34 coaches online • Server time: 09:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
So I guess we should abolish [B ] Majors and Minors.

Tournaments in [B ] must be the root of all evil.

Well that is exactly the point. Several of us have asked for an optional scheduler in [R] but been told "no - that would kill [B], if you want scheduler play [B] etc". So [R] is now a static division not allowed to take new features. Meanwhile, [B] DOES get majors and minors, but of course those [B] purists don't mind stealing some of the best features of [R]. Now you propose taking the Smacks too!

Basically you want to strip-mine [R] and give all the features it has to [B] except ability to pick games. Meanwhile [R] must stay unchanged, and is not allowed to borrow from any features that make [B] successful.

No wonder [R] is struggling to regain support.

Oscar Wilde
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea, but I do think Admins have said this wouldn't happen.

Maybe a checkmark next to your activation waiving the 15% limit (Activate Hardcore) or something. I would also like to see some of the big inducements.

Maybe just a weekly minor could fix your smack fix.
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I struggle to understand the surprise, confusion and opposition to this idea.

Regardless of what the admins or particular individuals think [B] is, I imagine a lot of people who play in the division think like me that is just a simpler way of reliably getting a game of Blood Bowl.

Whatever the original philosophy behind it, whatever distinctions or modes of play it was supposed to encourage or discourage, the fact it has the scheduler and lets you easily get a match is for me its absolutely defining feature.

Right now, this is far and way the most played division on FUMBBL, more than league and ranked combined. So the old order, the old assumptions about what [B] is, about what it could or should be, aren't really relevant, because for most people playing on the site today, [B] is FUMBBL.

Majors, Minors, Smacks, etc. I don't see why all of these shouldn't run in [B]. Anything which encourages competitive play, which ups the excitement and passion, is a good thing. I am one of those people who favours things like an official monthly rankings champion, etc. I think having goals to aim for, things to fight for, reasons to play more, and talking points to stimulate the community are good things. So the more of them the merrier.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Well that is exactly the point. Several of us have asked for an optional scheduler in [R] but been told "no - that would kill [B], if you want scheduler play [B] etc". So [R] is now a static division not allowed to take new features. Meanwhile, [B] DOES get majors and minors, but of course those [B] purists don't mind stealing some of the best features of [R]. Now you propose taking the Smacks too!

Basically you want to strip-mine [R] and give all the features it has to [B] except ability to pick games. Meanwhile [R] must stay unchanged, and is not allowed to borrow from any features that make [B] successful.

No wonder [R] is struggling to regain support.

The distinction between B and R is the scheduler v picking.
If you import the scheduler to R then you have damaged the distinction

Tournaments are a seperrate thing and not a distinctive feature of R (open choosing of competitive games is).

The forced to play all comers aspect of B would not be in any way impaired by having SMACKs.

I would play them sometimes but I'm not exactly desperate for them.

So yeah.. let's replicate the entire R tournament structure: why shouldn't we?
The tournaments will still be different because the teams won't be able to pick for preparation ...in fact what is R doing with tournaments in which you can't pick your opponent at all? That's a B feature! I propose that henceforth R be restricted to running Open Round Robin tournaments!! (ie a bunch of people enter and you can play any of those or not as suits you then the points are added up at the end ..just in case it's not called Open Round Robin after all Wink).

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

lol. Of course now that tournaments are in [B] they are no longer distinctive feature of [R]. Before that, they WERE a distinctive feature of [R].

An "optional" scheduler still maintains the philosophical distinction between the two groups, as it is "optional".

You seriously can't see the hypocrisy in saying [B] can pick and choose whatever [R] unique features it likes to improve, but [R] can not do the same in reverse, however modified?

Oscar Wilde
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2011 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally i like the idea of smacks for [B] we could just change the format to King of the Hill to keep the random blackbox aspect for game 2.

But it is up to purplechest and the BigC

Addition: Just like the idea of smacks though not scheduled smacks, i dont think that fits with the theme of blackbox. Tying up your blackbox team for majors is worthwhile and 'special' but scheduled smacks fits more with [R]

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
uuni

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Me too!

I would like to have more options to play without the 15% limit, especially in the high end of TV. King of the hill sounds nice for pairing.

(A thread is only dead when we stop believing in it! *puppy eyes* Very Happy )
 Jump to: