15 coaches online • Server time: 02:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Recently I have noticed a worrying trend in FFB. Perfectly good players pick up an injury, maybe a smashed ankle, or broken collar bone. The head coach sends on the apoth to have a look. The apoth then glances to the bench signalling that there is nothing that can be done. At which point the head coach gives the thumbs done signal and the apoth slits the players throat.

This must stop!

Think of the families. I am sure Mrs Human Blitzer would rather have her husband back with a limp than not at all. Have you all no humanity?

So anyway hands up those that participate in this awful behaviour.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't help me. The last two games I played in FFB, the apothecary each time gave me two options: Killed, or Killed.

Oscar Wilde
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I have partaken in this.

The fact is, if your player has a bad enough injury that you need to send the apo in, then you need him to recover. If your Vermin picks up -Str and the only other option is Death, I have been known to take the latter.

The fact is, getting rid of a player is a lot easier if they are dead. You don't have to go through the hassle of retiring them, let alone negotiating their leaving settlement (and believe me, with the new spate of Vampire lawyers, negotiations can take a while).

As for their family, bad though it may sound, it's alot easier to explain why they are not playing when they are dead (zombies excluded of course) then when they have picked up a niggle or such.
xyon

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats an interesting point, choosing death over a (from the coaches point of view) retirement injury. Very odd and sick in some ways.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Hey Xyon you need to change your sig son, I never said anything vaguely like that!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, killing pixels is sick...

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:

The fact is, getting rid of a player is a lot easier if they are dead. You don't have to go through the hassle of retiring them, let alone negotiating their leaving settlement (and believe me, with the new spate of Vampire lawyers, negotiations can take a while).

You need to hire a dwarf lawyer then.

Vampire Lawyer for the plaintiff: We believe you owe my client 100k for the death of her husband, after your apothecary killed him following a -AG.

Dwarf Defense Attorney: Don't owe ya nothin'.

Vampire: How about 90k

Dwarf: Zero

Vampire: (*hyponotic gaze*) 80k

Dwarf: ...
Dwarf: ...
Dwarf: Nope

Vampire: 50k, or I swear I'll kill you right here!

Dwarf: (*folds arms* *looks stern*)
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with Dwarf lawyers is, they like Gold as much as the next Dwarf ... which is a lot.

Of course, the other issue we haven't covered here is Igors ... did no-one ever consider where they get their spare parts? Or souvenir sales ... sure some people are happy to pick up the odd players glove, but a lot of crowds prefer it if the player's hand is still in it.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What about when zombies and rotters can be raised. Are we then to curse our players to a life of limbo, just because they had the misfortune to break their neck? We should make a stand now!!
Calcium

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

LRB6 apoth = Image

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
What about when zombies and rotters can be raised. Are we then to curse our players to a life of limbo, just because they had the misfortune to break their neck? We should make a stand now!!

Surely from a gaming perspective, it would be just silly to choose "killed" in this case, unless it was late in the second half?

Oscar Wilde
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Surely from a gaming perspective, it would be just silly to choose "killed" in this case, unless it was late in the second half?

Unless you knew the player had just played 'that' badly his entire career, that you were actually cursing your opponent with a player that was more useless than a snotling journeyman.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:

Personally, I think the apoth is one of the main things that LRB5+ got wrong. The apoth should reroll the injury, but you should not get to choose which one. Either live with the original injury or gamble with the apoth. Sadly they chickened out and went with the boring option.

Anyway, getting a player killed is a more glorious way to end it rather than retirement.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sure the players and their families feel that death is not better than retirement.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

When playing against undead and necromantic teams it might be wise to select the corpse option. This instantly removes a key incentive for them to foul.

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
I am sure the players and their families feel that death is not better than retirement.

So?

It aint the players and families that pay the wages. Not the dwarf lawyers wages anyway.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is win!
 Jump to: