17 coaches online • Server time: 03:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does it make him
Crafty
20%
 20%  [ 27 ]
An enormous hole?
79%
 79%  [ 105 ]
Total Votes : 132

Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Starting chatting just to waste opponents time and then time out.

Worst sportsmanship ever!

It has nothing to do with fouling or stalling.

Well thanks for the heads up Sage and at least you never have to play him again in Ranked. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Crafty hole?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

BooAhl wrote:
Crafty hole?

+1
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Juff wrote:
Sorry Shraaaag, but I really have to disagree with you on your definition of the four-minute rule.

The rule is from the board game, so no Fumbbl RL rules there, and distinctly states the opposing coach *may* enforce a timeout. Note that this is very different from a rule that states "After four minutes, the turn is over, and the coach may make no further moves".

While it is any given coaches prerogative to enforce a timeout if/when they are able, it's generally a pretty lousy move with regards to the spirit of the game in many peoples eyes, which is the point the poll is addressing.

Where does it say opposing coach *may* enforce timeout? All I found in the rules is "A coach is only allowed four minutes to complete his turn." and reasons for turn-over: "4. The four-minute time limit for the turn runs out".
I personally don't see it as a lousy move to time someone out. Every coach is responsible for how he/she manages his/her time. You don't have to time your opponent out, but doing so, doesn't make you a villain.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel along the same lines as Shraaaag. Personally, if a coach asks for time for some reason or another I don't mind waiting. Otherwise, after 4mins I usually time them out. More from years of timed pool/chess than anything else, but oh well.
highelfmage

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

most opponents will get a 30sec warning.now if you are a jerk te i will have my mouse ready to timeout as soon as 4 min is reached.
Hank

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I play both table top (in a competitive league) and of course in Fumbbl, and I do time out. WIth the four minute rule you have to take some risks, go on your gut feeling and dont have time to calculate every move - and that is how it should be - not just tactic but tactic under time pressure. And on fumbbl four minutes is plenty of time as the dice is rolled automatically.
rackam

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

don't be morrons

stalling and fouling are not like timing out, we cannot discuss point without fouling and stalling back to the argue

this is the worst point of the rules with illegal process
just to disgust newbies from the game

using it is a lake of sportmanship

Playing on the internet doesn't permit all, in tabletop how many people would do that to you

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

in the tabletop leauge i play in, we use it all the time.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

rackam wrote:

in tabletop how many people would do that to you

apparently lots, from the thread responses
highelfmage

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

in the table top with dont use the 4 min rule as most coaches cn finish a turn in 4 min. and new coaches may need the extra time.
Fela

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

rackam wrote:

Playing on the internet doesn't permit all, in tabletop how many people would do that to you

Also, unlike the timeout button, in tabletop you can simply ignore the moron on the other side hopping arround yelling 'illegal procedure', if you don't agree that playing for 1 minute and discussing the latest soccer results for 3 equals a 4 minute turn.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Starting chatting just to waste opponents time and then time out.

I don't think he deliberately chats in order to timeout. I asked him this after the fact, and he said: "I'd like to take credit for being so crafty" or something along those lines. I could be wrong, but I believe what he said.
If he's consistent ('do anything within the rules to win' is what he said in the discussion), he will be doing so deliberately now that the idea has worked its way into his brain.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I say it's a horrible thing to do. Shame on him.

The fact that the game is playing on the web and the other guy isn't actually there doesn't excuse behaving like a douche to them.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i completely agree with the majority that this is bad style to do without warning, especially since the chatting indicates that fun is more important than the result (to the player chatting) so a less strict interpretation of the four-minute-rule is (and can be) expected.

having said that, i want to say something about what the rules say - basically with focus on the four-minute-rule being mandatory in the rules or not. here is what LRB6 says, all on page 7:
top left: "A coach is only allowed four minutes to complete his turn."
and bottom right of that page, section turnovers: "The following events cause a
turnover: 1... 2... 5.The four-minute time limit for the turn runs out ..."
so, from LRB6 this is a mandatory and fix time-out. i interprete the button on fumbbl as courtesy to having more friendly play possible (so you do NOT time out) and actually to react on RL interruptions.

to be strict: i believe if you do not want to be timed out, you have to ask for the opponents intended behaviour before you kick-off. if not stated otherwise i think it must be expected that people time us out hitting the button at 4 minutes sharp.

having said that, i would only very rarely press this button. but again, that is a style-question, not a rule-question.

./blizz
 Jump to: