44 coaches online • Server time: 17:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Drogzar

Post 5 Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all!

I'm newbie here and after reading the rules a 4th time and get a coach telling me "I shouldn't field journeymen if I can afford linemen" a fith time... I decided to ask what exactly this rule means:

Quote:
Teams in competitive divisions are expected to strive for at least 11 players on the roster. While this doesn't mean that any team below 11 players must immediately hire a new lineman, coaches are expected to not let the team deteriorate on purpose.

The spirit of the rule seems to be fighting against people that makes his team worse to give free SPs to other people, so I think that, as long as you dont go against that idea, there shouldn't be any problem right?

My example:
-I have a Chaos Dorfs team (booooooooo, clawpomber!!!! I know, I hate me too, but I created it just to kill other clawpombers, who seems to be majority in B) and I usually field 3 journeyhobos... to be in the LOS and receive the blocks. I think I only use them for that and give some help with 2db. Don't remember even using them to score twice.

-On the bank I have more than 800K so I could CLEARLY pay for them, is not a big deal.

-So, if I "don't use" them, and therefore I'm not making my team weaker... It is wrong what I do?

-As I don't use them... every time the gain skills (random MVP), if they were not journeys, they would be kicked out of the team to keep TV used on useful guys (no, not only the clawpomber, I have a STR4 blodger hobo because I need ONE ball carrier), so efectively, I'm going to use them as journeymen.

-And you will be wondering... If you have money more than enough... "why don't you shut up and buy them"? Well, I did at the beginning, until Homer IV I think... but I got tired of renaming ***ing hobos that I really dislike and actually enjoy when they get injuried (on the second half, starting with fewer players is bad)...

So, final question, If it's not making my team easier to fight against... can I use journey hobos?

And for those who think that is making my team easier... I REALLY think that it would be worse to lose the bull and a couple of dorfs in a match and not having money to buy them, because that would make my team much easier for the next 4-8 matches...

Just asking, please, don't try to think or explain what I might be thinking or hidden purposes...

As I said, I'm newbie here, and I was "forced" to play a clawpomber team after the tragic death of my blodger-side-step dorf runner.

Probably I'll go to ranged to play my loved Woodies and Rats... I just started with random matches and tough and resilient teams to "build a team for infinite matches" as I'm used to small friend-leagues.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

with 800k in the bank you are going against the spirit of the rules and teams have been retired for this in the past, i would say you need to buy 3 hobbos pretty quick as its pretty safe to say that the admins will see this thread Razz

**edit**

oh, and welcome to FUMBBL

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

For your situation, the answer is a resounding no.

Even though that answer is so utterly stupid it quite boggles the mind why it's the answer, yet, it's still the answer.

On the other hand, if no one has bothered to report you for violating this rule it's probably because no one cares about it anymore. Or, no one cares that *you* are violating it.

As you are right, by not replacing your hobbers you are actually making your team worse (ever so slightly), but it's still a competitive team (apparently).

Personally I'd just replace the hobbers with 'legit' hobbers, and not be that lazy about naming them, since you've outed yourself, an admin should be sending you a warning here shortly.
Drogzar

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, thanks for the answer, but I actually want an answer from the admins.

As I said, this team is just a bashy one to survive on B while I learn how to plan teams for the infinite.

If I've been doing something wrong and my team has to be retired... well, I wouldn't understand why as I don't see what rule I'm breaking, but at least I'd have learned that is not allowed and the next one (probably Nurgle, sounds funny) won't do that.

But I REALLY think I'm not going against the spirit of the rule... I REALLY think it would be MUCH worse to play with 7 or 8 hobos and only 3-4 chaos dorfs because I had no money to buy replacements...

Also, asking here I think shows some good intentions...
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, and one other thing.

The team in question is what many people would probably describe as complete and utter CDCPOMB-Cheese. Which is cool and all that you want to play that team build, but just be ready to be accused of being a cheese monger.

And yes, welcome to FUMBBL.

To get the best tailored game play you're likely to want to find a League which plays in a manner you find most enjoyable, but certainly either R or B are great for just playing games if you can get past worrying overly about ranking or pixel deaths.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Short answer: Hire 11 permanent players.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm 99.99% that the admins would not retire your team without first giving you the chance to correct it. They have a warning system in place, just follow their 'advice' and everything will be fine. Well you may or may not like it, but trust me, it will be fine.

Anyway, you have 830k, it will cost you 120k to replace the 3 hobbers. You can afford it, especially since you only use one Bull. But rebuilding teams from time to time is just part of the joy of playing BB anyway, not that CD normally need to be rebuilt frequently, so I'd imagine you will rebank pretty quickly.
Drogzar

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I don't really care about what people think (that is why I asked not to try and find extra messages and argue about how I am)... after been in top WoW guilds, arenas, SCII leagues and working as games developer... I'm quite "mind-shielded" against most of the shit they can throw at you (and as game developer, I assure you is much worse than as player).

But hey! I'm always open to nice discussions about any topics not involving myself! Smile
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw... next time if you want an answer from an admin, fill in a ticket. Forum is not the way to go.
Drogzar

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Woodstock.

Ok, I'll will after the next match.

Thanks for the answer and I asked here instead of a ticket because I though it would be useful for other newbies (I really missed some rule aclarations pinned or something like that).

Also, I would really enjoy a full explanation of the rule... but seeing licker comments and your ultra short answer... seems to be something old and creepy that I'm not sure I want to take out...
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Odds are most people new to the site have no idea that tickets even exist.

Also, there are precious few 'nice discussions' to be had around here Wink

This discussion is neither particularly old nor creepy. It's just one of those 'judgement' things about team construction and what it means to abuse the journyman rules.

A lot of people felt that if someone wants to play with a couple j-men they should be allowed to, no matter their treasury. For what I imagine is simplicities sake, the admins don't want to make those judgement calls.

Though if you had only 120k and didn't want to rebuy the hobbers all at once I think most people wouldn't worry about it. There is value in having a bank as you point out. Just that having a bank to rebuy your entire lineup and still taking j-men is deemed excessive.

Even though yes, you don't get any kind of advantage in playing with j-men.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2012 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

There will be no explanation, the rule is written that way for a reason. I will not have this discussion again tho.
 Jump to: