26 coaches online • Server time: 10:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
neverborn

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This is from tbb, but i thought it was such a great idea i would post it on here as well...

here is m0ntys post, followed by my post:

The BBRC's unwillingness to introduce new skills has a sound base of reasoning behind it. However, Ithilkir's suggestion of new skills which require a combination of two or more existing skills to take is a good one. They would have to be called something different: suggestions might include Feat, Perk, Mastery, Talent, Gift, Exploit, Sense, Power or Quality. For the moment, I'll call them Talents.

A decision would have to be made whether to treat Talents like skills or traits in regards to whether you need a double on a skill roll to get them, or have a mix of both depending on the power of the skill. It might also be considered that some Talents might only be available to players who do NOT possess a particular skill and/or can not subsequently take it: e.g. for those with Focus as described below, you can't take Guard; or those with Soft Hands can't take Block.

I would like to hear some suggestions for new skills which have prerequisites. I'll list my Talent ideas here:

Soft Landing (General Talent - requires Leap and Sure Feet)
The player may re-roll the dice if he falls over when trying to leap.

Pressure (General Talent - requires Tackle and Shadowing)
The player has spent a lot of time practising his defensive skills. To represent this, opposing players must subtract -1 from the dice roll if they attempt to dodge out of the player’s tackle zone.

Stomp (General Talent - requires Dirty Player and Kick)
The player has made a career out of putting the boot in when opponents are down. Add +2 to injury rolls on fouls made by this player.

Captain (General Talent - requires Leader and Pro)
This player has matured with experience to become an onfield general whom the fans love. The coach may reroll the result for their team made when working out the kick-off results of Get the Ref, Cheering Fans, Brilliant Coaching, Throw a Rock and Field Invasion. The coach may also reroll when deciding the direction of crowd throws.

Focus (General Talent - requires Dauntless and Nerves of Steel)
The player may ignore modifiers from Foul Appearance when picking up, passing or catching the ball.

Long Jump (Agility Talent - requires Jump Up and Leap or Very Long Legs and Leap)
The player may move three squares instead of two when he attempts a leap. If the player does use this skill, the leap costs 4 squares of movement and the Agility roll has a -1 modifier.

Soft Hands (Agility Talent - requires Catch and Diving Catch)
A player with this talent may add +1 to his catch rolls.

Stonewall (Strength Talent - requires Block and Stand Firm)
When the player is blocked by an opponent and neither player is knocked down, treat it as if the defending player gained a pushback on the attacker, resulting in the attacker being moved away from the defender to a square of the defender's choosing using the normal three-square template. Side Step can not be used by the attacker to affect this talent. The attacker remains upright, and a turnover is not caused.
neverborn

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

and now my post:

i think its a good idea

some alternate skills to think about

snatch ball (pre-req strip ball) (general skill)

when you successfully knock the ball free from an opponent, you get a chance to take it on a -2 before it scatters. This is niether a catch nor a pick up, it is a snatch, so only team rerolls may be used to reroll failure, but nerves of steel do apply. If the snatch fails, the ball scatters as usual.

high mark (pre-req catch & pass block) (agility skill)

your amazing athletic ability gives you +1 to intercept and catch attempts if there is another player from either team in base to base contact with you when you make the attempt. However, because you are leaping on their shoulders to get even higher, a landing roll (like leap) is required to keep your feet once you have made the intercept attempt.

The landing roll for an intercept is in the opponents turn, so you cannot reroll any failures. However, if you fail a landing roll the intercept is still valid, but the ball scatters as usual. The landing roll is before your teams turn, so failure does not result in a turn over.

readying for impact (pre-req block and dodge) (general skill)

Your cunning and experience have taught you how to avoid being injured. A player can declare that they are readying for impact in a particular turn and a token is placed on their base. A player can only ready for impact if it is the only thing they do in that turn. The result of readying for impact is that your are anticipating the contact and your armour value increasese by 1 during your opponents next turn.

At the beginning of a turn a player must remove all of the readying for impact markers before they make any movements, or their opponent can call them for an illegal procedure.

shovel pass (pre-req sure hands) (passing skill)

You are an experience ball handler and you have learnt the art of dishing the ball off very skillfully. To this end you can make a hand off action from one square away from the reciever, as opposed to an adjacent square like a normal player.

jumper holding (pre-req dirty player) (general skill)

You are a crafty character who bends the rule as much as possible, because sometimes you get away with it, you grab onto your opponents jumper to try and stop them getting away from you.

When you use this skill before dodging away from you, an opponent rolls an IGMEOY dice and if you are spotted, the eye goes onto your team (if it wasnt already) but the player is not sent off and the skill cannot be used. If the player avoids detection from the umpire, he holds onto his opponents jumper and effects a -2 to the dodge.

high tackle (pre-req dirty player and tackle) (general skill)

You are a mean spirited old blood bowler and you are always trying to take players down and hurt them.

A player declares this skill before a block is made and if they knock the player over, it is because they got in a high shot. A +2 is added to armour or injury roll because of the dangerous contact. But because it is quite an outragous violation of the rules, the opponent makes an IGMEOY roll with a +1 modifer against the player who made the high tackle because the crowd are so incenced by their player being taken down illegally, the ref is looking extra hard.
UberEvil

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea pretty much. Probably needs refining like everything else though
AeoN2

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it allows too much specialization... probably wouldn't be to disruptive because of the number of skills required though...

But my words of wisom would be "if it aint broken, don't fix it!"

--
AeoN2
m0nty

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The objective of these new skills would not be to define a boring, strictured skill progression that every positional would take. I think it would be much better if the skills with prerequisites needed skills that are not often taken. Or, at least, the reward for getting the new skill should be disproportionate to the popularity of the skills needed to get it. This is why I included Diving Catch as a prerequisite of Soft Hands, because it's a very powerful skill, but you have to take a little-used skill to get there. Similarly, Sure Feet is not often taken, so using it to get a leap reroll is a dangerous waste of a skill.

As for neverborn's suggestions, I see an influence from Aussie Rules football there Very Happy Shovel Pass is an interesting one, although I think a more balanced rule would turn it into Diving Pass, something similar to rugby, where at the end of a player's movement, they may choose to dive into an adjoining square and hand off to a team mate - the passer would go prone, like a diving tackler, but this would not cause a turnover (unless the catcher dropped it, of course). The prerequisites for that one should be Pass and Accurate, or maybe Pass and Safe Throw. Jumper Holding is a nice idea, but it needs a lot of work... if the only penalty is getting IGMEOY, then there is no penalty. If you treated it just like a normal foul, it might work. High Tackle is good, although I would add +2 to the IGMEOY roll. Maybe call it Kinghit.
Surtur

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Wonderful ideas ... What I've seen, they are pretty nice and bring fresh new look to the game.

It is really nice that people commit some time to these kinds of new ideas.

Post 14 Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

most of neverborn's suggestions are receiving the good attention they deserve. Wink

I'd like to put in a pretty good word for Stone Wall... a Talent full of character, indeed,

BUT MY BIG WOO HOO!! Very Happy Has to go to an awesome Talent which would bring a lot to the game, and that is M0nty's suggestion "Captain".

The idea of a long-standing player having a dedicated following amongst the fans to the point where they await his every whim is full of spark - every throw-in, he's pointing, every pitch invasion, he's marshalling troops - what a great way to give a team a bit of soul! Surprised

nice going, you two! - neverborn's stuff is good all over, worth discussion to iron out, but nice ideas and basis for stuff there. Very Happy
Loof

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice ideas!!
Only one of them i have any serious problems with is "readying for impact" since i think haveinga skill that adds a whole new mechanism like tokens to the game costs more than it is worth.
But since i like the idea i would sugest this version instead (havent thought realy hard about this so it might be overpowered) instead of placeing a token on any player that is readying for impact it is automatic for players with the skill BUT it only helps agains blitzes since a block is from to short a distance to have time to brace for.
peikko

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there some need for new skills? Dont we have enought already.
As I see only reason to make new skills would be to bring different races to Blood Bowl that are new and freshing.
Bretter

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

actually i think yes, new skills are needed. With the advent of traits, I think players are becoming more like clones than ever. That's what I like about OLBBL (www.olbbl.com). They use 3rd edition rules without traits and things. These skills above are a great start. Make sure you all voice your opinion at the talkbloodbowl website as well.
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This is reminiscent of Diablo 2's synergy system (as of patch 1.10), which encourages people to focus on skills that aren't normally used. I'm not sure if it would be good or bad in BB. Maybe some skills need upgrading instead.

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I like what I have seen except for STOMP. A pre-req of this is dirty player, so you are seriously considering adding a further +2 to the injury roll.
The rules state only one modifier can be added to a roll unless it is mandatory, like stuntys injury rolls. (ie no MB and claw on an armor roll).
So if you are saying instead of DPs bonus, it is a waste. If it is as well, then that is +4 to the injury sometimes!!!!
NO WAY!!
m0nty

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point, R_Spiskit. It would have to be modified to add +4 for either armour or injury, to replace DP.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2004 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope. It would be like Mighty Blow and RSC combining. Mighty Blow becomes AV only in that case, though you can normally choose where to use it. As such Dirty Player would add +2 to the AV roll, Stomp would add +2 to injury, and you aren't allowed to use both Stomp and Dirty Player on injury - so no +4 (that would be absolutely lethal).
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2004 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote no new skills... don't try to fix what's not broken, don't put yer cart before yer oxen, don't keep beer in bright light, don't talk with yer mouth full and a whole lot of other sayings.