47 coaches online • Server time: 19:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
I've noticed a lot of new people in IRC. My guess is that Fumbbl has "turned over" a good portion of its roster of coaches and the problem is mainly one of awareness among all the new faces.

I would suggest an informational news post on the front page. Explain all the who, what, where, when & whys and maybe link a new thread to help answer question and generate discussion. Approach it as if most people would be playing in their 1st Smack, because I think that might prove to be the case.

You have a great product, the marketing just needs a bit more energy until things get rolling again.

I'm pretty new and while i've heard the term I have no clue what it means. Very Happy
Cevap

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread itself might get some more people to apply imo. And I agree that the TW categories should be widened.
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The money thing for the prices is also good looking... you cut on money to get close to the brackets of TW so you can compete, making extra money appealing.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Pizza's point is strong.

Not sure about widening the TW bands, but prizes should be looked at.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Prizes? They should play for the glory and adoration of their peers!

Edit: Why not widen the bands PGoo?

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should do a study of league games (like Koadah has for the Box Sprint), and see how widening TV actually affects win ratio's over a large sample. We seem to have a lot of people clamoring for wider TV bands (both here and in ranked/box), and we have lots of people who also claim that win ratio's don't actually change that much; so could someone set up a page like the Box Sprint where we could acquire such information? (I figure we have enough league games going by now, that we should at least be able to start looking at such samples).
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Curse TFF and their crappy joining issues for leaving me with that infernal shortening. Wink

I’m wary of any move we make to lean more heavily on Inducements to level up games. I just don’t believe they do an adequate enough job to change the philosophy we’ve always had in the open divisions. The site has always ([B] or [R]) been about the games themselves being as level as possible on the pitch (sure, minmaxing, TS pimping, picking, there are always reasons why this was not so in practice, but the principle was always there) and then us sorting out who wins via coaching. Whenever open SMACKs, widening from 15% in [R], record based [B] pairing (etc, etc) comes up and people put forward the idea Inducements will make up for the TV differential, I always get a bit concerned. In a Major or any other big KO - great, they do a job of giving you a shot if you’ve been paired with something massive. On a day to day basis or a small, eight man KO, I believe we should keep it as level as possible. One off games in Majors being won by good coaches 400TV down doesn’t count as overwhelming evidence that suggests we should change tack.

I’m not adverse to the idea of open SMACKs for people that love the idea, but I’d like to see ‘normal’ brackets retained otherwise.

One reason why SMACKs might not be as popular, it occurs, is because it’s not as easy to win one now. Gone are the LRB4 days where you could rock up with a perfect Undead team with enough cash in the bank for the Count every game, and know you had the thing one unless you were unlucky or you came up against a guy who’d squeezed every drop out of the TR formula as well as you. Minmaxing isn’t easily achieved in [R], so this safety net isn’t as readily available. Just musing. Perhaps widening of TW bands and getting more Inducements in would give savvy coaches a way of giving themselves the advantage again and increase popularity - who knows. I've no doubt cheesy Fling teams would be ace if Rookies still went on, for instance. Getting Inducements in can, of course, work both ways.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Awww PGoo sounds cute and Purp could be PurpleChest. Yer gotta be royalty to get more than 4 chars. Wink

I can see that big gaps might alarm some people in [B ] but in [R] you can decline the game if you don't like it. In a tournament you can aim to come in at the weight limit if you want.

I'm pretty sure that the stats will show that the bigger teams will win most of the games. But that is as designed. Also many coaches will not have much experience with inducements as they don't get to use them that often.

Oh well. People can try out using more inducements in an open format in the [L]eague division. Especially if they don't mind a few House Rules Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
I'm in Jock's boat. It's hard to schedule around a lot of 5 and 6-timezone mis-matches for games, so I try to limit myself to one tourney at a time. I've been tied up constantly with majors, so the need for a SMACK has been reduced. Once I'm out of the LC (unless it's another deep run), I'll be looking at the Legend smacks (the rest don't hold much interest for me...maybe the occasional Elite).

In short: blame my orcs.

+1 for the timezone issue. It's difficult for an ugly american such as myself to schedule games for more than one tourney in a week, so I don't usually apply with more than one team. Had three tourney games to schedule this week and it's been quite difficult.

In conclusion, Europe should move to the night shift. Razz
uuni

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
koadah wrote:

I’m wary of any move we make to lean more heavily on Inducements to level up games. I just don’t believe they do an adequate enough job to change the philosophy we’ve always had in the open divisions.

If I may, I appreciate your points. One thing that I would like to bring out is my perception that the bands have been tightened with the transition from LRB4 to CRP.

In LRB4, the site tolerated up to +-40 TS difference, I have heard. It has been claimed that 1 TS was about 10 TV, which means that beforehand the tolerated band was equivivalent to about 400 TV.

Currently the site tolerates a difference of 15%. With 1000k team this means 150k, with 2000k team this means 300k. Most of the time this is way less than 400k.

People have claimed that CRP inducements make up more strentgh difference than similar TR LRB4 handicaps.

I am left wondering, why it seems that the site has tightened its tolerance to team differences at the same time as the rules have improved the game's ability to tolerate wider differences.

Have I understood the situation wrong perhaps? Was this concious decision by the site, and can someone explain the reasoning behind it, please?
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Awww PGoo sounds cute and Purp could be PurpleChest. Yer gotta be royalty to get more than 4 chars. Wink

Safe Very Happy

@uuni: You may be right, but still 1TS is roughly about 10TV. TS was probably more accurate and (for most cases) less subject to exploits, so the tightening may account partially for that. Or not. May be 20%?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

How open are people to experimenting? What about a one-week experiment where there are, say, 2 SMACK division: Scheduled SMACK Small (TV <= 1500) and Scheduled SMACK Big (TV 1510+)?

It would do 2 things, take the smaller number of coaches applying and get them into a tourney where there otherwise might not have been one (good for future weeks, if people know there will be a tourney and applying isn't pointless), and it will test out the viability of the format.

I don't think anyone thinks SMACKs are so integral to the site that tweaking the format will cause all sorts of heartache ("yeah, back in my day, TR 1500 teams didn't get easy SMACKs with FLINGS in them..."). At worst, it's a failure, and we go back to the old way or a different variation. Best case, we stumble on a new fun way to CRP up the SMACK format.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
How open are people to experimenting? What about a one-week experiment where there are, say, 2 SMACK division: Scheduled SMACK Small (TV <= 1500) and Scheduled SMACK Big (TV 1510+)?

It would do 2 things, take the smaller number of coaches applying and get them into a tourney where there otherwise might not have been one (good for future weeks, if people know there will be a tourney and applying isn't pointless), and it will test out the viability of the format.

I don't think anyone thinks SMACKs are so integral to the site that tweaking the format will cause all sorts of heartache ("yeah, back in my day, TR 1500 teams didn't get easy SMACKs with FLINGS in them..."). At worst, it's a failure, and we go back to the old way or a different variation. Best case, we stumble on a new fun way to CRP up the SMACK format.

I adore inducements.

I enter 1750 TV teams in all the R majors...I'd certainly play a TV 1500+ event, probably with a TV 1500 team Very Happy
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:

+1 from a frequent applicant
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2011 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I started playing 7 months ago in blackbox, a few months ago I joined some leagues, a month ago I played my first major and a rookie rumble, also started playing a bit or ranked now. Maybe smacks soon? Surprised

Don't know much about smacks, read something once but that was about going on irc and the smack starting suddenly or something.

Also don't like the idea of dumping my cash Sad so I might just wait until I have a legend team to enter.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: