31 coaches online • Server time: 02:41
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Log in
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gamefindergoto Post Mark players in repl...goto Post Online Welsh Open 20...
SearchSearch 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion



Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

If it became apparent that one player was knowingly taking advantage of this situation (it counts as an abusable bug) a coach may be punished.


But this can never be proved. The person will always say they didnt know you were disconnected even though it is blatently obvious because you havent moved a player in 4 minutes.

You say that it is impossible to go backward like javabowl. Is this something that will always be impossible because of the way the new client works. Or is this just not possible because nothing has been coded for it yet.

Excuse my ignorance because i dont really understand these things. But would it not be possible to save the turns like java bowl did so you can return to a previous turn?

Edit: also it would be nice to have a clearer way of dealing with this because last time this happenend to me the admin would only cancel the game if both coaches ageed to have it unscheduled. Fortuantely for me I was playing a nice coach who had made a genuine mistake and as such accepted that the game should be forfeit, but if both coaches must agree on this for the game to be cancelled it could lead to problems imo.

_________________
Image
Kalimar



Joined: Sep 22, 2006

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 15:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

@Candlejack: this is exactly how it works. Why the timer isn't stopped properly in Garion's case (and probably others) needs to be investigated. I've put it on my todo-list.
DukeTyrion



Joined: Feb 18, 2004

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had games where my opponent has dropped, and I have sat there twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to return. What I have noticed sometimes is when they return the counter suddenly jumps from 7:48 to 2:18 (as an example), being the point at which they lost their connection.

I think part of the problem is, the server only knows they haven't been connected at the point when they re-connect. It's probably fair to say if I had tried to use the 'Tome Out' button (which I haven't so I can only guess), that their turn would have just ended.

I guess what would be useful, is if a player hits the 'Time Out' button, that the server polls the other client to ensure they are still connected, before the turn is actually ended (although I have no idea if this is possible).
srjuanone



Joined: Mar 25, 2009

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@Garion: It can never be proved that ur opponent didnt know u were disconnected. You are totally right. Coaches wont be punished if they do this. As I said before my oppo ended my turn 4 times: i was four turns without moving any player (it is easy to guess that ur oppo is disconnected if he hasnt moved a single player in 4 turns). Moreover when I could connect to the game I said my oppo to stop playing becuase he was playing 4 turns without me and the situation was totally different and I went to talk with the admin. However, he ended my turn again while I was talking with the admin about this issue: he was crazy about not lossing that game. The admin only cancelled the game he was not punished at all. In fact the game was cancelled because that guy gave his permission. For me it was really sad when the admin asked my oppo if he was agree with the cancellation of the game.
maysrill



Joined: Dec 29, 2008

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

My general rules for timing someone out:

Yes, if...
-They are taking forever on their turn. Long waits between moves, even simple choices like push directions and whether to follow up.

No, if...
-they mention some out-of-game reason to be afk (sick kid, kitchen problem, bio, phone, etc.)
-they mysteriously stop making moves for a long period of time without a single command (select player, stand up, chat, anything), in which case I'll wait to see the (nearly inevitable) reconnection. After that, I don't bother trying to figure out how long their turn's been, I give them a mulligan.

Then again, I'm pretty brutal about the "Yes" case, so I don't mind being lax when the person isn't just dragging their feet. If your turn takes 4:01, I will time you out before that last linerat has a chance to reposition 1 square...
Qaz



Joined: Apr 28, 2004

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2011 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:
Qaz wrote:
srjuanone wrote:
I had the same problem, I was disconnected during a long time and my opponent ended my turn 4 times. What was clear win for me changed into a tie, then admin canceled the game as I told them to do it.
The time should stop when u disconnect, this should be solved asap, but until that happens it would be nice if people dont end others turns while they are disconnected. I ll keep cancelling my games in that happens to me even if I am winner. It is really sad that there are coaches using this to win games.


How do you cancel your game?


Go to the admin channel as he said and explain the situation.

I think the timer should stop too. Or play in a major where you have lots of specs. That will most likely prevent the other person to press the turn marker since he will be booed at for the rest of his life.


Yep but what I was thinking was that your oppo needs to give his permission. So was wondering if ther where som kind of extra rule allowing for said cancel with your your opponents concession. I see now there is not. and as such you cant get your game canceled but you can agree on canceling a game. If one is a right out bastad that means the world.

PS. Admins can ofc do pretty much any thing if they find it just. And rightly so. (they might have to go thru big C first thou)

_________________
Superstition brings bad luck.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pythrr



Joined: Mar 07, 2006

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2011 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
The client is designed to stop the timer if one person disconnects. Unfortunately in some rareish cases it doesn't realise.

In these cases the timer keeps going, as it still thinks both players are connected. In most cases the person who times out his opponent also doesn't realise the other person has disconnected as the client hasn't registered the disconnection.

With the new client it is impossible to go backwards like javabowl, and if there isn't a remedy to the situation that both players will agree to, a cancellation of the game is the likely outcome.

If it became apparent that one player was knowingly taking advantage of this situation (it counts as an abusable bug) a coach may be punished.


It can be hard to tell sometimes. I played one coach who had not disconnected - so he later told me - but rather was annoyed, so was rage-ignoring the game and making me wait 4 mins on each of his turns. He never said anything until T16, so how was I to know whether he had dc-ed or was just wasting my time. I've encountered this more than once.
harvestmouse



Joined: May 13, 2007

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2011 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

srjuanone wrote:
@Garion: It can never be proved that ur opponent didnt know u were disconnected. You are totally right. Coaches wont be punished if they do this. .


Really? I can think of 2 situations where I'd bust someones butt for pressing the timeout button.

In your case it wasn't clear, however we always make notes for future. Wink

These situations aren't very common, but I'd like to see them stop altogether.
Display posts from previous:     
 Jump to:   
All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 1.2 © 2003 PNphpBB Group
Credits