44 coaches online • Server time: 17:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does it make him
Crafty
20%
 20%  [ 27 ]
An enormous hole?
79%
 79%  [ 105 ]
Total Votes : 132

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

So what you're saying is, you should use a slight loophole for the detriment of the site? In such situations, the admins look at what has happened.

It maybe that coach is deemed as time wasting. I wouldn't advise anyone (particularly you now) taking your advice. A ban would be lengthy.

As I said, anyone who thinks like that, has no place on fumbbl.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there should be an auto timeout after 4 mins, with 2 emergency stops of 5 mins each(which maybe run on together). This would remove some of the moral issues that some people here have.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I think there should be an auto timeout after 4 mins, with 2 emergency stops of 5 mins each(which maybe run on together). This would remove some of the moral issues that some people here have.

JF talking sense!!!!
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What all keep forgetting in the discussion: the way FFB is built you can have an endless amount of "emergency stops" of unlimited time by simply closing the client. Picking up the game again is smooth and easy (just as with disconnects). There may still be a small bug in there with the clock not stopping properly, but this will be fixed eventually.

If your cat really is on fire nothing keeps you from telling your friendly opponent "sorry guy, cat is on fire, we'll have to continue tomorrow". One of the strengths of the new client, I think.
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

then again you would want to make it optional for [L] and inactive for [A] then, right?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol if it was actually used in A, then that's a serious eye brow raising moment.
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe. exactly. Wink

but kalimar has a point there, with this fact no change adds any value if you ask me. (actually i didn't even know that kalimar ...)

Last edited by BlizzBirne on %b %16, %2011 - %17:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
HouseT

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

In RL, we always play with time clocks. For the most part, it's to facilitate the games taking less than 3-4 hours to play. But it also creates an extra level of strategy to have to plan out each of your moves within the four minute time frame.

When the timer goes off, your turn is over. Everyone accepts that, and no one thinks it's cheap to enforce it on an opponent. And I've always had the habit of being chatty (or more chatty) on my opponent's turn. But that's usually because I'm hanging out with friends and it's just a chatty environment. I make sure to pay enough attention to the game to see when moves/rolls are made, and if an opponent actually asked me to keep it down or something, I would.

So as far as playing here goes, I think that having a timeout button as a courtesy is a good thing, especially since people can have RL issues pop up and might need extra time. But four minutes IMO is more than enough time to make all of the moves you need to in a turn.

The only time I ever really push that is if I need more time to think, and then it's on me to work that out within that same four minutes. And if I don't think that I can make a chat comment and play within the same time limit, then I just do what I do IRL: chat when it's not my turn. Not to be crafty, but because it's just practical. That's just me, though.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
What all keep forgetting in the discussion: the way FFB is built you can have an endless amount of "emergency stops" of unlimited time by simply closing the client.

Whilst that may be true, I wouldn't suggest to people that they get into the habit of closing the client 10 times in a game, just so they can make a cup of tea, have a shave and wash the cat etc...
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Another possibly unknown fact: timeout as well as the amount of time available per turn is a game option parameter in FFB configured by the site. So it is actually Christer deciding what it will be, depending on division or tournament or whatever. No problem to deactivate the timer completely for the new [A] for instance. No code change necessary.

DukeTyrion wrote:
Whilst that may be true, I wouldn't suggest to people that they get into the habit of closing the client 10 times in a game, just so they can make a cup of tea, have a shave and wash the cat etc...

This is something that can only be covered by site rules anyway. That's what #fumbbladmin is for ...
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

he, kalimar - getting more and more impressed by the client code. thumbs up.
is there also an "enforce timeout" flag or so to give to the client? then christer could at least use that option if it was ever wanted ...
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Another possibly unknown fact: timeout as well as the amount of time available per turn is a game option parameter in FFB configured by the site. So it is actually Christer deciding what it will be, depending on division or tournament or whatever. No problem to deactivate the timer completely for the new [A] for instance. No code change necessary.

DukeTyrion wrote:

This is something that can only be covered by site rules anyway. That's what #fumbbladmin is for ...

I know, but since you are the one who coded the client (for which I am very grateful), some (especially newcomers) might to take your comments as rule.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
I know, but since you are the one who coded the client (for which I am very grateful), some (especially newcomers) might to take your comments as rule.

Hehe. Me? Rule? Never. I'm that guy with the long heavy iron chain binding his foot to the Fumbbl server, slaving away at the client code. Christer throws me some breadcrumbs from time to time... Wink
GAZZATROT

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

A simple addition that I think can only help, is a small audible "Ping" or such noise to go off at the 3 Minute mark. Just in case someone has been dawdling or chatting away, so as to make the player go "ok, no talk, Focus, NOW!!"

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2011 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

or...you know...

you could learn to multitask....and talk *WHILE* moving your players...sure you can't type and move a player at the same time...but you can certainly move a player, respond to a comment, move another, respond, etc etc etc...

seems to me that if you spent 4 minutes having a conversation, instead of actually playing the game...then it's your own fault you got timed out...

people need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions, instead of just blindly throwing it on everyone but themselves....

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: