80 coaches online • Server time: 22:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What kind of person are you?
live to work
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
work to live
80%
 80%  [ 25 ]
unsure
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 31

garyt1

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2011 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be interesting to see what a lot of active fumbbl members do in their life/work.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2013 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll necro this thread.

Interesting to see 80% feeling like they have a work to live personality. Having thought about it, it's maybe a too simplified dualism, but hey, it's a fumbbl poll (without pie, sorry).

(For anyone interested: I quit the Japanese company I worked at, and am now working for a small foreign one. Life quality graph upward boost.)

Anyway.

"Live to work" is not necessarily negative. You know how some people "are" their job? I think for example a lot of creatives are in the - let's 1337 it up and call it: L2W category. Architects for example. While social workers are probably often W2L.

(@Shraaaag: if you don't follow the social norm in your jp workplace you will gather less respect over time, and lose out on bonuses like harvestmouse says, however as a foreigner you are apparently given some slack. Or, nobody has the guts to scold you off)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 19, 2013 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I think where you post has a large effect on the outcome.

This is a gaming site, ie. a place we come for fun (though that doesn't seem to be the case with a large %) So enjoying yourself is part of something we all want, so naturally the poll is going to support that.

However if you posted the same poll on Ilikethetasteofmyboss'sshoes.com I'm sure there would be a different result.

Of course foreigners are cut some slack in Japan, however in a way it's a little demeaning (you can't possibly expect a monkey to understand our culture) type mentality. Ok I know that's a bit strong, but.....well you know.

I think (ok not you now) when a lot foreigners do go to Japan they try to fit in. I suggest the opposite in the main, and just be yourself. You'd never be expected to succeed anyway. Ok don't do the obvious manner faux pas like wearing shoes into someones home, stabbing your food with chopsticks or not having a shower before sex.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: May 19, 2013 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't envy Japanese workers. It sounds like most Japanese companies are so big there's no room for worker individuality, but I guess that's because I don't know/understand the culture. Norway, where I live and work, has a comparatively small population, and the place I work is a very relaxed workplace (even by Norwegian standards). Even being a small and relaxed place to work, it has grown immensely (both economical and customer-wise) the years I've been there.

Is it possible/easy to start a new company, or being self-employed in Japan?

Post   Posted: May 19, 2013 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

@harvestmouse Yeah I agree, it's a bit demeaning. It's basically treating someone differently based on their background. In many countries it could lead to fines for the company who allows such praxis. Moreover though, it's - like you allude to - cutting back on your possibilities on being successful in the work place, and thus to a certain extent in the society. Whether you agree to this or not - it's basically just "how Japan is". I believe an official UN report some 5 years back, labelled Japan as "Intrinsically Racist". Not malevolent racism like US/Russia, just "we are different, so we treat you differently".

Anyway, this is getting off topic off of the off-topic, so let's bring it back on track - most Japanese men are in the category Live to Work. Or moreover "Become your job".

@Shraaaag Norway is very nice in comparison. There is not much room for individuality in Japan as a whole. It's hard to explain here, but imagine everything you did was always scrutinized (or possibly so), and at any opportunity you will receive mental poke by means of a mouthy comment on your actions/looks etc.

For Japanese it's quite easy to start an own company. However relatively few Japanese are brought up to take initiative and do stuff other than what they are told or what is expected of them. Awfully simplified and generalized of course, but in large there you have it.

To get back on track again though, the perfect worklife/sparetime balance must lie somewhere where your work is something you enjoy, that you can somewhat regulate the hours yourself, and still pay the bills, mortgages, and allows for that trip to Hawaii or wherever once a year Smile

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
 Jump to: