73 coaches online • Server time: 21:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thought about this some more and have come up with a template we should use for [A] team submissions. All teams should have:

A team name
4 rerolls
1 Apo
0 cheerleaders, ass coaches, fan factor
14 players (maxing out positionals, gobbos + flings get 16 players)
0 treasury

You then pick 5 players who get a single normal skillup (not a double). A mix of 'optimal' choices and some non-optimal is good (so not 5x block). And finally a single 'star' player with two skillups (again no doubles or stats).

I think this will produce a nice variety of teams that are ideally suited for a total beginner to play. It will also naturally produce some TV variety so players will see inducements, but very importantly don't have to think about the (non obvious) way petty cash changes inducements.

Here's my goblin roster changed to match this template (and without the bomber/fanatic as they aren't implemented in the client yet).

Code:
"Deys Cheetin"
Goblins

130 Troll +grab
 150 Troll +break tackle, guard
  90 Pogoer +sure feet
  40 Looney
  60 Goblin +side step
  60 Goblin +diving tackle
  60 Goblin +catch
 360 9x Goblin

50 Apothecary
 240 4x Reroll
====
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Now Pro Elves: (name by blader4411)

Code:
"Like A Pro"
Pro Elf

130 Blitzer +dodge
 150 Blitzer +tackle, leap
 120 Catcher +wrestle
 120 Catcher +dodge
 100 Catcher
 100 Catcher
  70 Thrower
  90 Thrower +accurate
  80 Lineman +kick
 300 5x Lineman

50 Apothecary
 200 4x Reroll
====

Last edited by clarkin on %b %14, %2011 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Code:
"Shambling Horde"
Undead

140 Mummy +guard
 120 Mummy
 110 Wight +mighty blow
 130 Wight +frenzy,juggernaught
  90 Ghoul +catch
  90 Ghoul +block
  70 Ghoul
  70 Ghoul
  60 Skeleton +dirty player
  80 2x Skeleton
 120 3x Zombie

280 4x Reroll
====
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Code:
"Green n Meen"
Orc

110 Troll
 100 Black Orc Blocker +guard
 100 Black Orc Blocker +stand firm
  80 Black Orc Blocker
  80 Black Orc Blocker
 100 Blitzer +frenzy
 100 Blitzer +strip ball
 120 Blitzer +mighty blow, tackle
  80 Blitzer
  90 Thrower +kick-off return
  70 Thrower
  40 Goblin
 100 2x Lineman

50 Apo
 240 4x Reroll
====
clarkin

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to make a team to match this template for every race if it's what Christer ends up going with. I think one team of every race keeps it nice and simple, while still giving lots of play styles and skill interactions to explore. An easy additional option to go with these teams could be 'rookie' versions which are identical except without any skillups (for total beginners).
maysrill

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that I think might help an Academy division: an award for people who play X number of Academy games against coaches who have <10 games on the site.

Trainer Initiate
Adept Trainer
etc.

For all the improvements to the noob experience, getting experienced coaches interested in helping is important. Some people like collecting awards, and they don't "cost" anything to give out (aside from the time to implement in the first place).
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Good job Clarkin. Basicly the more effort and the more rosters you do, the easier it'll be to get it off the ground.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It may be a good idea to include variable FF in those teams as well, so people can see how it effects fame as well.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

POW POW Required
Amazons
4x Blitzer
5x Linewoman + Block
5x Linewoman
1x Thrower + Sure Hands, Block
1x Catcher

4x Reroll
1x Apoth

1120k ?
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I made this orc team in old A. The idea was that new coaches would get use to the blocking players with different strength.

Got str 2 gobbos, str 3 lineorcs, str 4 bobs and a str 5 troll.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure why all teams should have 14 players, I think elfs and dwarfs should have 11-12, and some could do with 13, stunties should only have 15 to leave room for a star player.

With 14 players the elfs will almost never get to play short-handed.

Garion wrote:
It may be a good idea to include variable FF in those teams as well, so people can see how it effects fame as well.

As long as the veteran player goes "HEY LOOK AT THAT TEXT OVER IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER, IF YOU SCROLL UP YOU CAN SEE THAT YOU FANFACTOR WAS COMPLETELY USELESS!" Surprised

Some fluff text for the teams would be really cool. Very Happy

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Panda_

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Non progression is the way imo, if they're bored......well they're ready to move on.

I think these semi skilled teams (6-10 skills per team) look about right, however I think it's important to cover every race.

I think I played more academy than most, and what I found is that most that come through, really don't know what they're doing (but half think they do).

At least half don't really want that much constructive criticism to be honest. Either they don't want to hear it or it's difficult to take in.

So I usually keep it to 2 points that need improving and 1 point they did well. Teams need to be built around this criteria I think.

You're right harvestmouse. There is no use to cover all races. There is just too many of them. I'd like to add more juice to that. There is no use to get as much experienced team than rookie team. People usually get the feeling of a team by playing it at rather low TV. That's also emphasized because most teams loose more players when their coach learns the game.

That's why I would advocate with something like : 4 rookie teams, 3 advanced teams, and 2-3 experienced teams. I'd define rookie teams as 0 spp teams (Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, High Elfs cover all basics skills and strength), advanced team would have about 5 added skills among the players (things like guard, block and dodge, tackle, piling on). I'm somewhat doubtful to teach with experienced team (12 added skills including the best combos), students would urge to try those. But they need the basics first. This should be the degree before moving to the usual divisions.

Earlier in the thread, some one mentioned to set match-ups. I'd raise against that idea. As I've taught this game a few times, I've learnt that the best way to learn the race play style is to play the same team. That's right, my best teaches were playing an rookie human team against the exact same team. I cannot emphasize that enough.

But that's only second to giving usual advices :
- First move most of the "free players",
- Minimum cover of the ball,
- Throw 2d blocks from "block" players,
- Throw 2d blocks,
- Dodges are now roll-able
- Decide were to blitz, move a player as assist,
- Blitz the target,
- Get the ball / Move a player in scoring range,
- LAST the BG block,
- LAST of the LAST throw 1d blocks.

Those usual advices are better given first, and reminded during the game (including during the teacher first turns).

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2011 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to add some congratulations. Beeing able to play without creating a team is the idea that prevent me and others from teaching in the actual Academy. This would also push teachers to teach rather than building their teams. This also opens the possibility to play mirror games.

In the past, I hosted games directly linked with the Skyjunkie client. Without using anything from fumbbl (appart from IRC). The teams were the local ones. Christer's idea are the best implementations, I could have dream of.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2011 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a blog post asking for people's suggestions matching the template I drafted and got a few good ones:

by Rabe
Code:
"Slow but Sturdy"
Dwarf

110 Slayer +Mighty Blow
 110 Slayer +Juggernaut
  80 Blitzer
 100 Blitzer +Fend
 120 Runner +Kick-Off Return, Pass
  80 Runner
  90 Blocker +Guard
  90 Blocker +Stand Firm
  90 Blocker +Grab
 300 4x Blocker
 160 Deathroller

50 Apo
 200 4x Re-Roll
====

by quixote
Code:
"Lowdown Dirty Ratz"
Skaven

180 Rat Ogre +Guard
 110 Blitzer +Tackle
  90 Blitzer
  90 Thrower +Accurate
  70 Thrower
 120 Gutter Runner +Wrestle, Strip Ball
 100 Gutter Runner +Block
 100 Gutter Runner +Sidestep
  80 Gutter Runner
 400 5x Lineman

50 Apo
 240 4x Reroll
====

by quixote
Code:
"Lustria's Defenders"
Lizardmen

140 Kroxigor
 120 Saurus +Break Tackle, Frenzy
 100 Saurus +Block
 100 Saurus +Guard
 100 Saurus +Mighty Blow
 160 2xSaurus
  80 Skink +Diving Tackle
  80 Skink +Sidestep
 300 5x Skink

50 Apo
 240 4x Reroll
====

If anyone wants to make up a roster for one of the races not yet shown that would be excellent. The template is at the top of page 3.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2011 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think two guards would suit the dwarven style of play better without making them too strong. Unless they score a lot of casualties, they will really struggle in the positional game, especially when coached by an inexperienced player. Your guard will be tied up soon enough.
However, I like Stand Firm, too - teaches the benefits of the skill and how it can screw your (opponent's) positioning plans. Smile

I really like how you also learn that 14 players is by far not optimal for every race (dwarves will unlikely ever use them all, for teams with expensive bench players it gives away much inducement money while cheap bench players will allow you to do some fouling and so on).
It also prevents the match getting too frustrating in case a player is very lucky on block, AV and injury rolls since you'll have a solid reserve to play with in the next drive.

A new player will be able to compare and analyze the academy rosters after a few matches and find out weaknesses, strengths and variations by himself.

Good job, I'd say! Smile

Jump to: