42 coaches online • Server time: 18:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
truckerpunk

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2014 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. Just a heads up to the fellow linux mint users:

I just upgraded to mint 17 (a little late, I know), and as of now the cinnamon desktop environment depends on pulseaudio. So removing it, and having sound in the client, will remove your desktop. But luckily. the padsp-script works fine. To get it running, do this:

Locate your oracle java install folder:

cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin (for java 7)

Then rename the java file to java.bin:

sudo mv java java.bin

Make it a new java file:

sudo touch java

Make it executable:

sudo chmod +x java

Edit the file with a text editor:

sudo gedit java

And paste the script:

#!/bin/bash
padsp /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java.bin "$@"

Happy fumbbling on Linux mint 17.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2014 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't bash bad now though?

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so after an upgrade to Xubuntu 14-04 32 bit, the sound problem persisted, even without Pulseaudio. However, it does work on Xubuntu 64 bit (with pure alsa) - don't ask me why. It runs well with openjdk - no need for Oracle's ****.

But of course, removing pulseaudio causes some problems, like sound keys won't work anymore since the Xubuntu sound daemon relies on Pulse, but script kiddies can find their way around (it's not hard at all).

@ xnoelx: bash, bad? What the...? Laughing

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, that was only partly a joke. Bash command on linux is exploitable somehow. I forget the details, and I don't use linux myself, it was just that an article about it caught my eye a day or so before I posted that last comment.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that's the most powerful tool Linux users have. That's what make the OS so customizable. If it was bad, I wouldn't bother with Linux (and its flaws).

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Then you might want to look at http://www.techrepublic.com/article/bash-shell-vulnerabilities-plague-linux-systems-and-may-be-more-damaging-than-heartbleed/

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the bug was fixed on the next day. Razz

And I still don't have an anti-virus nor a(n activated) firewall...

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. Well I was right at the time then. Good enough for me.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2015 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just switched to Unity - now I no longer have sound issues with Pulseaudio (and on a side-note, the GTK theme is now correctly rendered), but I do have a white bar at the bottom of the screen, masking the rerolls and the chat input box...

EDIT - However, I've noticed the white bar appears when the credits window pops up... If Kalimar has time to waste, that could be a starter.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2015 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

OK guys, I have a fix for the ugly white bar at the bottom of the screen when using GNOME.

The bar is actually a windows selector and only appears after the first secondary window pops up (the credits window for that matter), in theory, it could therefore be themed like any other widget - making it transparent in your gtkrc should solve the problem... in theory.

But I have another easier, but also dirtier fix for Ubuntu users (it requires Compiz, which only works with Unity, not with gnome shell): open ccsm, go to the Window Rules section (make sure it's ticked), and select the size rules tab.

Open FUMBBL client, then in ccsm click the "new" button, click the "+" sign in the pop up, select "window class", click the "input" button (or whatever it's called in English, and select FUMBBL client. Something like that should appear: "class=net-sourceforge-jnlp-runtime-Boot".

NB: Doing so may break all the java apps from the same source - I told you, it's an ugly fix, but I personally don't care.

Then, use the following values for the size: width=1014, height=780. It simply makes it larger so the windows bar is no longer over the chat. The java app will keep trying to resize itself to the reg size whenever you move it, but Compiz will have the last word.

If the new window doesn't fit in your screen (it's the case on my laptop), remember you can also move windows by pressing alt when left-clicking a window and dragging it around with Compiz (the shortcut can probably be changed): you don't need to have the title bar accessible for that.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2015 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much, Kam.

Some month ago with a blog i fixed a problem with the audio of the client and ubuntu.

Today, with your tutorial i can look at what i write in the chat. No more /crikcets, no more /sohck.

I'm really happy. My client is perfect. When you find a fix for the RNG, tell us ;D

/cherrs
Kam

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2015 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah that's a relief for me as well. I switched from XFCE to Unity a few months ago and not being able to see the rerolls or the chat input box was a major pita.

I'll try to mess with my gtkrc later though, to see if I can make a proper fix instead of that ugly hack. Wink

Concerning the audio, pulseaudio doesn't crash in Unity as it does in XFCE, but some sounds are distorted and sound like... farts, that's... disturbing but you get used to it (and the majority play nicely anyway).

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

If you're using the trick posted above and don't want Compiz to resize the loading screen as well, you can add " & !(type=Dialog)" after the "class=xxx" rule you've created. It should look like: "(class=net-sourceforge-jnlp-runtime-Boot) & !(type=Dialog)" or "(class=com-sun-javaws-Main) & !(type=Dialog)"

"& (type=Normal)" should work too.

-----------------------

Unfortunately, I also have huge memory leaks (more than 900 MB yesterday) with Compiz when the client is opened now, but I'm almost 100% positive it's not related to this trick. It's started soon after I've enabled the animations plugin, but it may be a coincidence. I've noticed memory leaks with pulseaudio too, so that may be the culprit. I'm running tests at the moment - I'll let you know.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Could someone post a detailed How To ... I download Ccsm but I wasn't able to solve window issue ...
Tnx in advance for you replies ...
Kam

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

What desktop? If you're using Gnome 3, that won't work: Compiz isn't enabled (it's not compatible with Gnome Shell). It's only for Unity (and on a side-note, if you don't know what you're doing, follow the instructions above, but do not play with the other options of ccsm: it's likely to break one of the components of Unity at some point - Canonical used an ugly hack to make it work - but of course, if you do, by all means, have fun Very Happy).

Jump to: