42 coaches online • Server time: 10:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CaptainKrunch

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Just got done with my second game with one particular elf team and rolled a 56 on my catcher. I of course took the Agility boost, but now I'm not sure how I want to skill him. He was the first to skill up, so I don't have anything anywhere else yet to affect my decision.

I'm not a big fan of so called "star players" that tend to score all the TDs, so I was thinking maybe a leaping blitzer? Jump into a cage or over a screen and sack the ball carrier. So what skills in what order should I take for that? Leap before Wrestle or Wrestle before Leap? And then strip ball?

Alternatively, would there be a better option? Like ball retriever with sure hands and hail mary pass? Or something else entirely? I'm very new to elves and blood bowl in general so any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

PS I don't play cyanide.
Jullutin

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

id go with the dodge and "possible" block and made him a seem like great scorer, so foe have to watch him all the time. jump would be great also. Very Happy
Lorquin

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Something like Pass Block would be great for getting the ball, if you tend to play against passing teams a lot. Otherwise, the ubiquitous Leap/Strip Ball combo is always delicious.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap all the way. Ag5 leap is awesome for getting wherever you want easily. Combines nicely with strip ball later.
Ancre

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hahaha your Catcher is part of your team Please Don't Kill My catcher Very Happy

Go Leap, it is the fun skill. You don't need to make him a dedicated blitzer/ball sacker to make that skill useful, and it's pretty fun to see him jump all over the place and all. Be aware that he will die soon though, as you will use him more aggressively than before and he still have av7 - enjoys him while it lasts ! I don't remember if Nerve of Steel applies when picking up the ball as well, I think not, but if so, you'll have a monster of a player with leap.

Another safe choice is dodge. Less fun, but helps protect him and helps him in his daily life. And eventually you'll want block or wrestle too. And if he's still alive after that ... well your elves survive quite long don't they ? Very Happy
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

i would go block + dodge for him first. for survivability
JHassler

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge > Wrestle > Leap > Strip Ball

Dodge first as it is useful for protection and combos with the +AG... after that, he becomes a possible ball-popper.

He can skill up quite quickly being a constant scoring threat and wrestle in LRB6 is okay as the DP is nerfed and you tend to see less of them than in LRB4 (oh, and the Khemri are nerfed and you see less of them too).

_Hass
gacska

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

dodge wrestle > leap > strip
boruppeter

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go Dodge > Wrestle > Strip Ball > Leap
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorquin wrote:
Something like Pass Block would be great for getting the ball, if you tend to play against passing teams a lot. Otherwise, the ubiquitous Leap/Strip Ball combo is always delicious.

Pass Block is the suck.

It's a skill I might give a player as a 4th or 5th skill on a well developed team. And even then I can probably find something better.

It's just too easy to negate. Don't pass the ball or move outside his pass block range. Either way it's a passive skill that will get used once in a while but most of the time a waste of TV.

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge 1st... Keeps him alive a little better and makes him a deadly Touchdown machine in the passing game. AG5 and the Catch Reroll with Nerves of Steel so no amount of marking players can modify his ability to catch the ball. Then he has AG5 and a Dodge Reroll to escape with the ball for the score. That is hard to stop.

You say that you don't want to just score with him like crazy so you can spread the SPPS around. Fine. You don't have to score with him to make him a great weapon on offense. Use him as a decoy. Send him down field to the Left with a Lineman to assist him. When they try to stop that you screen off the Right side and score with someone else.

Having such a great threat like this Catcher opens up the field for you to run anyone you want in for the score... and if they don't respect your Catcher SCORE WITH HIM... get the Wins you need to advance your team further.

Also use him to help you skill up your other players. Your Thrower has 5 spps... a completed Quick Pass to that Catcher gets him a skill. Every game you get an MVP worth 5 spps on 1 player... next game guess who is going to throw a Quick Pass to that Thrower for a skill.

Next 2 skills SideStep and Fend... in whichever order you like.
Adar

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2010 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I have two set ups for any elf catcher. An Ag5 pro elf catcher is the ultimate scoring machine so I really think you should go for an offensive set up on him. Your going to get a lot of chances to take the defensive set up on your other catchers and at least one blitzer/lineelf should be able to get +1 Ag decently soon to make a leap/strip baller without negating the NoS.

Defensive: wrestle, strip ball, dodge

Offensive: dodge, leap, block.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

make him yr ball carrier/passer - like a rushing QB - then you don't have to score with him but use him to score with others.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

dodge 1st. then as everybody said either block, leap (and then sidestep) (ball retriever/scorer) or wrestle strip ball leap (blitz ball carrier)
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a problem with the problem of having a star player that does all the scoring!!!

Every elf team needs one of those guys and he seems like the perfect canidate. Dont rob your pixels of their destiny. Let them live out their meger lives with joy and happiness.

So what if he plays 30 games and has 68 TDs. Looks like to me you have won a lot of games and have 30 MVP's to hand out to all those linos who made it happen.