53 coaches online • Server time: 00:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate it when i agree with shadow Sad
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
I hate it when i agree with shadow Sad

+1

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

+2

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow is absolutely correct.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
as the stunty admin, and someone who has lived through the fallout to the suggestion...

*NO*...period...flat out...ever....

all "marking" a team does is give them a stigma, and give other coaches an easy flag to say "no thanks, you're a LRB4 team, i don't want to play you"...you people complain about fracturing the site into too many divisions...guess what marking grandfathered teams does?...fractures the division, yet again, into "current" and "grandfathered" divisions....

people have enough excuses not to play a team...let's not give them one more...

--j

Agreed.

Please don't give people another reason to not play my Pro Elves. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

wow, didn't think that such a simple request for more transperance would cause such negative feedback. It's fine either way... I'll just mark my own and l just not play any team that looks like an old team Smile ..
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Since i play Box it won't really effect me, so maybe i am biased. But I also have a dim view of ranked with regards to picking, and i feel anything that can make that worse is a bad idea. In all honesty I probably will also mark my teams as grand fathered, but it should be a choice not forced upon a coach. It would almost be a punishment for a coach having supported the site pre FFB. Also it is not that hard to check a team's history to see if they played any games before the change any way, so i expect there still will be FFB only leagues.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
wow, didn't think that such a simple request for more transperance would cause such negative feedback. It's fine either way... I'll just mark my own and l just not play any team that looks like an old team Smile ..

The request might have been simple, but the implications might not be.

Also why wouldn't you play an old team? Most teams haven't changed at all or had their skill choice altered in any way.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's early on a Monday morning, and I haven't yet given this a lot of thought since it won't effect me (so, off the top of the head stuff - always a good idea when posting in an internet forum), but thinking about the change, doesn't almost every team that chooses to change to the new rules lose something? If nothing else, on a developed team, you're left with a bunch of sub-optimal skills with new tweaked rules, and you then have to go through and replace players systematically, since builds in LRB6 will be a little (if not massively) different.

I'm trying to think of races that get a good deal; I guess Khemri and Undead with Block Mummies on singles? I guess they're worth keeping at +1 TV a piece, but they'll have (perhaps) a whole bunch more DP than they'd now need and Wights without S skills, Thro-ras without KOR (if that's your thing) where they would now have it, and that's a TV waste. How long are the Mummies going to last for? If you use them, they die. Neither team is good at high TV anyway, so those who care about Majors are fine, if you don't use them (like some pre LRB4 teams on site), it's not a problem anyway.

I don't see the need to mark teams generally since, with the exception of those two races, they'll be yummy cherries for a couple of months anyway (even if your team only has three skills you'd not now select, or select in a different order that's a free Babe for the other guy, or the equivalent of) and not broken beasts to be feared. Once the generation of players on the team has been recycled, any stigma attached to a mark will detract from what is essentially a 'new' team anyway.

Perhaps a mark, in this case, would be a badge of honour?

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %10, %2011 - %10:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

If you take a look at a team to see such a mark, you could go said teams matches and see when the first game was played...

just a click more, no need to flag.

Actually it is two clicks as you have to click the match report button as well

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Mark players instead and let the hunt for them begin!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I find this whole fear of playing grandfathered teams to be lame beyond belief.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
I find this whole fear of playing grandfathered teams to be lame beyond belief.

+1
Markinthepast

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:

If a coach who got his mummies block on regular rolls is thrown into an environment with teams who have to work and get lucky for their block, this work will go unnoticed with all those teams who got those skills as a free gift.

If you don’t want to play against a team with 4 mummies who have block, you don’t play them. It doesn’t matter how the got block.

Just pick as normal. Twisted Evil
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2011 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a few adventages rookie teams that are build before the switch over will have. Zombies are cheaper. Rerolls are cheaper for some teams (at least dwarves and amazones). With those teams you might start as if they already had a few games under their belt but I don't think it will make a big difference.

Jump to: