52 coaches online • Server time: 00:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12763&start=0
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Old> Image New> Image Newer> Image
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Wow they are amazing too. I think they are among the best icons created on the site

Yes, I've noticed some of this diagonal stuff you're doing now (also on the icon you did for me). Very clever, I need to look into this.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Eldred, Garion & HM, thanks for the kind words. Makes it worthwhile when people appreciate the work.

HM: Love the new Pygmy. The pudginess works well. I hope you don't mind, but I fiddled with it a tiny bit to get it closer in scale to the ST2 target. Slightly under the 22 pixels I think, but the girth accounts for that. Made one with no hat as a base, one with feathers, and one with that odd hat the original is wearing. Tried to make the top more of a headdress, as the original looks a bit like a thumbtack to me. Doing it in paint, apologies for no transparency. Sorry if I interfered in your work on them.

Image Image Image

harvestmouse wrote:
Yes, I've noticed some of this diagonal stuff you're doing now (also on the icon you did for me). Very clever, I need to look into this.

Glad you like that. The spears are a great example of what you can do on a diagonal (as are your icons' helmet flaps). The diagonal spears look the same width as the 2 pixel wide vertical spear, but are 3 wide (in a round about way) so I can use 3 colours. also easier to make spikes on diagonals. I'm starting to get the hang of icons a little better each time I do one.

Last edited by WhatBall on Jan 23, 2012 - 19:07; edited 1 time in total
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12763&start=0

Thanks. Not big on them, and some links don't work for me. The herders were a breeze to crank out, will redo the Forest Gobs to the same scale. Will also probably redo the cheaters and the FFB Gobbos all as well.

Might as well make them all consistent.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Eldred, Garion & HM, thanks for the kind words. Makes it worthwhile when people appreciate the work.

HM: Love the new Pygmy. The pudginess works well. I hope you don't mind, but I fiddled with it a tiny bit to get it closer in scale to the ST2 target. Slightly under the 22 pixels I think, but the girth accounts for that. Made one with no hat as a base, one with feathers, and one with that odd hat the original is wearing. Tried to make the top more of a headdress, as the original looks a bit like a thumbtack to me. Doing it in paint, apologies for no transparency. Sorry if I interfered in your work on them.

Image Image Image

harvestmouse wrote:

Glad you like that. The spears are a great example of what you can do on a diagonal (as are your icons' helmet flaps). The diagonal spears look the same width as the 2 pixel wide vertical spear, but are 3 wide (in a round about way) so I can use 3 colours. also easier to make spikes on diagonals. I'm starting to get the hang of icons a little better each time I do one.

Sure I don't mind. Yours works for me.

A few questions.

1. The pixel I did was 21 pixels from the bottom of the shadow to the top of the hat. Your one is a bit bigger still. How are you measuring them?

A I have no read the front page.

2. How about going a pixel wider on yours?

3. What about the skin colour now, do you think it's a little too light? He looks a little south american colour than a native black colour.

However I like this project and I'm seeing design potential with them.

Last edited by harvestmouse on Jan 23, 2012 - 19:59; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

I don't wish to poo-poo the work being done, but I have to say I agree with the above (not just for Stunty!).

There's something just too, I don't know, bright? Washed out? Can't quite describe it about the new ones for me.

Still, impressive time and effort.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
Can someone link to some images of miniatures, then those who haven't played other TTs could join in without relying too much on the old icons.
A link to KnutRockies images would also be nice, as they were mentioned here.

What minis are you talking about? Stuff of legends is a good place to find old minis.

Knut's pictures can be found here.
http://fantasyfootballart.blogspot.com/
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

I don't wish to poo-poo the work being done, but I have to say I agree with the above (not just for Stunty!).

There's something just too, I don't know, bright? Washed out? Can't quite describe it about the new ones for me.

Still, impressive time and effort.

What about whatball's revamps, are they better or worse?

Is it, that the black lines are removed for darker tones of the base colour? This is a major difference between the Pat icons and the NK icons. To make everything uniform, icons are done in the style of NK. I.e. no black lines.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the revamps are a bit better.

Perhaps that's it, I like the darker tones. Dunno.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

HM, glad you like them. Feel free to go one pixel wider if you want, though they may get too fat. The trick is to try and keep them an odd number of pixels wide so you can have a center line. I did that in MSPaint, so it may be screwy.

On height, measurement is from the bottom of the foot, to the top of the head, with no helmet. And yes, I forgot to mention that for everyone making icons for stunty, I added a height guide to the first page.

Pgoo, I do prefer a darker skin tone, but there are two concerns with that, the first is that the icon gets too dark to see on the field, and second, shading gets lost. HM, feel free to try and darken up the outline and shading a bit. One thing I usually do while working on icons is have a background layer with the actual field texture so I can judge how it works. Helps a lot for very dark or very light elements.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the pygmy icons HM. I think the increased height and width will give some great options for the Eagle/Jag/Gator Warriors.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I think the revamps are a bit better.

Perhaps that's it, I like the darker tones. Dunno.

I think I understand. You like the original icons dark lines. Whatball's revamp has stronger highlights. So it is making the outline appear a bit darker.

Generally you prefer the old old icons to the 2006 revamp icons, right?

Whatball:

Yup, understood on the central pixel. A lot of Pat's however didn't have a centre. I'll have to have a look at what you've done to him, my version had a middle pixel for the body, but didn't for the head. Obviously I'd prefer a middle for both.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, see what you think. I've added a bit more girth to the right of the model as we look. This means i've redesigned the right hand a bit. I've also darkened the highlights to face and the arms, however I left it the same on the chest and belly as this looks too good to fiddle with. Better? Worse?

Progression: Image Image Image Image Image

There might be a bit more scope for some man boobage, as well.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great!

Love the feather, might want to try red as well to be able to identify them. More crazy hats! Also, a grass skirt kind of look (in team kit) for some would be really fun. You are the official Pygmy icon man now. Smile

On the hand, I would be tempted to bring the one on the right (his left) back in. It doesn't look wrong, but one hand in would match the standard icon style more.

BTW, noticed I butchered the shadow when I made it bigger. Should be one pixel wider and the widest points 1 pixel lower.

P.S. It is funny to see him growing in that sequence. Steady diet of Zebra... Also shows how woefully under-sized many of the ST2 icons are.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2012 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Looks great!

Love the feather, might want to try red as well to be able to identify them. More crazy hats! Also, a grass skirt kind of look (in team kit) for some would be really fun. You are the official Pygmy icon man now. Smile

On the hand, I would be tempted to bring the one on the right (his left) back in. It doesn't look wrong, but one hand in would match the standard icon style more.

BTW, noticed I butchered the shadow when I made it bigger. Should be one pixel wider and the widest points 1 pixel lower.

P.S. It is funny to see him growing in that sequence. Steady diet of Zebra... Also shows how woefully under-sized many of the ST2 icons are.

It's a leaf Crying or Very sad I've been looking at the pygmies in the old 2nd warhammer book. Headdresses look like leaves on some and feathers on others. There's a shaman totally covered in grass. Also I was thinking of a crash bandicoot mask, and maybe some voodoo paint jobs, now he's bigger.

I was wondering about the shadow. I will have a look at the hand, but I think it's a little bit of a shame, as this is a nice line. I'm not sure I like the big long straight line of before.
 Jump to: