20 coaches online • Server time: 01:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does it make him
Crafty
20%
 20%  [ 27 ]
An enormous hole?
79%
 79%  [ 105 ]
Total Votes : 132

pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

BlizzBirne wrote:
i completely agree with the majority that this is bad style to do without warning,

Except in this case, HE DID warn him, twice, apparently.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
rackam wrote:

in tabletop how many people would do that to you

apparently lots, from the thread responses

the difference in RL is that you can stick your goblin miniature in your opponentĀ“s eye... thatĀ“s why on the internet its easier to behave in a way your opponent might not like.....
Fela

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
BlizzBirne wrote:
i completely agree with the majority that this is bad style to do without warning,

Where does it say that?
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be nice to have [A]cademy back and avoid all this. Wink

In the so called 'competitive' divisions you have to be prepared for people to time you out.

A decent fellow would warn you first but doesn't have to.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
BlizzBirne wrote:

pythrr, the_sage is talking about a game he played against a.n.other player. Not my game in the FC. It is somewhat co-incidental that the 2 issues have sprung up at the same time, but they are unrelated.

I think people know my stance on the matter. I never time people out who go AFK or such and I do warn people before timing them out, which I have done in the Blackbox and more recently the FC.

I used to play in a league where we played to the clock, which is probably why I play so fast on Fumbbl, but I also understand people not liking the time out rule. After all, I played without a DP on Fumbbl for several years (although I never had an issue with my opponent using one).
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, ok. I thought this was an "anonymous" thread which was all about you.

/my bad.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
If a coach is very chatty during your turn, but then times you out at a critical point without warning...

This line is actually pretty specific.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but....

Your poll seems to be set up to make your opponent look like a complete douche (which seems to be an accurate assessment based on the circumstances) and even though you have said yourself about the policy for name and shame this is a badly disguised attempt to do just that.

Agreed that its bad form to do what he did but so is this.

/me hides Smile

**edit**

btw I voted enormous hole Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

easilyamused wrote:
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but....

Your poll seems to be set up to make your opponent look like a complete douche (which seems to be an accurate assessment based on the circumstances) and even though you have said yourself about the policy for name and shame this is a badly disguised attempt to do just that.

Agreed that its bad form to do what he did but so is this.

/me hides Smile

**edit**

btw I voted enormous hole Razz

Thanks for the bump. =)

I think name and shame is a good idea, and I'm glad that publicly visible blacklists were designed to do just that. I'm aware that forum posts are not, and as you can see in Pythrr's reply, it wasn't disguised that badly.

I was (am) legitimately interested in FUMBBLs opinion on the matter, though I was mainly venting frustration.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It would have to be an extreme situation before I would use Timeout, which I doubt, would ever occur.

I would be unlikely to play anyone who did it to me ever again and would withdraw from any League that player was in if drawn against them.

I play a lot of Tabletop and have never seen this rule enforced.

(Lets not get into the argument about whether that is anecdotal or not Pythrr!)

I believe Fumbbl should either enforce the 4 minuets rule for every game in every circumstance or go back to allowing 10 minuets grace as before. The current situation plays in to the hands of the un-sportsman like players and to the detriment of new players.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I just assume I'll get timed out at 4, so hurry up if I'm dawdling.

Makes my life happier.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 15:54
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

i got timed out in my FC game, to my shame.

I am not sure we mentioned it at all in chat, the game was played in a good friendly spirit until then as far as i was concerned, and continued to be so afterwards. There was no warning, just a time out seconds after it became available on the only turn i went over.

And thats absolutely fine with me. In a cup one should expect such things. In standard play I'd be a little more unhappy about it, and i am not sure i'd personally do it in either circumstance, but the option remains there and people have the right to.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

PC sums it up well. You know what the craic is before you start so there should be no issue here.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
i got timed out in my FC game, to my shame.

I am not sure we mentioned it at all in chat, the game was played in a good friendly spirit until then as far as i was concerned, and continued to be so afterwards. There was no warning, just a time out seconds after it became available on the only turn i went over.

And thats absolutely fine with me. In a cup one should expect such things. In standard play I'd be a little more unhappy about it, and i am not sure i'd personally do it in either circumstance, but the option remains there and people have the right to.

+1
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

With the auto-move on the new client, and the much easier and helpful user interface, coaches should have very little excuse to go over 4 mins anyway in my humble opinion.

I've never used it (or indeed had it used on me), but when I come up against another coach in Box that can't even respond to a "Lets have a good game", or congratulate a TD, and goes slower than a sloth through treacle, I have been VERY sorely tempted, and might start using it after warning the coach to speed up.

I guess everyone approaches this in their own way. At the end of the day, even if you put a "Press this button and blow up your PC" someone will be bound to press it. Smile

Jump to: