45 coaches online • Server time: 12:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this has probably been discussed before, so apologies in advance if there is already a thread dedicated to this. I won't take it personally if it is locked.

Just a thought guys, the rules are not set in stone regarding the hoarding of cash and having less than 11 legit players in a squad.

FUMBBL Rules wrote:
Teams in competitive divisions are expected to strive for at least 11 players on the roster. While this doesn't mean that any team below 11 players must immediately hire a new lineman, coaches are expected to not let the team deteriorate on purpose.

This being the case, having played a lot of Ranked recently I have come across a number of mid-higher TV teams that are carrying in some cases well over 200K in the bank and a couple of loners on the roster. Given that there is entry to the GLT via a 'donation' to the more than worthy 'Tournament admins retirement fund' this strikes me as a possible exploit waiting to happen.

Most teams that float with 1-2 loners will be under the radar of the more extreme 'kill the team THEN replace' kind of coaching that one associates with this. Is there a defined line where this becomes illegal activity? Or is this dealt with on an individual basis?

Personally I have taken the interpretation of the rule as ALWAYS field at least 11 permanent players if your treasury allows, with the exception of saving for a big guy/positional (which in the most extreme cases will not exceed 140K)

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a couple of threads out there already discussing this issue. Common opinion of the administration seems to be that the rule is for LRB4 teams as due to the availability of Loners being outdated. Although it may apply to teams that choose to play without Loners aswell.
However as I understood Woodstock if a team would happen to horde tons of money while playing with a substantial amount of loners like 10 or 11 he would break the site rules by playing "non-competetivly".
Collins254

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

they could possibly be saving to make a big change? like replinishing both lost players at the same time, or trying to get the linesman to get 6spp and a good skill up and hire him? i got a wood elf team atm with 6 jorneymen atm coz in my last 2 games iv had 4 players killed and in last game 2 got MNG and i got 110k but i want a wardancer for my team more importantly than getting a second catcher or thrower back

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Though I've got as much authority as you on this, my general take on it is:

-Have 11+ players on the roster
-If you have some MNG guys bringing you below 11, decide whether to:
*take journeymen
*buy more real players
*play shorthanded
-If you have fewer than 11 players on the roster, and enough to buy the most expensive thing you're missing, you ought to buy it
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

My personal opinion is that the rule has become obsolete yes. Saving up money does not make your team better, nor does playing with loners.

But as it is still in the rules, you should always try to get 11 non-loners. However, if you have less then 100k and are saving for a wardancer or something else expensive... It is not a problem to have 1-2 loners.

Quote:
However as I understood Woodstock if a team would happen to horde tons of money while playing with a substantial amount of loners like 10 or 11 he would break the site rules by playing "non-competetivly".

Well yeah, but that example is just stupid... Such team management, if you can even call it that, has no place in R&B.

Last edited by Woodstock on Jul 01, 2011 - 16:37; edited 2 times in total
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Been discussed before. Outdated rule of no importance.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it a problem?

Why waste money on lino when next game you may need to replace a blitzer or two.
The no skill lino will get the nasty jobs and be the most likely to die.

If it wasn't allowed wouldn't we be using bank rules?

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Yeah, I agree that the rule itself is outdated, but for example...

Is it fair if a team carrying loners gets into the GLT via the 'donation route' thanks to the large pot of cash they are carrying?

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Is it fair if a team carrying loners gets into the GLT via the 'donation route' thanks to the large pot of cash they are carrying?

YES

1)It is called the cheaters bracket.. the charity bracket to make it sound less nefarious. Thus you are cheating to get into the main draw.

2)It is not an automatic ticket. It allows two teams to advance to the finals match of the qualifer group. Thus you have to play a match to get into the main draw. Thus a team that has 10 loners on a 11 man squad will have to play the qualifer final with 10 loners and no cash.

The Ideal Cheater/doantion team would have a large sum of cash, lets say 300,000 GC and a roster of 14 players that are skilled up...Needless to say that finals match would be a one sided affair if they were matched up against the 11 man roster with 10 J-men.

Of course I still scratch my head after last years cheater stuff went on...THEY ARE CHEATING!!! why must we insist that it be fair and make sure there are rules for cheating? they are cheating!!!!

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, last time this came up Harvestmouse stated that using loners while having a big pot of cash and no MNG players would incur his BANHAMMER!

That's what he posetd, anyway. Interpret as you will.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

i imagine a fair few coaches would rather try to cheat then take cash into the draw.
tournament weight counts cash and now there's wizard inducements.

i'm hoping the cheater playoff is gonna be a good watch.
Kelkka

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought this rule was pre-emptively prevent concession abuse.
New rules say that if you can't field 3 players, you can conceed freely and get to keep your MVP and money. This would be the ultimate way to build your 2 legend min/max team in an hour.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course a litteral reading of the GLT rules for the tournament state that only teams of TV1500 or higher can enter..thus even the cheaters would have to meet the 1500 TV min. requirment. Thus your team with a 1800 TW...300,000 Gold and a perfect 1500 TV.

So meeting the TV1500 min will be an issue for the 11 man/10 J-man team.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Yeah, I agree that the rule itself is outdated, but for example...

If a team full of loners want to enter a major... well, I'll bring popcorn for everyone that wants to watch that epic failathon! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2011 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Ok, last time this came up Harvestmouse stated that using loners while having a big pot of cash and no MNG players would incur his BANHAMMER!

That's what he posetd, anyway. Interpret as you will.

Yes, but Harvest gets confused at times, poor little feller!