15 coaches online • Server time: 07:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OminousBane

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, when I try and join/host a game, I get and error notice stating that the splash image is corrupted and I need to replace and restart. What does this mean. I use a Mac if it's of any relevance. Cheers
Prinz

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Means you need to install the full game and not just the 8.9 patch.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorted it, thanks for your help.
CrazyPhrog

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see the last post was a couple of years ago Sad but I just found out about the game. I finally managed to download it, and got it to work on my computer Smile but I can't get it to run when I click play on the website. It gets that "splash screen is corrupt or missing" error. I found another post with the suggested fix of re-installing everything, but it still doesn't work. Any help would be awesome.
Cheers
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

CrazyPhrog wrote:
I can see the last post was a couple of years ago Sad

Err. no, it was a couple of days ago.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to host a game (for the first time), then a window popped up and requested to choose the directory for javabbowl, which i was not able to find. (And this window was not possible to close.)
A checked the running processes, and java was there.

Is there anything else i need to download than the java suggested in the quick start menu?

Please help.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be where you saved your bloodbowl file. If its on windows 7 or vista save on the desk top or folders.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

OK first question: what are you trying to play?
(you can skip to the ANYWAY for the answer you asked for but I recommend reasing the spiel in the middle)

There are two clients, the old LRB4 client and the new FFB client.
If you are playing a Blackbox team you will use the new FFB client which downloads automatically ..ahh I see you only have an academy team. You might want to consider 'The Box' but bear in mind that you would get a random opponent who might be very good and/or very ruthless* but the advantage would be that you get to play with the new rules (CRP) to which the whole site will be converting soon; getting used to the old client just as it goes away might be frustrating.

* _Most_ players will be friendly and helpful if you tell them you're new to the site.

ANYWAY: the old client is currently in use for all other divisions including Academy (where I see you have your only team). Firstly you need to download and install the right software: this is a java APP, which runs using Java and is called Java Blood Bowl version 8.9. I will send you a pm with the url of a page that has a download link on it. Once you install that it will probably ask you where you installed it the first time you try to play -it will then create a file somewhere telling it where to go for future reference; I think you can skip this if you have it installed somewhere in the folders windows checks by default (I forget how you change that), and then ask for your password (that's the fumbbl site password).

Potentially helpful tip: If you have problems you are likely to get help quicker in IRC (not that there's anything wrong with postin here!).

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot to mention java versions.
I'm not sure exactly what the situation is now but the the javabb client ran very slow under certain versions of java. iirc the old Java 1.4.2 was ok but I think the latest versions are good too. Anyway if it takes a while between squares of player movement then that's probably the problem and it is fixable (search the forum or ask someone).

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, i have academic team according to lrb4. I have no problem if the team gets deleted later, i just want to test playing with Java. (I dont want to cause any trouble if my computer crashes. I understand it would be serious issue in the competitive league. I would like to enter the competitive league once i fully understand how the client works.)
I have tried again, this case i also found the java directory, but there was the same error message again. I would apreciate if you could send your preferred version of Java to bghandras(at)gmail.com, and explain step by step how you installed. (Yes, i checked the help, but i have not found any relevant info what do to in my case.)

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

this makes me think moving Academy to FFB next would be good.

Welcome to fumbbl by the way.
On1

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
I dont want to cause any trouble if my computer crashes. I understand it would be serious issue in the competitive league. I would like to enter the competitive league once i fully understand how the client works.

On a sidenote, notice how the description of [R]anked portrayed as the competitive league/division draws a new coach' attention.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure it doesn't ask you for you java folder; it asks for your *javabb* folder: the folder where you installed the javabloodbowl client (version 8.9).

Crashes with the old client were indeed a pain (though not usually insurmountable). The new one stores everything on the server so it's as easy as hitting play again (though obviously the opponent's time is still wasted while you reboot).

Everyone knows [B] is the only truly competitive division On1! Razz (that was the response you were looking for right?)

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
this makes me think moving Academy to FFB next would be good.

Welcome to fumbbl by the way.

I agree. With both statements Smile
incubys

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2011 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I'm being a little dum .. I can't find the JBB download to instal. Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
 Jump to: