't need to download a client. Everything gets downloaded when you start up a game. Note: this client isn't completed yet, and is still being tested.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure what you mean by that.

I did notice that the dialog has the option to create a new folder greyed out for both the desktop and My Documents, so perhaps there is a permissions problem there.

But I tried creating a folder at the C:\ level, where the new folder option works. I just made C:\FUMBBL\ and tried to select that, and it still didn't work.
scionkiller

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh...

I'm guessing there's a reason why FUMBBL doesn't just link to the program to make it easy to find? A legal one maybe?
Fela

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Spot on. GW went a little wild earlier this year.

Coincidentally however, there is this new client in development. It's called Fantasy Football and has nothing to do with the protected Blood Bowl franchise. The implemented rules Do look a bit familar though Smile.

The client is currently in beta (thus the 'betatest' link for starting a match instead of a 'play' link, visible once you created a team in the [F] division).

Other than with skyjunkie's client, which is used in all regular divisions - most here guess until january - there is no actual client to download. The java web start routine will deliver everything you need to play a match and the actual calculations happen on the Fantasy Footbal server.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2010 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

unofficial explanation as i am not part of the site staff: fumbbl offers a platform - a platform only. you can play via whatever you want and submit results. possibilities are "tabletop" and create a result file, skijunkies client, the new FFB client or maybe other stuff. now the skijunkie client has been challenged to copyright by Games Workshop (and fumbbl with it as it offered links to the skijunkie client and some other stuff).

that is the reason there is no link to the skijunkie client. however, to play FantasyFootball (a new client), you can do it here. Also, judge for yourself if you want to use skijunkies lrb4 client. Have a look in your pm in any case.

rgds reis
RC

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Just google skijunkie javabloodbowl and download the game from there (thats for lrb4 which is in ranked (r div) and in league (L div) and achademy). If you just wanna play a game then create a team for the fantasy football league and play in the (f - division). No download required for that and the ruleset is lrb5 and the game is in beta testing so still some buggs to iron out.

When you download the game from skijunkie select your personal folder or the game folder as the place you put it in. Seems to work better than in programs,

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, well, this is getting off topic, but you guys seem pretty helpful, so I might as well ask.

Here's the situation. I want to start a league of players at my office. I'm new to the game, I've played 2 face to face matches (against another beginner) and several matches against the (atrocious) AI in Cyanide's Blood Bowl game. What I want is an easy way to run my league, and have team rosters, game histories, etc on the web. Ideally, whatever system I would use would allow:
- face to face matches
- online play
- some special league advancement rules to help the teams gain team value (it's likely to be a small league that only plays a few season games before a tournament)

I'm not concerned about cheating, like I would be if I was playing online against people I don't know. I like the FUMBBL interface, I just used it to make a Fantasy team, and it's very nice.

Is it easy to host my league here in the Leagues division? Are face to face matches possible? How difficult is it to upload the results manually?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Is it easy to host my league here in the Leagues division?

Ok, as far as I know it is not possible to use tabletop results on fumbbl at the moment. This is a bit in difference to what Reisender says so maybe he knows more then I, but I'd be surprised about it Smile
... The FFB client you used is still in beta for approximatly 2-3 month. All teams
in there will be deleted afterwards. It's right now not possible to use it for league play.
League play with the Javabowl LRB4 client is pretty easy. It should be no problem for you to create any kind of league you desire. For details just check the Help section.

Quote:

Are face to face matches possible?

As mentioned before, uploading tabletop results will hardly be possible.

Quote:
How difficult is it to upload the results manually?

It is possible to create your own rosters for javabowl, but that hasn't anything to do with fumbbl and the site will not support such rosters.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

You can host tabletop leagues on OBBLM at stuntyleeg.com

http://www.nicholasmr.dk/index.php?sec=obblm

http://www.stuntyleeg.com/

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2010 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if you want to incorporate all of those features, than stuntyleeg.com is what you are looking for.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: