52 coaches online • Server time: 14:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so it seems we will be underway shortly.

My internet dongle is far from great. Takes me 3-4 mins to get the client moving, but it's better than nothing. I'll try to look into the Wiki tomorrow, but no promises on time / dongle working...

(Had a go, somewhere between my interweb n00bicity and the slow connection, getting nowhere. Anyone feeling brave enough to step up?)
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
...it's claimed on top of that ... the site setup far from intuitive...

+1

I'm glad to see this thread, because the same thing was starting to bother me and I, too, was wondering if the layout or presentation couldn't be more "intuitive", or at least more user/newbie-friendly.

I was here for a year or so, went away, and am back, and pages and articles that I've found once keep hiding again and become lost to all knowledge. When I have a question, sometimes I can click and find, but often it's a paper trail of links that lead anywhere but to the article that I'm looking for, even if I found it once before.

zakatan wrote:
maybe some mention of how to change the skin of the website, as i believe there is a wide agreement the default look is the ugliest.

Imo, this is the wrong sort of approach - too many links and hints on the "basic welcome" page makes things cluttered and lost in that clutter. Better to have the true basics, just what is absolutely needed, nothing more, and then links to different pages that in turn list links to related topics. I think that the basic faq page is a great thing, but it doesn't link to everything, nor does it have room to try - so a solution might be a premeditated tiered approach, with new pages that in turn link to the individual articles.

Quote:
Learning to create a team is an essential function of the game after all.

Yes and no - it's not "necessary" to play and might actually muddy the basic learning process, but it's certainly a popular tier 2 topic!

The original, basic BB rules did indeed have orcs & humans only - the other teams (and Skills & Traits) came later, and this worked just fine. You can present the basics of how the game works with just those two, just as in the orig rules, and things like Bloodlust and Nurgle's Rot can be introduced later.

And don't forget - while we're an English-speaking site, there are a LOT of non-English-speaking coaches (and some who are simply barely literate, ahem) who come here and need each step to be simple and clear. Too much explanation all at once is too much, and thus counter-productive. It's easy enough to take it in steps - few experienced players won't be put off by a "step at a time" presentation, so it's win/win.

Quote:
(Again, steal and intersperse current pictures)

Um - right idea, but create new pics, since the current ones are a couple versions old and don't match the new download perfectly. Happy to do that work if it needs to be done, PM me. (I do writing, but am newly returned and so am hesitant to jump in to someone else's project uninvited.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Apologies for the bump.

We're a week into the new client now, and it has to be said, it's lovely to see FUMBBL back to the old days, so to speak. The place is a-buzz with life. I'm really enjoying myself!

I've had more than one go at trying to understand exactly what to do with the Wiki page in order to put up some sort of patched Quickstart guide for new coaches that join us over this time. But I'm computer illiterate, and I've failed.

If anyone reading this can use the Wiki, and can spare 15 mins of their time either uploading that guide or banging their head into mine until I get it, then that'd be ace. In general, I think the User Guide will be updated organically over time, but this is something quick, easy and helpful we can get up to try and ensnare newbies at this peak time.

Cheers!

And yeah, I’ve read the Wikihelp page. May as well be in Swahili…

Smeat: This is not a project I feel I must do myself. I'm just trying to jiggle it along, however it gets done. Feel free to step in if you're feeling you're the man.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks a bit odd versus standard mediawiki markup, but not completely dissimilar. I can give it a go. Send me a copy of what you want and where you want it and I will take a peak when I get a chance.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm willing to help as well, don't mind using my advanced knowledge of computers *kuch*. Wink
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh - I've only come up with what we discussed earlier: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=447451#447451

It just needs copying, pasting into a new page, the images need linking in, and it needs to be clear on the front page of the User Guide that this is for now, for Jan '11, so a new, bold section at the top that links to the Quick Start Guide, distinguishing it from the LRB4 stuff. I've no doubt that I can link in pictures if someone sets the page up for me, I seem to remember doing some copy Wiki in the days of stables, so I'm sure I can finish what someone starts. I hope.

There perhaps will need to be a 'big push' to LRB6-ise the User Guide in weeks to come. This is just a start, a sticking plaster, that I think we need for newbies.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2011 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I'm willing to help as well, don't mind using my advanced knowledge of computers *kuch*. Wink

I won't stand in the way of the man-machine. Very Happy

Let me know if you want a hand.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2011 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Do we have roster/skill guides for FFB at all yet? I suppose the thing to do is encourage them to get written in the Tactics forum first...

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2011 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I don't think we do.

I think once the QS guide is up and away, strategies are something we can make a real push towards people contributing to. Everyone wants to think they know what they're talking about (Synn has built an entire reputation on telling people he's good and being OK - love you baby Wink), that should be easier than boring stuff like how to play. Wink Obviously, we can archive the LRB4 stuff and build up a current guide.

The other option is to just link some off site table top guides (collated by Plasmoid), but I think longer term, we'd be better off with our own, FUMBBL tailored, ones. No harm to what he's done, but I think we'd be better off with some of our own. The LRB4 ones aren't horrible; it's not as if that much has changed. They just need a touch up, in the main. To be honest, most of the stuff in the User Guide is actually excellent, it could just do with an update and a re-jiggle. I'll certainly go on a push when the client rolls out to get it ship shape.

I saw a rookie LFG in FFB today. I PM’d him trying to explain where the site was. I still worry n00bs are confused by it all. How you getting on time wise, Woodie? Don't feed the trolls in the other place, it's a hiding to nothing. Wink
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I just made a start: https://fumbbl.com/help:CRP
Pictures can be added, all you need to do is: [urltopicture]
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Okay, I just made a start: https://fumbbl.com/help:CRP
Pictures can be added, all you need to do is: [urltopicture]

I added a link to it on the main User Guide page, hope that is ok. Great work Woodstock.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Also updated the description of the Divisions here: http://fumbbl.com/help:ExperiencedOverview to the most current status.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2011 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent!

I shall try and get it ship shape today. Cheers, Woodie and WB.

I intend to pull that link out of where you've put it, WB, and get it right to the top of the page, leaving what's below it as 'archive'. I think once this is done, we can start a wider discussion about a) What needs to be in the User Guide, and b) Who fancies being an author. Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2011 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so start made, I just need pictures of the match sequence in [B], and I'll grab them as I have a game this morning.

I haven't linked Mac's post, I think his guide should be a stand alone Wiki page, so when that's done, I'll link it. I've had to link bbtactics for rookie team creation help, which is far from ideal, hopefully we'll be producing our own guides soon enough.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2011 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Alrighty!

I've updated with pictures as far as I can, and pulled the LRB6 section of the UG front page to the top, and made it big and obvious.

It still needs the following;

a) A picture of the client with some annotations. It's too big to get all of it on my tiny screen. Anyone want to step up?

b) Post game pictures. I forgot after my game...

c) Italics - how do you do that in a Wiki?

d) A link to Mac's Wiki Community Guide. Which isn't a reality yet!

OK, I should get off and do some work today. Anyone that wants to tidy up after me / critique, go ahead! Very Happy
 Jump to: