59 coaches online • Server time: 22:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The current sequence for fend seems wrong to me.

It asks the defending coach if fend is desired, then gives the playing coach the option to follow up.

This somewhat diminishes the point of choosing, since you either don't want the follow up or do, but you are telegraphing the latter by declining the fend.

It should ask the playing coach if they want to follow up, and if the follow up is attempted, then it should ask the defending coach whether to fend.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't looked to see how the rules are written regarding it, but I agree it would make the game a bit more tactically interesting by asking the blocker/Blitzer first and then allowing the DeFENDer to choose to allow it or not.
Beerox

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes indeed, the sequence seems odd.
"Wait, why did he click no to 'use fend'?"
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It's correctly implemented right now.

Fend is a skill and you have to choose to use the skill or not. If you do use the skill, then the opposing (blocking) coach is simply denied the possibility of a follow-up.

Your version is interesting but it still wouldn't change much either way and only make the Fend skill take more time as there'd be more choises involved.
BiBi

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's correctly implemented as it is.
Same works with Stand Firm : you have to decide if you use it before knowing where opposing coach would push you.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 08:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Trick is to be ready for the fend popup and click it real quick! Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The other trick is not to take it Cool
johnnih

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jarvis is right really. Unless you are facing a frenzy player the fend use is a no brainer. If you do not use fend he simple has the choice where to stand - better take that choce away.

I guess you can argue that opting not to fend is a way to play mind games. I haven't experienced it being worthwhile and have a hard time coming up with a situation where it would be.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

johnnih wrote:
Jarvis is right really. Unless you are facing a frenzy player the fend use is a no brainer. If you do not use fend he simple has the choice where to stand - better take that choce away.

I guess you can argue that opting not to fend is a way to play mind games. I haven't experienced it being worthwhile and have a hard time coming up with a situation where it would be.

Nope, you are assuming that both sides are thinking the same. For example:

Chaos warrior with clawbomb pows my zombie with Fend. If he follows up, he's in the TZ of a Golem who can MB faceplant him.

I choose not to use Fend, because I want that CW in my TZ, even if I don't get the chance to faceplant him due to a PO.

Chaos spp ftw lulz dude follows up to PO like a true brogre and both of us have what we want. I want to win, he wants SPP. Simples!
stej

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the correct sequence

Gain SPP for skill up
Click skill up button
Pick Skill other than Fend

?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend is good on Dwarfs.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
johnnih wrote:

Nope, you are assuming that both sides are thinking the same. For example:

Chaos warrior with clawbomb pows my zombie with Fend. If he follows up, he's in the TZ of a Golem who can MB faceplant him.

I choose not to use Fend, because I want that CW in my TZ, even if I don't get the chance to faceplant him due to a PO.

Chaos spp ftw lulz dude follows up to PO like a true brogre and both of us have what we want. I want to win, he wants SPP. Simples!

this. also, sometimes you don't want to use fend vs. frenzy, because it might lead the frenzy-player into a world of pain.

Smile

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

johnnih wrote:

You're just sooooo wrong. There are a lot of situations where you don't want to use fend. Perhaps your player is knocked back next to another of your players, you don't want to fend so you get a block next turn. Perhaps the follow up would take away a guard if done carelessly. Perhaps the follow up would leave a gap for you to create/exploit.

The second you say 'no' to fend, the opposing coach is given a huge hint that you want the follow up. Often the situation is obvious, but not always.

It's not a mind game. It's a tactical choice.

--------------------

Those saying it is correctly implemented are making an assumption.

Quote:
Fend (General)
This player is very skilled at holding off would-be attackers. Opposing players may not follow-up blocks made against this player even if the Fend player is Knocked Down. The opposing player may still continue moving after blocking if he had declared a Blitz Action.

That is ambiguous about the order.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
Isn't the correct sequence

Gain SPP for skill up
Click skill up button
Pick Skill other than Fend

?

Good man. Plus one point for you! Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 10, 2012 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no tactical difference either way.

The current way there is usually only one click, the proposed way there would usually be two clicks. Stick with the current.

Was waiting for Goo to respond to stej. Wink