22 coaches online • Server time: 08:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should coach ranking be reset Bi-Annually?
Definately - Make it thrice annually!!
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Sounds good to me.
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Why fix something that isn't broken?
56%
 56%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 65

Renegade

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been browsing the coach ranking page and asking a few questions in the chat resently and i've made a shocking discovery. The coach ranking has only ever been reset once.

I think fumbbl would benefit as a whole if the ranking system was reset back to 150 every 6 months and the leading coaches awarded some form of prize. What this may be is debatable and besides the point.

This would give a fair chance to the accomplished, less experienced coaches and also be exciting for the veterans as they race for the winning spot in the closing months and the top spot in the beginnig few months.

It'll be interesting to find out people views in relation to the ranking they carry.

What are your thoughts?

Ren
Clementus

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Fraid to say this but I strongly disagree with the prizes bit. There are a few people out there who even now care only about their ranking and even some who have been caught cheating in order to gain ranking "points". I like the ideas, but cant imagine prizes, possibly a hall of fame or something similar might be better.

Flings Rule!
poi66

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I donĀ“t give a dime wether to my ranking nor to my opponents on these reasons:

1) I am an average skilled coach with a win rating wobbling around the 55% mark. There are many coaches with a win rating under 50% but in ranking they are way before me. And these are not the brave fling coaches!

2) There are a few coaches so biased to the ranking that they are refusing to play low ranked guys - afraid they could have a lucky win and drop them bad in the ranking. Once a coach turned me down for having too much wins with my team but my coach ranking was too low for him...

I played a 150+ matches when I first realised there is a ranking system anyway...

Since that I only create unranked teams.

Last edited by poi66 on %b %24, %2004 - %11:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You are aware there is already a monthly championship which is reset well, every month, right?
Renegade

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, i'm also aware that it is won by coaches that have played 10-15 games and won them all nearly every month. The greatest coaches on the site ie Malthor and Jahira rarely come in the top 10 because of the volume of games they play. The championship table is a useless statis tbh.
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but a question is wandering my head in these days and this poll riased it again.

Since the handicap system is now implemented (or at least a part of it), the games between not even tr teams *should* be more balanced.

This should also be reflected in the formula to calc the rank variations. In theory, the changes in rank should be minimal now, because the chance to win a game against a stronger team are now better.

Does anyone know if the formula was changed too?

marco

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 12:00
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Renegade wrote:
Of course, i'm also aware that it is won by coaches that have played 10-15 games and won them all nearly every month. The greatest coaches on the site ie Malthor and Jahira rarely come in the top 10 because of the volume of games they play. The championship table is a useless statis tbh.

This is exactly the point. The coaches who play alot get coach ranking and the ones who don't have a shot at the championship.
Renegade

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally don't play enough to get anywhere near the top 30 spot, however, many of the coaches out there play enough and have the ability to reach such an honourable position. Continually playing past 220 pts to reach the King is pointless tbh. I say give Malthor his dues as the reigning champion, note it in fumbbls history and start over. Resetting will give each and every coach a chance at glory! It'll also liven things up.

"Will supreme champion Malthor retain the title he so rightly deserves? Or will some shady upstart surprise all and pip him to the post aided by the fuse of a goblins explosive?"

Liven things up guys! Lets get in character and rock the bloodbowling nation!!

-Renegade wanders of in search of an Exorcet missle and a long piece of string...
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

dinaturz wrote:

Since the handicap system is now implemented (or at least a part of it), the games between not even tr teams *should* be more balanced.

Each h-roll is counted as +5 sr by the site, IIRC.

So if a 190/190 team plays a 205/195 team, their strength ratings should be counted as equal for stat purposes.

EDIT: Fixed the second tr

Last edited by swilhelm73 on %b %25, %2004 - %00:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

swilhelm73 wrote:

So if a 190/190 team plays a 200/195 team, their strength ratings should be counted as equal for stat purposes.

[nitpicking]

Except that you don't get a handicap for ten or less points of TR difference.

[/nitpicking]
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Renegade - good thought - poor solution. I play in a PBEM league (REBBL Challenge latter) and the commish of that league had a great idea. He basically "ages" your points on the ladder. For example, games played over 90 days ago are worth 75%, games over 180 days old are worth 50%, etc.

Now although the ranking system is fine the way it is, I wouldnt mind seeing something such as a "rolling" ranking system that drops all game played over 2 years ago. So the ranking wouldn't be a lifetime ranking, but a continuous 2 year ranking. (if you get my meaning)

So there is no full reset, but games that were played a LONG LONG time ago wouldn't be a part of the calculation either)

Because, in the year 2010, who really cares how many games you won in 2002.

Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully has a good idea there, i say roll out all matches played over 1 year ago, as that is a better timeline based on the life of the website.
Gameon

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have to agree with Mully and Acheron. A more dynamic ranking as suggested would really make it generally more interesting. This would be nice for relatively new coaches who got a lot of defeats in the beginning and slowly learned to play.
bonefaith

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

just to know , why retired team .counts on a coach ranking ?and most of all why one should care about a ranking while the most important thing is top have fun , not to win ?
Mully

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

why retired team .counts on a coach ranking

Just becaue you retired a team that went 0-12 doesn't mean you should have those 12 losses wiped off your coaching slate.

Quote:

while the most important thing is top have fun , not to win ?

True in theory, but many coaches choose winning over fun. That's why the abundance of cherry pickers.

From Gameon
"This would be nice for relatively new coaches who got a lot of defeats in the beginning and slowly learned to play."

Another good point that I hadn't considered. Plus it's a good way to weed out high TR coaches who leave FUMBBL.
 Jump to: