21 coaches online • Server time: 07:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

As I understand it, buying stars and wizards and stuff is part of the pregame sequence. This means it is perfectly acceptable to do it after agreeing to play and the fumbbl rules extend this to include buying players as well. All of this makes sense and is by the book but i have one small problem with it.

If i show up to a game and find my oponent has hired a star i'm comitted to play the game of course but it's already past the point where i would be able to purchase a star player. In the board game, if my oponent wants to purchase a little extra muscle i know he is doing it and i can elect to blow some of my cash to get a star too. On fumbbl your stuck in the game. I'm not saying that you should be able to abandon the game but would it be against the rules to back out and purchase a star for yourself after the game has begun but befor eyou have started to set up and play. It seems kinda unfair that someone can just ambush you with a star and you can't do anything about it.
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree thmbscrws. Back when wizards were first entered into the Java App, I was surprised to get hit by a fireball on turn 2 when I didn't even know the coach had a wizard. I had checked his roster before hand, but he had bought one after I set up the game.

Well it doesn't happen often, one has to check your opponent's roster after they show up again to see if they have added anything since agreeing to play you.

This also plays havoc with the SR challenge system most coaches go by here. Since SR does not include cash, one can then give themselves a boost to get an unbalanced match. Yes this does effect your coach rating difficulty stat (AFAIK at least), but you may not have taken the game then in the first place.

If I am going to buy a star/wizard I always make sure to mention it before joining/creating the game.

Perhaps we could have a pre-game purchase check box. Check it and you can buy stars/wizards, but team cash gets counted as SR. Uncheck it and you can't buy these player types.
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I always check the opposing roster before challenging/agreeing to a match. If that is changed after the agreement without warning then I believe you have valid reason to withdraw from the game (so long as you do so before the start of play).
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Acording to the fumbbl rules you are obligated to play as soon as the clients connect. In most cases you won't notice the change until after the game has started. I think you should be allowed to back out of the game to buy your own wizard or star if you want and then restart the game. This would be more like table top without having to change any programing. Just put in the rules that if your oponent changes his rooster you can go back and do the same.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:00
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

.. The problem with allowing people to disconnect is that all pre-game rolls (handicaps, niggles, weather) will have to be redone which will inevitably create a mess. I completely understand your reasoning, but I simply don't see a good way of fixing it.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats true and it is a hassale, but if my oponent loads the wrong team we exit out and restart. To me it's kinda like the same thing. Besides one set of random rolls is really the same as the next. But thats just how i see it, i'm sure there are plenty of people who look at it completely differantley.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Theres an easy way to solve that: Add before the handicap rolls a 'your opponent has hired a star player/wizard warning and the option of backing out before any rolls are made.... simple.
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:26
FUMBBL Staff

Britnoth wrote:
Theres an easy way to solve that: Add before the handicap rolls a 'your opponent has hired a star player/wizard warning and the option of backing out before any rolls are made.... simple.

Yeah.. Now, how would you detect this? Smile And in particular, how would you detect it if someone bought a reroll or an additional player?
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:27
FUMBBL Staff

thmbscrws wrote:
Thats true and it is a hassale, but if my oponent loads the wrong team we exit out and restart. To me it's kinda like the same thing. Besides one set of random rolls is really the same as the next. But thats just how i see it, i'm sure there are plenty of people who look at it completely differantley.

True, one random set of rolls is the same as the next. However, "Hmm.. You rolled virus.. I just relized I wanted to buy a cheerleader... Let's restart, shall we?"...
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

...and this is why money is part of TR, because it equals buying potential... (well, dunno if it is, but it fits Smile )

what I mean is, don't trust the SR system so much that you don't check your opponents roster, that way you can see if he has loads of cash.. if he has, there's a chance he'll buy something.. and if you worry that this will unbalance the game unduly, spend some cash of your own.. not an optimal solution, I know, but I think it's actually a bit more like "real" BB coaches would have to do it.. (not real as in "real life tabletop" but real as in fantasy coaches)
Tedage

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2004 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

just slightly away from the point but you dont buy star players or wizards, you hire them...Very Happy
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

If your opponent has cash simply Give him the proxy name Etc (if your hosting if he is its even easier) and wait 1 min if his roster changes dont Start up your client just tell him the game is off if you dont want to play (or buy your own star players etc to balance the game)

Having Said that I have never actually had an opponent change his roster without telling me (and i would not care anyway as I pay attention to both his TR and STR)
Jahira

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If i have the thougt my opponent is getting starplayers... i useualy refresh their roster several times in a row... actually right up till they connect... (if i'm hosting) the other way around it's pretty easy
If he then get's a star you can still say forget it (clients haven't connected yet) and no rules about getting second thoughts
peikko

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Faulcon wrote:
I always check the opposing roster before challenging/agreeing to a match. If that is changed after the agreement without warning then I believe you have valid reason to withdraw from the game (so long as you do so before the start of play).

In the moment client is connected to server the game has started you cannot back up from it. So if you look his roster, set up the server and notice that he has stars when he connects the game its legal and you have to play the game.

Last edited by peikko on %b %23, %2004 - %02:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

TBH, that's why I buy star players post game... so i'm not deceiving anyone.. my gobbos may foul and cheat and generally lie.. but they are always honest about bringin ripper with em.