62 coaches online • Server time: 22:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cataphract

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

what about having a button on the roster page "ready for game" once this button is pressed the roster is locked and no purchases may be made untill a game has been played with the team.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

How about this? A star player only adds, at most, 10 points to the TS. If this is such a hassle, why do you bother to play? It's a form of cherry-picking as I see it, I mean, once you ask someone to a match, maybe they feel your team is too strong or too scary and they decide to buy a star or apoth without mentioning it. In this case, the game is not unbalanced, it is simply better looking to the coach who thought they were at a disadvantage. I would never do this myself, but I've had it done, and though I didn't like it, I played the game and either won or lost, and in the doing I had fun. So, please, if you have a problem, take a group of people and create your own Blood Bowl league where you can implement this and whatever features, but don't complain about the way this site is run. It is a privilege and an honor to have these people spend their time and energy creating an online, almost completely true Blood Bowl experience, and if you have a problem with it, work around it. Sorry if I come across as rude, but I'm just trying to explain it as it is.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

No one was trying to insult or complain about how the site is run. I was just pointing out a minor differance between the site and real life blood bowl. If christer or anyone was offended I'm sorry, but i really don't see how discussing these differances is in any way anything but good for the health of fumbbl and the comunity that plays over it. That is of course provided you keep a constructive tone not a derogatory one. My intent was a purely constructive one and in no way a demand to have anything changed.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2004 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I do that as well, a "take me as I am approach". Some coaches, like myself, enjoy seeing the stars in action (and of course fouling them or taking them out early).

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2004 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel its a legitimate tactic to purchase wizards, stars and new players. From a genre stand point, that game is decided upon long before the teams show up on the pitch to play. It seems very Bloodbowlish to me for a sneaky coach to have bought a wizard or hired a star.

Its not nice, but again, we play bloodbowl, not football, not chess and we aren't nice.
It works both ways and if it was all that usefull wouldn't everybody save 100K to juice their roster after agreeing to a match?

Should I ever have the extra cash on any of my teams I fully inend to use that tactic... no different than choosing a skill or fielding a particular lineup. Legal and a smart thing to do.

Some coaches say "hey that's dirty pool" and they can think it, its their righ to, even make good arguments for it. But part of this game is playing "dirty pool" its in the genre, heck its in the game itself. (fouling many of the handicaps involvesome sort of breaking the rules, secret weapons)
Overt cheating is very different, dropping a game because I brought the deathroller is cheating.. if you don't want to play somebody because they bought a deathroller, have the guts to say "I won't play against that" and forefit. That's part of what that rule is about.

Just my 2 cents...
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed you have a good point NastyOgre. If read some of the blood bowl literature that GW has put out, it is rithe with examples of dirty pool winning matchs or backfiring. Seems to me that it is promoted as a viable option. Dropping I agree is cheating. The beauty of this game is that it allows for alot of things. Many different coachs can play the same game. If you want to be noble, you can. If you want to be a darn dirty goblin kisser? You're choice too. Smile
Twahn

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly.

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Gibbering_Gambits

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I've just seen 2 people agree with "it's in the genre of the game' reguarding sneaky tactics. Ya know how many times I've said that and got shot down for saying it? Well. once would be too many... BUT I disagree on this particular point because:

1) Star players make a big difference in the balance of a team, big lopsided swings generally.
2) A wizard on a Strong team stops a TD.
3) A wizard on an Agile team stops a TD and has a good chance of creating a defensive TD.
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY in the rules there is a phase which BOTH players witness directly before rolling the gate, when players decide to hire freebooters/stars/wizards. If one coach buys a freebooter/star/wizard the other coach should know about this and have the oppurtunity to respond.

I would be disapointed if I agreed to a game vs Chaos Dwarves (already a very good team) and Hthark the Unstopable shows up unexpectedly for the match. I believe Blood Bowl is a game of sneaky tactics once the game has begun, I love and encourage it (as long as I'm doing it).
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

check the roster before you agree to play then and don't play anyone with reserves of cash
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

All of this is from my impressions, ie: I am most certainly not an admin:

The site rules seem more aimed at everyone enjoying the game.

While it IS in flavour to sneakily hire Stars, Wizards, what-have-you, it should also be in the flavour for Tourney playing teams to throw matches, go after specific players, deliberately soften a team for their next comrade, play SPP-fest recovery matches and conspire against other teams.

But the rules of fumbbl prohibit some of these behaviours, such as fixed or soft matches. Thus, the ruling has to be in absolute terms, with RL considerations foremost (coaches getting upset and put-off because of sneaky tricks) as it has been with the soft match rule.

There must have been many a coach in #fumbbl_admin who's tried he argument: "But the coach of a team like this WOULD throw the match, and WOULDN'T ever foul, and would tell everyone about it, too"

The rulings on these issues are unswayed by fluff justifications, so it should probably be that way here, too. If it is deemed cheating to deceive your opponent about your roster for the game, then cheating it is, regardless of whether you think you're the Darkside Cowboys' coach running off with the treasury and the cheerleading squad, or anything strange like that. Laughing

I wouldn't mind a tourney where every form of dirty trick short of disconnects are allowed, including all the things mentioned in this thread and more, but site rules are site rules, and they help the fumbbl community at large, rather than promoting constant distrust that everyone is out to get one over you.
Mully

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

check the roster before you agree to play then and don't play anyone with reserves of cash

Why penalize coaches who have cash for valid reasons ?(ie - to be used to buy a reroll or new player next game)

I don't want to dodge coaches who have cash in their treasury and I don't want coaches to dodge me for that reason either. People are picky enough about games already.

Certainly there has got to be a pre-game programming solution to this other than "don't play anyone with $50K".

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Gibbering_Gambits wrote:
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY in the rules there is a phase which BOTH players witness directly before rolling the gate, when players decide to hire freebooters/stars/wizards. If one coach buys a freebooter/star/wizard the other coach should know about this and have the oppurtunity to respond.

This was the original point i wanted to get across. If someone hires hthark i would like the chance to hire morg to even things up. As it is you can't do this because once the clients connect you have to play and a lot of times people will just refuse to play if you tell them ahead of time a star is coming along. Not sure how this could be fixed except by programing the game to allow stars to be purchased inside jbb but i'd imagine that would be a real pain to program.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

Why penalize coaches who have cash for valid reasons ?(ie - to be used to buy a reroll or new player next game)
Certainly there has got to be a pre-game programming solution to this other than "don't play anyone with $50K".

I think what he meant was "[If you are concerned about your opponent hiring a star/wizard/whatever, then] check the roster..."

If you aren't worried about it or don't care, then it's not penalizing anyone.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Locking down a roster won't do a coach any good if he doesn't look at the team page, which seems to be the only time when this problem would arrise anyway

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't impact me.. i never have any cash in my treasuries Sad