29 coaches online • Server time: 01:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does it make him
Crafty
20%
 20%  [ 27 ]
An enormous hole?
79%
 79%  [ 105 ]
Total Votes : 132

Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as you don't use anything but strong play and speed to make it hard for your opponent to keep under 4 minutes all is of course fine.

I once specced a game were after finishing a crucial turn and sending a crucial turn to his opponent the player suddenly started asking about all kinds of questions about which TV series the other guy watched and so on, seemed like quite the coincidence. Surprised

Morale; Never trust people who chat! Twisted Evil (or something)

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

People do not have to respond.

Distraction tactics are fair play.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2011 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
People do not have to respond.

Agreed

pythrr wrote:

No. It´s just showing unsportsmenlike.

Greetings

Smeesh
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

don't mix up legal play and fair play - the first it might be, the latter definitely not.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

BlizzBirne wrote:
don't mix up legal play and fair play - the first it might be, the latter definitely not.

Pretty good summary, that.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

BlizzBirne wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Pfft. Sledging is present in all sports. Live with it.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
BlizzBirne wrote:
pythrr wrote:

That doesn't make it fair play.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

I can easily LIVE with it, and even play with it. I said before: If it is according to the rules to time people out, you have to expect it to happen. Whether you consider it good style or not is a different question. Nobody tells me I have to play people again that I know to time me out. And if I play in the box - part of the game. Or to quote you: Live with it.

But fairness is a principle that goes beyond the clarity and precision of rules (as DukeTyrion referred to also in his recent blog post). Thus I consider it perfectly valid to name a behaviour legal but unfair (if both would mean the same the existence of an additional word would be kinda stupid anyway).
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Good style = winning. Whatever works is fair play by me, aside from stuff like intentionally DCing, etc.

"Fairness" is ultimately an entirely arbitrary thing - everyone will have their own idea of what this might be. Good luck finding a consensus.

Enjoy!

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Best tactic would be to go afk the turn after someone did this, then he can't legaly time you out. Fight a hole by being a hole.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Were_M_Eye wrote:
Best tactic would be to go afk the turn after someone did this, then he can't legaly time you out. Fight a hole by being a hole.

Are you aware of the following rule:
"Intentionally delaying the game by for example not ending your turn or by waiting for extended periods of time before moving is not allowed."

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
Were_M_Eye wrote:

"Intentionally delaying the game by for example not ending your turn or by waiting for extended periods of time before moving is not allowed."

If you just type "brb" nobody can know if it is intentional or not. It is the part of being a hole you see.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Were_M_Eye wrote:
Shraaaag wrote:
Were_M_Eye wrote:

If you just type "brb" nobody can know if it is intentional or not. It is the part of being a hole you see.

If this is your attitude, you have no place on the site imo. So if you get reported for intentionally delaying play, I can qoute your points here, right?
garyt1

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If you spend 5 minutes deliberating an action and got timed out then the person timing you out would not be a "hole". If you were timed out for one time in the match when you have said you are going to answer the phone, and came back after 5 mins then that might be another matter.
Best thing to do is enjoy chatting but keep your own turns to 4mins and under. Then you have conversation, hopefully fun, and not loads of long waits. Definitely do your typing in the opponents turn if you are a slow player.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Were_M_Eye wrote:
Shraaaag wrote:
Were_M_Eye wrote:

If this is your attitude, you have no place on the site imo. So if you get reported for intentionally delaying play, I can qoute your points here, right?

That't the thing. You can never know when it is intentionally. So you can time out someone that chats alot, but why aren't you allowed to time out someone that is afk (dont remember where, but some admin said that was against the rules)? If we are going to have 4 min, let us have 4 min without any other rules. Make so the client times us out or add the old 15 min extra, then nobody have to be a hole.

Edit: And quote away, because it will never happen. (im just a hole in the forum : )