34 coaches online • Server time: 09:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
WIll inducemnts make a big diffrence in matches?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 43 ]
No
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
Maybe So...so many random permutations to calculate
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Pie....With some whip cream if you have some.
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 79

PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock had an interesting point in that "other thread:

"Because inducements never make a match fair, they just make it a little more balanced. The better team always has an advantage."

Before FFB went live that discussion was just a class room discussion..now that we have scene some matches, outside of beta, what do you guys think so far. (outside of beta is important because now guys seem to take this Blood Bowl stuff a little more serious than last year)

Some of them are still not ready to go like Wizard and Mercenaries but we have gotten a small taste so far.

I think Woodstock is right that the inducements never really make the match fair just give the underdog a little boost to hopefully make it a little more balanced.

I liked the LRB4 handicaps because they never really made the match balanced, it just added the random nature of the handicaps to really swing the fairness side of the match, which IMO is what a underdog really needs. Some matches you got 2 handis and they really did not help you, sometimes you got 2 and they were the perfect handis against you opponeet and sent his team crashing down. Definitly not fair and to some extent very un fun. Of course it also would have been nice if the Handis in the old client were all there and you could choose the 5th handi if you were out matched that far.

But I digress with the history lesson.

Will inducements really balance things out in terms of game play?

My gut says there are two main schools of thought on this...

1) IF there is a huge swing in TV and once Mercs and wizards are added then YES the inducements will make the game more balanced and maybe even push making it more fair.

OR

2)Iam not convinced yet, so NO, the only way you can get enough money to really make a big diffrence on the pitch is to get a large sum of inducement money and thus you might have to be a 500+ TV underdog...that is to much diffrence in actual team strength, meaning he might have 25+ more skills on his players than you, on the pitch to make much of a dent in the favorite...might give him some pause for a turn or two but overall it will not do much.

Of course this discussion really pertains to tournaments. In regular ho hum box and once ranked gets transfered over, for their pick sessions, there are limits on TV seperation that are legal matches. So no one will be getting huge sums of Inducements in regular non tourney matches.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

There are alot of factors to consider I think. For example I'd love to have 100k inducements with some rookish Dark Elves: Let's get another reroll, that will help! But when I have a TV of about 1700 with them that reroll just isn't worth as much.

Another thing to consider is against who you're playing. When I'm playing a Chaos mirror and those guys will treat me like squishy elves because of their huge crabclaws I'd consider taking two babes with some delicious alcoholic beverage.

Ah, giving examples doesn't really work to express my opinion... But my overall feeling about inducements is that they do a really great job, atleast they did last season with my Chaos team in my local TT league. It differs with the amount of inducements you have to spend. If it's just little it doesn't help that much (It doesn't even have to), with about 250k it can be a huge impact on the game but from that point on it will help less and less with each gc added on top.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

WIll inducemnts make a big diffrence in matches?

They sure make me feel alot better, still lose though.

Lets consider 100k worth of inducements. Used on whatever you want.

What if you just had 100 TV more, what would that get you.
+st x2 ... ok that sounds awesome.
or guard/block/dodge/dt (normal skills) x5
or +ag & dodge(double) & sure hands & block

hang on, why did i want inducements again? Because that is what you give your opponent, for 100k inducements.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have a team of lets say 13 players with a couple of DP players then 100k inducement might be worth it to get that bribe. The other player has 14 and that player add that 100k inducement difference.
The Ref is so random and by having one extra bribe than the other coach, the bribe can be a different between losing and winning.
If your first foul send the other player flying to the CAS box and the REF does not spot your foul, what are the options for the other coach then?
Foul back? Well he risk get his player send out and only make a stun or not even go through armour. So now he might be down 2players against 11.
So it is 13 vs 12 now.
The other coach still has his bribe, so he will keep fouling. Let us say he gets lucky and make another CAS or just KO box. Now outnumbered on the pitch, still has 6turn or so left and will have a hard time defending and keep 11players healthy for his drive where he might be lucky sending 1 or 2 off of his drive.

And if special cards do come and is added to competitive R & B... well then even a 50k inducement can be the different between winning and losing IMO depending on how you can draw from the card decks.
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends on the racial factor. For instance a TV 2000 team vs a rookie amazon team the dwarves should still win that because the inducements cannot make up for all the block , MB, Tackle, guard and stand firm. But I played a game of rookie lizardmen played by me against TV2000 nurlge and the result was a draw and it was a fair match. I was unlucky not to win really.

The wizard is the big miss at the moment inducement wise, and I hope that comes soon. But apart from that the cards arent great on the whole and mercs are over priced.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm, Painstate from your post I don'T really understand how you categorize woodstocks statement.
But let me put it like this:

Inducements have not the purpose of balancing the game entirely. If that would be the case, the whole point of team development would go south. They are on the other hand designd to roughly make the match balanced with a slight advantage for the other team.
Inducements accomplish this task. So yes, inducements make the matches balanced. Exactly as they should. They are a 1000 times better implementation then handicaps because while randomness may be something I would need to win games, I don't believe it's healthy if a game gets decided due to pre-game events. After all you get to join a game to have an hour long fun and it shouldn't be over after the first 30 seconds.

At the end of the day inducements will, as goes for handicaps too, only give those a real advantage who know to make use of them. If you feel like the inducements don't really help you, give it some time and you will realize that there is mostly something that really can help you.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It's supposed to give the underdog a 33odd% chance. In my experience, it varies wildly on what teams you're using. As an example, near rookie Elves with a Wizard and Sidewinder have every chance against most mid TV teams. Ball down on a 2, Gaze, zoom. I'm not sure near rookie Dwarves have the same sorts of options.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted yes. I think they will make a significant difference and I think inducements will balance out games better than the LRB4 handicaps did. I like the new system, because I think even a 300-400k underdog will still be in the game and have a chance to win it, or at least draw. However, I agree with what Woodstock said in the other thread, that the inducements help to make a game more even, but they won't ever totally make up for the difference in TV.

I play quite a bit with Skaven and Elves and I think for those teams the Bloodweiser Babes will be very handy. I've had many a game where I've been stuffed over by bad KO rolls at half time ...

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
f_alk

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I just draw a TT match due to my inducements being the one 100k down in TV. Ok, it was one of the cards (which add the randomness you are missing), but it did save my butt.

Also, I think making the teams more balanced so that the underdog has a decent but not large chance to win is a big difference already.
On1

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote=because I think even a 300-400k underdog will still be in the game and have a chance to win it[/quote]

Remember the scheduler operates with a 15% TV difference currently.

(Hmm actually at some point i guess this results in the numbers you stated hehe..)
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
But apart from that the cards arent great on the whole and

Depends on how you draw the cards. If you can pick only to pick cards from the Mayhem Deck for 50k, then there are some good cards for only 50k.

Badyear Git:
Will help you with that OTT due to the ball most likely will leave the pitch unless you have kick skill

Sprinkler Malfunction:
-1 to all ball handling for this drive. Going to hurt low agi teams. Just think if the weather is also against you? -2 will even hurt elf teams.

Eclipse:
Your turn and opponent turn all turn to normal rookie goblins. Need to make that TD, but no way in hell you are going to dodge with your Troll (without assist) into the endzone for that TD

Friendly fans:
All crowd push of your players does get stunned as the inj.

Rowdy fans:
You get 1assist against any player standing near the sidelines, also for fouls.
(Maybe my favorite.

Heckler:
Remove all skills for a player, expect loner and frenzy for this turn and the other turn. Need a ball carrier taking down? Need that monster killing machine taking down?

Rogue Wizard
Need a random fireball? Oh yes break down that cage.

Ball clone
Need to defend 2balls now instead of one. And the only way to find out if you have the real or not, is actually by making a TD. And no you cant carry 2balls on one player.

That Babe's got talent!
Win automatically Cheering fan and brilliant coaching AND get +1 to fame roll on the kick-off table. Not winning roll though Sad

There are some others too, but these are the one I would like to get. Just for 50k? Sure you can get +stat or some skills.
The other decks are oki too, but this one in my eyes are the best deck to draw from if possible to only draw from one of the four 50k decks.
On1

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

eclipse + normal wizard(at end of turn)! SPLAT
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:
And if special cards do come and is added to competitive R & B...

No house rules in competitive divisions please!
Gran

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted maybe, but I really think the answer to your question would be: Sometimes. It really depends on the teams involved, their strengths and weaknesses. Some babes can make quite a difference when I play my norse, but my dwarfs couldn't care less (they brought their own beer I guess...). Mr Goo's example is one where a rather small inducement could mean a lot, especially if you're up against the right team.

Also, I think what Igvy/Ehlers said is really important. Where does this extra TV come from? Is it block on all the BOBs and MB/guard on all the blitzers, or is it a rookie troll and two unskilled linemen on the bench? Quite a big difference. There is also the question of when a player type peaks and when further skills won't make that player more useful on the field. Seen from this angle any skill after that would just mean free inducements, and the same would go for skills that aren't useful against a certain team, e.g. claw vs AV7.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, Inducements make a difference.

For Rats 100k for 2 Bloodweiser Babes means that all those KO's will actually come back for the second half!

For Dwarves that 100k will mean a Bribe to either keep the Deathroller on the pitch, or allow you to throw in an extra couple of boots.

It will certainly not make up the whole difference, but it does a much better job that handicaps or narrowing the gap.
 Jump to: