60 coaches online • Server time: 21:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

At the moment the new client supports the opionality of side step. While it is admireable to have many options, in some cases it is simply annoying. Among other things because it is a very common skill by now for example on snotlings.

Out of a 100 cases where side step is possible to be used I haven't had 1 so far where there was even theoretically a point in using it: Let me explain. The only reason where it would make theoretically sense would be if three players block all three squares where the sidestepper could be pushed if he hadn'T side step. In any other case the coach might aswell just choose to sidestep there by himself.

In any scenario where the sideline is one of the three squares it is a stupid idea to use ita for obvious reasons.
In any scenario where the opponent pushes I will not like to give my opponent such a controll to push into somebody else 90% of the time.
In any scenario where the own team pushes into an own sidestepper in the own turn the gamedestroying sidestep bug is caused.

Right now the implementation of sidestep is less usefull then asking wether or not to use dodge.
There have been suggestions to implement an optional side step graphically on the field wich is fine IMO, but certainly a lot of work.
But unless you guys intend to implement it that way, would you please consider to make it non optional?

Thanks for everything you have done. FFB is an outstanding piece of work even in beta already.
Sidestep optional or not it will be great, And I didn't want to disturb you in your work too much, but this thing annoys me on such a constant level that I really felt like I have to point it out at least once.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe something like only asking about side step if all the normal three push back squares are occupied?

By the way, is it possible to side step out of the pitch intentionally? I could see this being useful in a rare few circumstances (getting the ball out of bounds and hoping for a lucky throw-in).
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
By the way, is it possible to side step out of the pitch intentionally? I could see this being useful in a rare few circumstances (getting the ball out of bounds and hoping for a lucky throw-in).

afaik, you can only get out of bounds when you have no other options. If however all optional squares are occupied you MUST push out of bounds and cannot push into another player.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

you need optional sidestep when chainpushing for your own players, also it cant be graphically presented, as SS vs opponent chooses would then become a contest of who clicks first.. You could intentionally get surfed by choosing not to use SS, although I see this as marginal, but imo you really need to be able to choose whether to use it when you push your own players..
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Biggest problem here is the sidestep bug, which will be solved in next version.

Second problem is the popup.
We have the intention to change sidestep so that if all three normal pushback-squares are occupied, you get the option of not using sidestep.
We even considered getting rid of the popup totally and have the arrows flashing for the player that should select the pushback and clicking the center square (on your player) for not using sidestep.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:

We even considered getting rid of the popup totally and have the arrows flashing for the player that should select the pushback and clicking the center square (on your player) for not using sidestep.

Oooh, then you can missclick in your opponents turn too.

But is sounds like a good way to implement it.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
and clicking the center square (on your player) for not using sidestep.

sounds great Smile
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The popup appearing every time is due to signaling the opponent that he needs to do something outside of his own turn (we'll need an audio signal somewhere down the road as well I think). As it doesn't matter much to have the popup with just the ok (instead of yes/no) it pops the question every time. In one of the earlier releases the popup rule has been almost exactly as described in the original post and lots and lots of coaches simply did not realize that the system was waiting for their input on the sidestepper. That's why the popup came back.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, is it possible to have some kind of visual player notification that is not a pop-up?

Oscar Wilde
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

What if you could send a wake-up noise to your oppo?

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

You could take the Wake up noises from Toejam and Earl and have an option to set them off if your opponent is not doing anything. That would make me laugh so much. Sadly it would only work against people that play with sound on.

http://www.tjande.com/sounds/wakeup1.wav
http://www.tjande.com/sounds/wakeup2.wav

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

We get a pop up in the old client for SS already. So what's the big deal about this?

In fact, this pop up is better. Lets you know that you need to pick a square but lets you choose to not do it. Clearly better than the old client.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2010 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't say i see a problem with the popup. Yes, you have to wait for your oppo to do something about it - but you have to wait for them to sidestep anyway! Better a popup so they know its them to do something than just auto-going to picking the pushback square. Easy to not notice that if you're not 100% paying attention.

Jump to: