23 coaches online • Server time: 08:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm... if only you could change DivX teams back to Open after trying out the rules, but I guess that's not possible... (I'd like to try out THESE rules, but I don't feel like subjecting one of my teams to whatever craziness DivX might turn into later Embarassed )
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Serious DivX question :

Do your negative winnings keep growing ?

ie - if you are at -20 K and lose another 10 K in the next game are you now at -30 K ?

It would be nice if you had the option to sell players back at cost rather than retiring them and getting nothing for them.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 19:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

No one (well almost no one) plays ladder. I can read the charts but would like to know how many actual ladder games get played a month. Would anyone even miss it?

The same could be said about DivX before the change. Without any particular "officially experimental" rules to test, DivX was more or less dead. The changes to DivX is part of a policy change where we step up to a more active participation in rules testing. If the changes pan out well, we can take the rules and quite a bit of test data to the BBRC saying that "These rules work better than the current system". Up until now, we've only been able to say "ok, your suggestions seems fine" or "this rule here needs tweaking".
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 19:22
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Serious DivX question :

Do your negative winnings keep growing ?

ie - if you are at -20 K and lose another 10 K in the next game are you now at -30 K ?

It would be nice if you had the option to sell players back at cost rather than retiring them and getting nothing for them.

You go deeper in debt. The way to sort it back out is to fire the players, reducing your team rating.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we keep it on topic please.

The reasons the changes have been made was becuase basically DX was as it stood open with vamps and ogre teams. As there isn't really the experimental things to be tested atm a lot of people weren't playing in it. So with some contact with the BBRC these changes have been made to see what effects they have on the long term play of teams.

It doesn't matter too much at the end of the day if its open or closed leagues, the aim of the rules should work fine in both formats. As for cherry pickers, the amount of data produced should people play should negate that, or the fact people will cherry pick with every race again shouldn't cause concern.

If you don't want to test these then don't take part in it. DX was never made to be an extention of open it was solely put there to test new rules, which at the time of creation was the experimental ones but forward by the BBRC, but currently like i mentioned there just aren't the rules there, so these have been implmented instead.
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

poodle-man wrote:
Hmm. without ageing to reduce their effectiveness and with little income to buy support players may we soon see teams made up of 8 good players? Will neg winnings require player dismissal? or was that just a smoke filled dream i had? Has every sentence in this post been a question?

Hmm, if so the player auctioning/trading system under discussion in this thread might make alot more sense!

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2048

Because I do see a major potential for teams to get stuck with just a few high spp players and basically no income.

On a related note this will make starting with a low FF a far worse idea...
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Grumble. Can I ask another stupid question? What's changed with BBRC. I was always under the impression from old posts that they didn't consider FUMBBL a reliable place to receive test data?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for testing this idea to see what issues it solves and what issues it creates.

My gut says
1) it will be close to impossible to keep +300 TR teams
2) teams that do survive at that high TR will be forced to play teams with huge FFs
3) high AV teams will survive longer than high AG teams at 200+ TR (even more so than today).

PS - I am one of the guilty parties that uses DX as an extension of open. Just not enough open slots to fulfill my wide variety of interests. Speaking of which, Christer ......... Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Can I ask another stupid question? What's changed with BBRC. I was always under the impression from old posts that they didn't consider FUMBBL a reliable place to receive test data?

The one thing I do know is that Tom Anders has joined the BBRC. Seeing as he has lobbied quite hard for negative winnings and as he's used FUMBBL data to back up his claim that aging isn't doing its job properly, I would be quite surprised if he wasn't involved in this project somehow.
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

he's used FUMBBL data to back up his claim that aging isn't doing its job properly

Well what's ageing supposed to do is the question ? If it's intent it to keep TR down or else your team becomes unpalyable then it does do it's job. The problem with using FUMBBL data is we do not have the full/correct handicap tables. Ask all the +300 TR coaches if they have any chance of winning a game if the opponent got to pick the 5th handicap roll (ie virus). 90% of them would have no shot at winning. So it's not the ageing that's the problem, it's the current non-LRB compliance.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
Can we keep it on topic please.

Thanks Grum, after reading 2 pages I wasnt sure my original question would be answered.. yo da man!

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Do apoths still count as +5 sr in divX?
cataphract

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the freebot apoth will likely hurt the bashy teams... As an orc coach i get complacent about injuries... and would often forego hiring tha apoth...
"Pah they're AV9 nothing will get through that i'll use that 10k for another cheerleader... can't go wrong with cheerleaders"

however if i was playing woodies i'd get one evry match until they all became blodge machines

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're playing woodies, one apothecary is usually 3 too few.
the_grey_ghost

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

To the question three pages ago. I would love an auto reminder to freeboot an aprocrathy (BTW I think aprocrathys wil become the only thing worth freebooting)

I do not think that bashy teams will be favoured too much. The teams that will be favoured will be the skaven , necros, lustrians that have two start players who have gotten six skills without aging.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

swilhelm73 wrote:
Do apoths still count as +5 sr in divX?

I can't imagine why not. The str system is showing an aproximate ability of a team to win, and the value of having an apoth in any given game is not somehow higher or lower depending on how much was payed.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: