40 coaches online • Server time: 15:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Does it make him
Crafty
20%
 20%  [ 27 ]
An enormous hole?
79%
 79%  [ 105 ]
Total Votes : 132

the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

If a coach is very chatty during your turn, but then times you out at a critical point without warning...
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The latter, obviously.

That much having been said, if you're chatting with an opposing coach during your turn to the extent that you're running over 4 minutes, that's not great either. I've had some talky games in the past, and that's great, but when your turns start running that long, it's probably time to step away from the keyboard a bit, get things done, and say what you want to say during the opponent's turn.

Not saying I'd time someone out for doing that, but I'm also not saying it wouldn't annoy me 99% of the time.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
SvenS

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Its better to chat mostly in your opponents turn. That way you can have fun chatty games that dont take forever Wink
I prefer warning/being warned before timeouts though.

SL
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Complete jackass. Had someone do this me once - we spent my turn chatting then he timed me out immediately on 4 mins and wouldn't respond in his turn. Right at a crucial moment with all mens in contact. Total idiot. I conceded actually - if that's how someone wants to win, they can have it without me having to waste my time interacting with them.

I can sense this might drag things off topic, but I always give "fair warning" if I am going to time out (virtually never anyway).
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In this case it was just after succesfully popping the ball but before pickup.
He said he does it to everybody and has it done to him all the time.

I think there's a policy against naming the coach here? Fortunately, that's exactly what blacklists are for.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Right - everyone please remind themselves about site rules. Putting symbols into words to be all sweary isn't allowed. Don't make me edit again (more than anything else, it's effort).

Neither is naming names, be cool. Please keep this thread on the up and up, or you'll find it locked.

Having said all of that; my views on timeouts are well known. It's a stain on the site that frustrates the pants off of me. I can only presume the idea that it's a good thing / should be enforced is born out of not playing the game in reality and being all internetty about it.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Right - everyone please remind themselves about site rules. Putting symbols into words to be all sweary isn't allowed. Don't make me edit again (more than anything else, it's effort).

Thanks for the edit PGoo. My bad.

Last edited by the_Sage on Nov 14, 2011 - 21:27; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't just you - I just hate effort, is all. Wink
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This poll is meaningless in my opinion. There's a 4 minute rule, and the button is a courtesy in case of real life interfering. The alternative would be the game automatically timing you out. Time management is important in competitive play in other games, why should blood bowl (a game where half the coaches try to beat your team in to a pulp) be any different?

When that is said, I usually warn my opponent first time they reach the limit, and unless real life interferes, I will time them out the second time, and I hope they'll do the same for me. If I chat with them, I usually give them a friendly reminder when time is closing.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Shraaaag, but I really have to disagree with you on your definition of the four-minute rule.

The rule is from the board game, so no Fumbbl RL rules there, and distinctly states the opposing coach *may* enforce a timeout. Note that this is very different from a rule that states "After four minutes, the turn is over, and the coach may make no further moves".

While it is any given coaches prerogative to enforce a timeout if/when they are able, it's generally a pretty lousy move with regards to the spirit of the game in many peoples eyes, which is the point the poll is addressing.
stej

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Chat in your opponents turn. ITs good for making sure you dont waste your own time and also distracts them a bit. Every little advantage you can gain in this game where luck has such a huge impact has to be worth it surely...
Juff

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
Chat in your opponents turn. ITs good for making sure you dont waste your own time and also distracts them a bit. Every little advantage you can gain in this game where luck has such a huge impact has to be worth it surely...

Yeah, if your goal is to win at all costs. It somewhat conflicts with other peoples' goals, such as "do what you can to create an enjoyable game/atmosphere for you and your opponent".

FWIW, I'm not taking this side of the argument because I get timed out - my turns generally run at ~2 mins tops, and I do everything I can to secure the best result I can from each match... *without* being an ass to my oppo.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, it's legal. End of story. It's like fouling. Some people won't like you, but it is within the rules.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

SvenS wrote:
Its better to chat mostly in your opponents turn. That way you can have fun chatty games that dont take forever Wink
I prefer warning/being warned before timeouts though.

I agree. You can read any long chat in oppos turn and reply before it comes back to yours. Some good chat is a major part of enjoying the game, or should be.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2011 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
If a coach is very chatty during your turn, but then times you out at a critical point without warning...

A friend of yours?

Have you played vs him before?

If you answer no to both of them, then you should expert that some people have a different view on how the game is played, like fouling, like stalling, etc.

Maybe should be added to "How to be a right bastard" Very Happy
 Jump to: