55 coaches online • Server time: 16:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Stealman

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

My tabletop league is starting in september and right now I'm thinking about my starting Roster. I play Wood Elves and here are the other races, in order of the game schedule:

- Undead
- Chaos Dwarves
- Orcs
- Darkelves
- Chaos Dwarves
- High Elves

So there are 7 Coaches and we're going to play 12 matches. And I start vs. the Undead, then the Chaos Dwarves... At the end of the season the first 4 coaches play a little Playoff tournament. So there are a maximum of 14 games.

I read Garion's playbook and I share his oppinion that there are 3 different types of starting rosters for Wood Elves:

-Roster 1: 2 Wardancers, 1 Catcher, 8 Linemen and 2 Re-Rolls[/list]
-Roster 2: 2 Wardancers, 1 Thrower, 8 Linemen and 2 Re-Rolls[/list]
-Roster 3: 1 Treeman, 1 Wardancer, 1 Catcher/Thrower, 8 Linemen, 2 Re-Rolls[/list]

Right now I vary between Roster 1 and 3.
Roster 1 has the big advantage of 2 Wardancers, the best positional of the Woodelves.
Roster 3 lacks one Wardancer but it starts with a big firepower of the Treeman.

I think if I start with roster 1 it will take a couple of games to buy a Treeman. Before the Treeman I need to buy some catchers, 1 Apo and 1 Re-Roll. Due to these purchasements there is the possibility that I cannot buy a Treeman because the league is too short.

With roster 3 my first purchasement would be a Re-Roll, the apo, or the second Wardancer. It depends on what I earn in the first couple of games.

You can see that I really like the Treeman, although the tree is not quite as effective as a Wardancer. I'm even not quite sure if I need a Treeman anyway? Perhaps it's better to forget the tree in this league? What do you guys think? Do I need a Treeman and if so should I start with roster 1 or 3. Or perhaps 2?

Thank you very much for any suggestions!
the_cursed_one

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

i wouldnt use 2 as linos are all but as good at throwing as throwers and with mvps you might just skill some
but 1/3 is personal preference
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I like 3 personally, particularly in a league, where you can't restart your team. Saying that, I'd look into the possibility of having a 3rd rr in a league environment.
Idolen

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If your oppos are stupid enough to focus on your tree and tries to block him you should go for the third list. If they play smarter and gets away from the treeman he is quite useless and a Wardancer is the best player in the game......

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

u need 2 wDs. too much relies on that player, and with only 1, yr opp only need one lucky pow and u are screwed

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Roster 1 for mine... think the tree is actually useless in early rounds and 2 WarDancers is a must.
joebear

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

From my limited experience, roster 1 seems to be the hands-down best starting roster for Wood Elves. Then again, Treemen are awesome...
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

roster 1, no contest
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Over 12 games, in my view, I would start with Roster 2 (as in, I'd start that with or without the options you've presented). I start FUMBBL Wood Elf teams with that roster, and I wouldn't shift that with a sprint of a league.

Wardancers; vital. Get two.

Catcher > Thrower. However, access to Leader quickly when you'll be spending cash on an Apo and Catchers (I don't think you've time for a Tree in 12 games, personally. If it were a forever team, get one early and protect mens, but 12 games is too short a sprint to manage your team that way) is very tidy indeed. Don't give it anything else Passy, mind.

Get spps on the Wardancers, pick them up on the Thrower when you can.

The only reason I'd deviate from this course is if the first two coaches are your main competition. Then I'd gamble on the Catcher first to give you the slightly better early shot.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would play with all position players and no rr to start, with 4 catchers, 2 wardancers, 2 throwers, 3 linemen, you can run circles around your opponent, an all linemen approach is good for long time team building, in a league where you only play 6 games, skilling up linemen isn't really useful.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

You're bonkers! Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
I would play with all position players and no rr to start, with 4 catchers, 2 wardancers, 2 throwers, 3 linemen, you can run circles around your opponent, an all linemen approach is good for long time team building, in a league where you only play 6 games, skilling up linemen isn't really useful.

this is very stupid, and insane

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

no, it isn't, with all the skills you've got as starting with a woodie team, you've got 8 rr every turn (6 dodges, 2 pass, 4 catch), what do you want with two rr per half?
Beerox

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Roster 1 for sure
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2012 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
no, it isn't, with all the skills you've got as starting with a woodie team, you've got 8 rr every turn (6 dodges, 2 pass, 4 catch), what do you want with two rr per half?

I want 8 a half, it's just not practical!

All too often in this ruleset, people compromise on good basic Blood Bowl (Re-Rolls, Kick, Sure Hands.... Sometimes even Guard) for team management efficiency. Your approach is enormously risky. You might get away with it for one game, but 12?

I'd not do it if you paid me. Wink
 Jump to: