45 coaches online • Server time: 12:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

or...you could quiet requesting changes to the client to suit your personal tastes, when you're the only person having said problem...

--j

ImageImage
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I've only mis-clicked once so far and that caused a mummy to gfi and dodge into a TZ! Fortunately, Mummy stayed on it's feet and completed it's Blitz (Break Tackle helped... lol)

no problems with mouse click otherwise - makes sense to not rush things and so not make errors.

Smile
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
or...you could quiet requesting changes to the client to suit your personal tastes, when you're the only person having said problem...

--j

Well, i'm not, unless people have been lying to me in game chat when stuff like blitzes that were supposed to be moves happened.

Actually..knowing about this will help avoiding it in the future. I would, however, never have _suspected_ anyone in his right mind (and especially as awesome as Kalimar, because in general i maintain that the client is great) would implement mouse usage this way in the first place. So it was harder than usual to troubleshoot those 'misclicks'.
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Ruiner wrote:
Fela wrote:
Ruiner wrote:
Fela wrote:
pythrr wrote:
then don't use a trackball. what is this, 1987?

It's a lot less stress on the wrist and also more comfortable in restricted space?

You should buy a gel support for your wrist, only cost about £10 and they work wonders.

Or i could just buy a trackball and subsequently have less problems with my wrist, mouse incompatible surfaces, restricted moving space or playing while reclining on the sofa..or wait, I did that already!

So what was the whole point of making this thread again?

Making people aware of the unusual implementation until it is fixed or in general, if it won't be.

Further than that a request to make mouse behaviour compliant with well established standards, which is what people that do NOT read this thread will come to expect.
Alibaba

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I have misclicked more than once cos of that.. I have to agree that it should be click moment not release
cthol

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

but if you blitz and it was meant to be a move then you are too lazy to check the log: it says "player starts a blitz action" or something like that after you select the action but before moving, so you can change it.
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Have had a think about it, and several Office / Windows / Other work-based things that I use type-applications appear to work at the point of release too, so it's not a non-standard way of clicking. Maybe that's helped me have so few misclicks...

Smile
Slex

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Erm, mouse click is a button down + button up -event. For example this quick reply box and the buttons below, like Submit - I can press mouse button down above the "Submit" then change my mind, move the cursor away, and thus cancel the "click". This is the way it should work in the client too.
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

coffindodger wrote:
Have had a think about it, and several Office / Windows / Other work-based things that I use type-applications appear to work at the point of release too, so it's not a non-standard way of clicking. Maybe that's helped me have so few misclicks...

Smile

That's true when button down + button up serve a combined purpose (like selecting multiple cells or characters). But so far i would be hard pressed to come up with another application, where the mouse location on button down was completely disregarded on button up.
Olesh

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
coffindodger wrote:

Smile

That's true when button down + button up serve a combined purpose (like selecting multiple cells or characters). But so far i would be hard pressed to come up with another application, where the mouse location on button down was completely disregarded on button up.

At least as far as MS is concerned, action taken on click release is standard development practice, so it is in fact more or less ubiquitous. Like right below this post, I have the preview and submit buttons. Using Firefox, IE, or Opera, if I click and hold on the Submit button, it depresses the button but no action is taken. If I then change my mind on submitting, and move my cursor away before releasing, the button is cancelled.

I am actually hard-pressed to think of a situation where things do NOT work that way, in that a "button" is selected and immediately triggered rather than waiting to be triggered on buttonup.

Edit: Wasn't able to test how it works in FFB but it appears the main difference, upon review, is that windows default programs will cancel a click that is released outside the initial originating object, while FFB targets the click release location rather than the initial one. In which case it's sort of nonstandard but not really a huge deal.
HLY

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm, evaluated on release as the standard setting, that never happens

oh weait, exept for with windows...

and Mac...

and basic Linus...

oh, and each web-browser...

and, y'know, I'm struggiling to think of a single program in the world where it's evaluated on click Rolling Eyes

and this is due to EXTENSIVE research by the computer industry

so your complaint is the general settings should be matched to the preference of the 27% minority of computer users, rather than the 63% majority?
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I stand corrected.

It appears my observation (probably based on my inhuman clicking speed Wink) was incorrect. However, Olesh was spot on:

Olesh wrote:

Edit: Wasn't able to test how it works in FFB but it appears the main difference, upon review, is that windows default programs will cancel a click that is released outside the initial originating object, while FFB targets the click release location rather than the initial one. In which case it's sort of nonstandard but not really a huge deal.

The problem remains essentially the same, though.

The effect in client is that you can click on one of your players, move the mouse to another, halfway across the board, release there and you selected THAT player for subsequent actions.

Or you can slip to the adjacent player instead and unless paying close attention to the log, never realize the error until it's too late. Likewise with actions.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
I stand corrected.

Or you can slip to the adjacent player instead

... if you are using a 1987 trackball, you forgot to add.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2011 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:

The effect in client is that you can click on one of your players, move the mouse to another, halfway across the board, release there and you selected THAT player for subsequent actions.

Will look into that if u make it a proper bug report, ok?
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2011 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Willdo Smile
 Jump to: