42 coaches online • Server time: 15:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you usually connect?
Direct Connect
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
The Proxy server, but I have to do to firewall issues
38%
 38%  [ 30 ]
The Proxy server for no special reason
39%
 39%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 78

swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So a while back Klipp asked those who don't need to use the proxy server to not do so.

I'm wondering how much people actually abide by this though, so I thought I would pollify it.
SparkingConduit

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I only use the proxy because whenever someone tries to Direct Connect to me they get "Could not connect to server." Since I mostly ask others to host, and they mostly host with proxy, I almost never use Direct Connect, even though I can connect to others' computers.

DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really use direct connect at all, as that would require me working out my IP. I know how, but can't be bothered.

Maybe, if its easy to do, it could be added to the client (so on net server it prefills with your IP).

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

when you launch as net server, the client gives you your IP in the chat window :

HOSTNAME/xxx.xx.x.x

Server waiting for connection.

Server opening socket.
Wichtel

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You can find your ip on the overview screen, too
Severian

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Wol wrote:
when you launch as net server, the client gives you your IP in the chat window :
HOSTNAME/xxx.xx.x.x
Server waiting for connection.
Server opening socket.

This is most likely the machine's IP as far as it knows. If it's assigned by a router it will usually be 192.168.1.XXX, and that's not the WAN address.

Use http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ to find your WAN ip.

BTW, I've tried starting games without using either fumbbl or chickenbrains, but I usually received some error about a server not running or something...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Severian wrote:
...BTW, I've tried starting games without using either fumbbl or chickenbrains, but I usually received some error about a server not running or something...

If you're behind a router you can forward port 8080 (and 8085, if you want to allow specs) to your WAN address or use the proxy.

If you're behind a firewall you can either open port 8080 (and 8085, if you want to allow specs) or use the proxy.

I always try to host without the proxy whenever I play at home. It really seems to make a big difference in stability. I don't have any exact numbers, but it 'feels' much happier.

At work (where I haven't played in ages, go figure. Smile ) I am behind a firewall and a router which I can't control so I have to use the proxy.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey mojo if I host from my machine is the game name unnecessary? For example I'm copperplug.no-ip.org, do they just use this IP and that's it? Or do I give it a game name, too.

I assume they'll need the game name, but I want to try this. I would like to direct connect for obvious reasons and the reasons you mentioned.
buzzrocks

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

can someone post an easy how-to do direct connection and post it in a prominent place as im a bit computer dumb and use the proxy because i dont know how to do a connection... thanks Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Severian wrote:
Hey mojo if I host from my machine is the game name unnecessary? For example I'm copperplug.no-ip.org, do they just use this IP and that's it? Or do I give it a game name, too.

I assume they'll need the game name, but I want to try this. I would like to direct connect for obvious reasons and the reasons you mentioned.

If you're hosting without the proxy, you can uncheck the Proxy box (which grays out the 'Name' option). You can then give them either copperplug.etc... or the actual IP number. No need for a name.

For the record, copperplug.no-ip.org is a domain name, not an IP. When you host a game, it should say that the server is starting on "copperplug.no-ip.org / xxx.xx.x.xxx" (or whatever your IP address is). You can give them either one because if they use the domain name it will just look up the IP address and use that in the end anyway. Not really important here, just FYI.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Right on. I started using the domain name because of my ISP's DHCP policy.

It's good that I can give them either, because I'll default to the domain name as it doesn't change.

Thanks for answering my question mojo Cool
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I always try to host without the proxy whenever I play at home. It really seems to make a big difference in stability. I don't have any exact numbers, but it 'feels' much happier.

I can tell you there has never been a bug report for players out of sync from a direct connect game. Not saying it can't happen in remote cases, proxy games are much more likely to have problems if the connection has any kind of hiccups or disconnects. So it is in your best interest to play direct connect when possible.

Quote:

Yes, the game name is unessessary. The game name is only needed for proxy games. This is so the proxy (which handles many games) can identify which game is your. Direct connect games do not need to be named.

Quote:

can someone post an easy how-to do direct connection and post it in a prominent place as im a bit computer dumb and use the proxy because i dont know how to do a connection... thanks

If you are using the (play) link on fumbbl here are the directions:
For Server:
For "Proxy:" field, select the "No Proxy" option.
For "Proxy Game Name:" field, leave this blank.
For "Server:" field, enter your IP address.
For "Port:" field, leave default "8080" or change to another number.
Click Launch as Server.
The game should open and start waiting for a client to connect.

Here you need to tell your opponent your IP address and the port you selected.

For Client:
For "Proxy:" field, select the "No Proxy" option.
For "Proxy Game Name:" field, leave this blank.
For "Server:" field, enter the IP address your opponent gives you.
For "Port:" field, enter the port your opponent gives you.
Click Launch as Client.
The game should open and connect to the server.

Game play should be exactly the same now.

Maybe someone can add this to the users guide for me? Anyone?

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I got it started in the User guide (basically writing an intro and copying Ski's instructions) but I have to run at the moment. If someone wants to finish up, please jump in.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I use port 8085 (normally spec port)in my games, cause in my experience it was more secure
In this case, the spec port is 8090
I had no probs with these ports, btw
Mully

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

When I have tried to use my IP address my computer says something like "searching for port" and won't launch the game.

It is a home computer and I don't believe I have any firewalls.

Jump to: