22 coaches online • Server time: 01:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2011 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I will add that to the FAQ section tomorrow while Im at work. Thanks for that.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I have done some of the FFB user guide/help sections - http://fumbbl.com/help:FFBHelp

I am at work so I have done them from memory and couldnt check to see if the commands are correct. Can someone please check them for me and let me know if any are wrong.

Also we still need a screen shot of the new client in game with a player selected. Can someone please get this for me?

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2011 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Awesome work all.

I think the next page needed is 'Configuring the FFB Client (CRP/LRB6)'.

I would add to this page:
- A link to the release notes
- The current skills that are missing
- Solutions for removing the white bottom bar from the client
- What Unix versions are not FFB friendly
- How to chat if you can't see the chat input box (chat display window, TAB, type)
- What to do if it won't start (E.g. some times with a new version you need to clear your browser cache.)
- ANNOTATIONS!
- logos/sounds on/off settings
- chat commands for the crowd
- more??

Updated the new user guide with a picture of the client in game - http://fumbbl.com/help:CRP
and finished the new client help/userguide - http://fumbbl.com/help:FFBHelp

Anything need changing?
and What's next?

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2011 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Quick notes about the new coaches quick start guide:

* the picture of the different divisions is outdated
* the overview page is called the home page in some themes
* you have this sentence: "Once the draw has been made you will need to refresh your home page to see who you will be playing as shown below" However, the images directly below don't show the opponent.
* You don't need to fill in the game name when playing Black Box games. Moreover, is the "OK" button called "Start game" or "Accept"?
* You mention the red "S" when the team has skills to pick. Maybe a mention for the post-game sequence icon?

Anyway, the guide looks very good overall to me. This is just tiny nitpicking.
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2011 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I've changed all that except the picture of the divisions because this will no doubt change again when L and R go FFB.

What about the other guide though, the new one - http://fumbbl.com/help:FFBHelp

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Just looked at the Slann skills advice and found it pretty seriously lacking. Put in an alternate Blitzer progression (not sure what the OP meant to do instead of second Piling On but maybe guard was supposed to be second skill)* -Blitzer is a huge misnomer imo (only "Fouler" would be less accurate). I don't much like the Catcher suggestion either: looks halfway between a Blitzer-catcher (not Block and where's the Strip Ball) and a Receiver Catcher (definitely Block and dauntless later) -better to put two (or more) different progressions up I'd think. Also no mention of passing skills for Catchers.

No comments on +Stat options.

I think I've got a pretty good handle on how Slann work so I'll give it a more thorough going over if no one objects but don't want to tread on toes: was it just one person's opinion?
I think these wiki help pages are really useful but they don't have the authority of the Skill Survey pages based on winning teams (no suitable data yet even if someone wanted to repeat that) and I'd like to add a link to a suitable Forum Thread on the subject. Possibly just (slightly) more explanation of the basis for the decisions ..though the clean 1 2 3 format definitely has merit.

So.. these are a wiki and I can edit them but the LRB4 version of these was based on something very solid and changes would not have been welcome. How free should I feel to change these? Is there someone with oversight/review power who can/will veto/reverse changes deemed inappropriate?

* I favour taking guard before block on the Slann Blitzer and on no other player for whom the skills are equally available so a progression without guard seems glaringly wrong to me.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2011 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been reading all this, it's a great work you did people.

I've seen one mistake in the Undead Strategy page : it's this "The Mummies are the only players with access to Strength skills and hence the invaluable Guard skill, which means Undead often struggle against other strong running teams with more Guard players." Wights have strength access now as well.

I've deleted that line in the wiki. I can do more proof reading and I'll be putting here everything that I do if people like it.

Edit : I cleaned up the Lizardmen Strategy page as well. Nothing important, I just added the ! in front of plays & tactics and separated the paragraphs which were otherwise more or less glued to each other.
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for doing that Ancre, all input is much appreciated.

Now that Ranked is live and I would imagine Academy will follow soon. What do we need to include or change in the guides now?

I also added a little bit more to the FFB help section about the problem not being able to spectate games or play them after a client update- http://fumbbl.com/help:FFBHelp

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor wrote:
I think these wiki help pages are really useful but they don't have the authority of the Skill Survey pages based on winning teams (no suitable data yet even if someone wanted to repeat that) and I'd like to add a link to a suitable Forum Thread on the subject. Possibly just (slightly) more explanation of the basis for the decisions ..though the clean 1 2 3 format definitely has merit.

* I favour taking guard before block on the Slann Blitzer and on no other player for whom the skills are equally available so a progression without guard seems glaringly wrong to me.

The skill progression for Slann and the tactics section was just lifted from the GLN article on the subject. They are free for anyone to edit, but I wouldn't recommend anything controversial as these help guides are really just for people just starting out with BB or people that have never played with that race before.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

one tiny note about pictures. Wouldn't it be better to upload them in the FUMMBL galleries and link them from there, instead of external sites. I'm thinking of what happened in the forums or a possible failure or deletion of the pics on photobucket or others.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup sounds like a good idea, I think new ones are needed too because most of those pictures are from the old user guides and some of them are out of date too.

Do you want to take that one on Zakatan?

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

i'll take a look after work, this evening

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Could a guide to the test-mode be posted on the help?
I think it would be a good thing as that is a way for people to try out the new client before playing for real. Sort of like the offline-mode for JBB.
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, do you have a link to somewhere for the intructions for how to do it including how to change dice rolls add skills etc...

If so I will format it and put it on now.

zakatan wrote:

Thanks that would be great Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Yup, do you have a link to somewhere for the intructions for how to do it including how to change dice rolls add skills etc...

If so I will format it and put it on now.

zakatan wrote:

Thanks that would be great Smile

if you run the client in test mode, all the commands are described under the "help" tab
 Jump to: