52 coaches online • Server time: 17:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

James_Probert wrote:
koadah wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
I hate that 'news' and 'blogs' get the same size and prominance on the front page.

One is vital site audited information deemed worthy to havepublic attention.

The other the illeterate musings of anyone with the time to vent their spleen.

Doesn't make me want to waste time crafting news items frankly.

The front page is pretty much obsolete now. We can go directly to our overview/home page to avoid the rollovers. The news is available there.

Yes, we can, but (potential) new members can't, so that page gives them an insight into the site and hence is definitely not obsolete.

Yes, I would have edited in for existing users but got called away. Wink

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the colour scheme and the more modern look in general, but the width of the layout should be dynamic.

Working on a high-resolution widescreen screen (desktop - 1920x1200) there's a lot of wasted space on the far left and right.
It's even more disturbing on a not so high-resolution widescreen screen (notebook - 1280-768) where in addition to looking weird you have to scroll way too much.
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe its just due to my noobness, but seems there's no way to get there:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=teams

I had to change theme and link the url on my coach profile to be able to reach it with Pastel Theme ^^
ttsgosadow

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

This theme is so much better! I never knew I could change it. The navigation on the old theme was really confusing - I like the way its laid out in Pastel.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I’d imagine a lot of the negative feedback around the new theme is tinged with a healthy amount of ‘Ewwww! Change! Change bad!!’.

I think the new theme looks great, and, most importantly, will probably be a lot better for newbies. Around the site, WB has said the blogs / news on the front page will be sorted out (/agree with PC as it stands), and bigC that ‘Personal’ will be back in some form or another, so my main worries are sorted.

At the moment, I find it clunkier than what I was previously using (previous site standard… Pitch? Root?), but I fully expect this is just down to me getting used to it.

Site development = yay.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:

@Koadah: I think if C gets the personal menus back in soon 80% of the issues will disappear! Wink

And if you get rid of the rollover menus that will be another 19% Wink

Also noted no rules on the forum topic pages.

The page 2 mock up contains many items currently on the home/overview page. Will they be moving from there or be in two places?

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

My initial reaction is "I don't want to change from V3 because I like it" but I think that I will quickly adapt to the new layout when forced to use it.

I do however strongly dislike the colors and would greatly appreciate if we got a color scheme similar to V3 but with the pastel layout.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My main problem with the pastel theme is: it screams at me with its overabundance of red. If there was a version with the pastel layout but the current (root) color scheme I might be more willing to give it a try.

I agree with the others that said it should use the complete width of the browser window.

Also, the root theme uses a nice mix of bold and regular fonts for better readability. Pastel should copy that behaviour.

EDIT: Having read the blog i can see the arguments vs. variable width. I'm not sure the background that's visible on the sides needs to be so prominent though, it behaves like an ad banner in grabbing attention but without the benefit of at least turning that attention into some profit.

Last edited by Fela on May 23, 2011 - 13:32; edited 1 time in total
Christer

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 13:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Because I didn't want to bury it in a forum thread, I wrote a fairly lengthy blog entry regarding the thought process behind the new theme. If you feel you have time to spare, I hope it'll at least let you know where I'm coming from when it comes to this theme change.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the post and all the hard work Christer.

My opinion is that if the personal menus are always visible ie no need to rollover to get them that should pretty much sort it. Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like it, better quality, more colourful and easier on my eyes.

If there is some sort of democracy going on I too would like the personal menu to always be visible.

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your writeup Christer. I dont understand half of what you have written, but what i can understand is that you have important reasons to change layouts.
As far as i'em concerned personal menus is what matters most (good to hear they will be in place). Some colors to chose from (personally fumbbl was always green for me - i think i have changed to aggresive2 1st or 2nd day after joining and still using it). Also i like side menus more (and dont like rollovers) then top page ones. It will take some time to adapt, but i can handle Razz.
gjopie

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the new theme, but my one request would be for a work-friendly version as an alternative. At the moment I browse the website a fair bit when I'm probably not supposed to (like now), and I think the new theme looks too much like a gaming website (duh). As I said, I love the look for home use, but if we could get a toned-down alternative for work, that'd be awesome!
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
I like the new theme, but my one request would be for a work-friendly version as an alternative. At the moment I browse the website a fair bit when I'm probably not supposed to (like now), and I think the new theme looks too much like a gaming website (duh). As I said, I love the look for home use, but if we could get a toned-down alternative for work, that'd be awesome!

Get back to work!!

Laughing
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 23, 2011 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I am getting used to the new theme, but have 2 minor issues.

First of all the 'brown' colour is a bit yuk, I used to like v3 because the green felt more fitting for a game that tends to be played on grass. Is the brown the final selection, or is there any intention to try other colours?

The other minor thought is the font. I am not sure if it's just me, but everything seems a bit squished together. The font seems larger than it has been before, but the spacing between lines has not been increased to allow for it.

Other than that, thanks for all the hard work in continuing to improve the site.
 Jump to: