34 coaches online • Server time: 09:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krytie

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I know that the Dawi'zharr are a rare breed but I've been hunting the internet for decent player pics for a week and of the 20+ pics i selected, less than ten were approved, most likely for some kind of copyright breach.

I'd prefer to focus on artwork rather than models, and avoid anything related to you-know-who but i guess other people also have intellectual property to protect so i'm struggling to fill out my team without actually drawing them myself (which i'm considering but would suck).

And so to my question:
Does anyone here know of a good place to find Chaos Dwarf portraits/pics which are copyright-free / public domain?

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you checked deviantart? There's an artist called igorvet who has done some fan art for chaos dwarfs and some hobgoblins too, if you want your art to have one style.
Generally you'll find quite a lot of fan art on there.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

There are also these already on FUMBBL...

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:

Pride cdorfs?

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

There is an unofficial WFB army book at http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10674 with lots of nice fan-art included.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Aren't they making chaos dwarfs for whfb anymore?
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really. All the old WFB CD stuff was discontinued in 2005, and they haven't had any official models or rules since then. But Warhammer Forge (Forge World's fantasy branch) does make CD models and rules. So not really, but sort of, ish.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

If you sure there isn't a breach of GW copyright or licencing you can always upload a pic with them stating who the pic belongs to/produced it etc.

We aren't experts on all pics, and if something looks official we will err on the side of caution and not allow it.

So anything that looks GW, associated with one of their games, or computer games, is for Cyanides BB game won't be approved.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
If you sure there isn't a breach of GW copyright or licencing you can always upload a pic with them stating who the pic belongs to/produced it etc.

How exactly does that work? There isn't an option to add comments to uploads/uploaded pics, or did I miss something?

Just out of curiosity, since you never know when approval questions become important.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's say you uploaded a pic that could be taken as being GW, upload another pic next to it that says something like "Copyright..........., this is a non GW pic drawn by ................. for ...........com"

I would approve your pic, and delete your copyright declaration.
krytie

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hicl wrote:
Have you checked deviantart? There's an artist called igorvet who has done some fan art for chaos dwarfs and some hobgoblins too, if you want your art to have one style.
Generally you'll find quite a lot of fan art on there.

Yeah, i tried to upload one of igorvet's pics earlier but it was rejected/not approved. I can see the admins' predicament -- They need to be sure that it's not copyrighted material, but there's no way for them to know where i got the image from unless they spend ages on google for each and every image someone uploads, a thankless and unenviable task I would ask of no-one.

I guess my main problem is that I want players with CD fluff, and so my player pics need to look like CDs, which means they automatically look like "official" pics. It's impossible for the admins to know which are and which aren't, unless they've seen that image before personally.

@HM:
The main issue when trying to avoid "those" materials is that well, they kinda invented BB and CDs, so isn't all CD material at the very least inspired by "them".

I always downsize my player pics to 95x145 but that means it is too small to write anything legible on it. Would you recommend me uploading the full size image with a caption stating provenance, and uploading the mini image at the same time? Is there still a chance these will be reviewed by different people?

EDIT: Ah looks like you read my mind Smile Thanks HM, will give it a go.

harvestmouse wrote:
Let's say you uploaded a pic that could be taken as being GW, upload another pic next to it that says something like "Copyright..........., this is a non GW pic drawn by ................. for ...........com"

I would approve your pic, and delete your copyright declaration.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
There is an unofficial WFB army book at http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10674 with lots of nice fan-art included.

I'm downloading this to have a look but it is quite clearly stated by the author that the artwork is not his, and that any copying from the book requires his express permission.

Rabe wrote:

Thanks but these aren't eactly the image/style I want to convey.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

krytie wrote:
xnoelx wrote:

I'm downloading this to have a look but it is quite clearly stated by the author that the artwork is not his, and that any copying from the book requires his express permission.

That's true, but none of it is GW art; they have to avoid the same copyright issues that we do. There is a list of 10 contributing artists on the contents page, including igorvet. It may be worth looking for the others on deviantart too. And the author of the book is still active on that forum, so contacting him for permission shouldn't be a problem at least.

Edit: And that forum has other bits of art too; this thread for example: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=558&page=1

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2013 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The bottom line is, we don't want to be anal in rejecting pics, however we also don't want to spend the time going to coaches and discussing whether they're legal or not (I do enough, I simply don't want to spend the time doing that) so pics just get deleted.

If you really want to use a pic and you are 100% sure it isn't copyrighted by GW. By all means send me a pm saying 'I want to upload this pic (description and who's copyright it is) let me know when you are around to approve it.

And I'll send you a 'now' message then you can upload it. We're happy to trust coaches on their word about not being official, however you have to be 100% certain about it. As this isn't a game, it's the site's survival.
 Jump to: