69 coaches online • Server time: 21:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
soranos

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
RC wrote:
I recomend wrestle over block on gutters. They can take down blodgers and have enough mv next turn to get out of dodge. I hate the new dauntless since its completely unreliable, much rather take strip ball and go for 1d or -2d on non sure hands players.

Secondly, there is no eye in LRB 6 and any gutter hitting the floor is likely to find himself attached to a boot in fairly short order.

The eye never stopped anybody from fouling high quality players like expierienced GRs. And even if, with the eye on you the chance of getting thrown out was still only about 42%, now the risk is at about 30%, with DP being heavily nerfed. The nerfing of the DP clearly outweights this difference of 12% in my eyes.

What I try to say here is, while it is sensitive to protect important players from fouls, basing crucial skill selections on it is no longer necessary. If your gutter grounds the ball carrier with wrestle the other player will have important things to do than fouling your GR.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

soranos wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
RC wrote:
I recomend wrestle over block on gutters. They can take down blodgers and have enough mv next turn to get out of dodge. I hate the new dauntless since its completely unreliable, much rather take strip ball and go for 1d or -2d on non sure hands players.

Secondly, there is no eye in LRB 6 and any gutter hitting the floor is likely to find himself attached to a boot in fairly short order.

The eye never stopped anybody from fouling high quality players like expierienced GRs. And even if, with the eye on you the chance of getting thrown out was still only about 42%, now the risk is at about 30%, with DP being heavily nerfed. The nerfing of the DP clearly outweights this difference of 12% in my eyes.

What I try to say here is, while it is sensitive to protect important players from fouls, basing crucial skill selections on it is no longer necessary. If your gutter grounds the ball carrier with wrestle the other player will have important things to do than fouling your GR.

I never understood why people says that with the eye the probability of ejection is 42%.

As far as i know it's a 4+ roll and unless the RNG is broken and there is a conspirocy to favor fouling, it is a 50% ejection probabiliy.

Am I missing something here?
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not interesting in over-protecting my players, hell I don't even care if the whole team dies as long as I get the win, but a KO'd gutter can do alot less than a gutter that is on the pitch.

Odds are I will end up with a Wrestle gutter runner, but there will be alot of times when people block me with both down and if possible I want my gutters to remain standing (hopefully with the ball).

As I mentioned at the start of the thread, there are a great many ways of skilling gutter runners, depending on people play styles, my hope here was to get a discussion on the fodder.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:

I never understood why people says that with the eye the probability of ejection is 42%.

As far as i know it's a 4+ roll and unless the RNG is broken and there is a conspirocy to favor fouling, it is a 50% ejection probabiliy.

You have a 1/6 chance of arguing the call.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
zakatan wrote:

You have a 1/6 chance of arguing the call.

aah amigo

thx for clarification

that is supposing the coach hasn't been banned yet Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't like wrestle on gutters, because they are your ball carriers, it just means there is more chance of them going down if they get blocked. Giving one wrestle isnt a bad choice though.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

you can get both wrestle AND blcok, and choose accordingly

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

asharak wrote:
obvious other choices inclue dodge, +AV, fend, sidestep.

Carnis wrote:
but going from AV7 -> 8 is fine, I'd not take +AV before the first blocking skill though (Wrestle or Block), because the relative increase in survivability is about the same, but W/Block work on your turn preventing turnovers and enabling plays.

I have picked AV+1 for a rookie pro lineelf. In retrospect, I doubt that has been a wise choice as this player's cost now is 20k above that of a rookie HE/DE lino with exactly the same statline. Probably, I should have picked a decent skill instead, and I definitely will do next time.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

i picked +av on a DE lino and was killed by a dauntless goblin

that'll teach me

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

+av on an av7 player looks meh. Av8 still isn't that much, I feel it doesn't help protecting the player enough for 30k. +av on an av8 player (making him goes up to 9 ) looks much more interesting. Still, I'm not sure it's worth it, tho I have to really try it - and the idea of having a few av9 elves to take the hits, make screens, cage corners and other stuff like this please me greatly Smile

You still have to pay attention to the price tag of the player in the end I guess. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a player who's just there to get hit in the first turn - but of course with a bit of luck he will have seven other turns to make him useful Wink
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2010 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestle is great for fodder. Also if they somehow survive / get lucky enough to get a second skill they can become pretty decent players. One niggle on a linefodder is worth keeping unless you are rolling in cash IMO. Its only a +1 on injury for a player with a very limited life expectancy anyway, not that big a deal, surely?

wrestle/strip ball is a great combination in every team. That might work for a gutter, but personally I agree its more important to keep them on their feet to a) keep them alive and b) allow them to use their full biggest asset properly - their speed.
Sixletters

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

a bit of jump up would fix that, maybe some more important skills waiting though

a jump up block/wrestle stripball gutter runner is always going to be a threat at 9 spaces even if you knock him down
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2010 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Keeping them on their feet doesn't keep them alive very much unless they have sidestep. If wrestle is used, they can't be blocked anymore, but could be fouled if they are placed poorly. If you have a wrestle, tackle, strip ball player, nothing can keep the ball safe short of skulls or push on sure hands.
 Jump to: