58 coaches online • Server time: 23:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jose_Gorinyo

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2012 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Link to article: https://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=27&page=13

Hi all, your favourite noob has been reading and digesting for a few days having discovered GLN. Everyday I see minmaxing and cherrypicking as the two BIG DEALS brought up in IRC... and I think this article hits the nails squarely on the head but what it doesn't do is take the next step and say here's a solution, so here's mine:

BB was originally designed for League/Tournament play, where TV is not used for arranging matches between teams but is used purely as a way of evening up large imbalances by awarding inducements and/or star players to the weaker side.

The only certain similarity between sides brought together in this environment would be that they have played roughly the same number of games to get to the current stage in the competition... so... surely that should be the criteria for games?

Stop looking first at TV to decide whether teams are even, look at the number of games played and then use TV afterwards to even them up with inducements, Star Players and the Special Play cards as originally designed.

From what I've seen, Blackbox is considered the more competitive environment, which I think is the incorrect way of doing things, people should be able to say 'Yeah I wanna play with my Skaven, lets find a random game' without fear of coming home with a load of rat shaped bodybags. If you've only played one game with them, you'll only be matched with a team that's played maybe 5 games at most... if however you've played 100 odd games, then maybe your opponent might have played 150.

Ranked mode should then, imo, actually be a ranked league where TV and experience mean nothing in terms of finding a game. You climb the league by challenging teams above you. End of. You want to wear the number one hat, you gotta beat the number one team, not cherrypick your way through hundreds of easy games to overtake them on points.

Your thoughts please gentlemen? (Pitchforks actively encouraged on this thread since it's a controversial topic)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2012 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

'BB was originally designed for League/Tournament play, where TV is not used for arranging matches between teams but is used purely as a way of evening up large imbalances by awarding inducements and/or star players to the weaker side. '

This isn't true. It was originally designed as a sporty skirmish style game to further use your citadel miniatures. League/Tourney play only really came in towards the end of 2nd edition (Companion book I think, maybe Star Players).

Ranked/Blackbox are our competitive divisions. They both have competitive rules. Neither is viewed to be more competitive than the other. Stunty has some competitive rules (due to competitions taking place in the past) League is not competitive, neither would be an Academy division.

I'd like to see something along the lines of your league play, however speaking to the site owner, it ain't gonna happen! We had a division, which was a little more basic idea of this called Faction, it was not successful.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2012 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Faction wasnt successful because of the disparaging difference in TR (the old TV for the new guys) that saw establish team destroying the new teams and which resulted in a clique being established to get games in for said bashy teams. The new ruleset would go some way to evening out this inequality but the Division is dead and I have to stop flogging it... my necromancy training was ineffectual Sad

I never saw the Ladder division in action so I am not sure how it worked or if that format has any legs in the modern day...

Also whilst we are able to use King of the Hill in setting up tournaments, when I started here (4 years ago) KotH ran in tiers where challenges were issued upwards to advance to become King, I only saw this in [L] so most likely it required a lot of management to maintain.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2012 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
I never saw the Ladder division in action so I am not sure how it worked or if that format has any legs in the modern day...

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=15&page=2

It started as a non-progression division and died out. Then Christer added a challenge system but it never gained enough traction to justify it sticking around as a division of its own.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2012 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers, thanks for adding that Smile

methinks an afternoon of reading the GLN from start to finish is in order, some great gems in some of these articles...
Jose_Gorinyo

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2012 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the backgound everyone, I too will try and delve deeper into the history of FUMBBL before I make anymore suggestions that have already been trialed Smile
 Jump to: