29 coaches online • Server time: 12:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Redgum

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2011 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Once I moved a guy through a TZ. I knew it was there but I figured my guy would dodge because he was AG 5. I rolled a 1 and my guy fell but he is AG 5 and should have dodged. Is this a bug? I would have scored if the dodge worked.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2011 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Well propably i should often activate my player when i go to score and wait till my oponent hits the timeout button ^^. there are some players around where that is tempting.
Bobs

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2011 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Or at least turn off auto-move just to be sure every step of the way.
And best coaches always think at least a minute before moving the first player. Smile

Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The Timeout button should only ever be used as an exception (if at all) not as a general rule & certainly not as a means to win the game.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
The Timeout button should only ever be used as an exception (if at all) not as a general rule & certainly not as a means to win the game.

Why? 4 minutes is a rule, no? It is within the rules to call timeout after 4 mins in TT too, no? In tourneys time limits are enforced all the time.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never seen a timer used in any Table top game or tournament either.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I have. Our anecdotes (ie: not data) differ.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If turns are regularly taking 4 minutes it is highly likely you are playing a new or inexperienced player so you should be more lenient than usual. More commonly I find turns take longer due to in game chat something that should not be discouraged by a timeout. The only other common reason I am aware of being connection problems.

In all the 1779 games I have played to date only a handful have been slow for no obvious reason, of those I can think of only two I might have used the time-out.

To win a game as a result of using time-out while technically within the rules seems to me to be an abuse of the system.

I have played in a tabletop league for six years my information is fact. The only tournament I have been too did not enforce a four-minute rule either.
The ‘anecdotes’ from other players at the tournament seemed to suggest this was the normal state of affairs.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

and the award for "social intelligence" goes to...

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

"I have played in a tabletop league for six years my information is fact"

No sir, you information is "anecdote" and restricted to your own experience. Not fact at all.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
"I have played in a tabletop league for six years my information is fact"

No sir, you information is "anecdote" and restricted to your own experience. Not fact at all.

It may be an anectdote but if it is true it is still a fact. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Gamesmanship fail.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Cyrus. In all the tournaments I played, never was the 4min rule used.
The button should be removed from normal play, but only be able to used during tournaments.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that an official staff view, or just a woodstock one?

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

@pythrr As you may have already guessed I disagree with your interpretation of what is a fact!

However that is irrelevant in so much as there is no dispute that the four-minute rule is part of the CRP rules.

In this specific situation the player action was started before the time-out was called which is allowed for in the rules so nothing wrong.

What I dislike is the attitude of pressing time-out at the first opportunity when you clearly know doing so will change the outcome of the game. This changes what is in essence a social game into something so intensely competitive that it is no longer fun.

I can see why the time-out device is included in the Fumbbl version of Blood Bowl for extreme situations, but can not see it’s use being wide spread any more than I would expect to see it enforced on any table top game whether anecdotal or not.

I doubt I will ever see it used in a game since I am not particularly slow or fast nor am I ever likely to use it. In the same vein I doubt I would ever choose to play someone again who used it in the manner suggested above.