21 coaches online • Server time: 07:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Xtreme

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if it was possible to run an open league with no schedule, just allow the coaches to play other people in the league any time they wanted.
Then have a standings page track the results of the matches.

Can this be done?
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, its called Open Round Robin IIRC.

Have you read the help page - How to set up a league? All the information is in there. Check it out, its pretty useful.
krytie

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If you restrict each team to play maximum of 1 game against each opponent, then Open Round Robin will work and will automatically calculate your table.

If it is your wish/intention to allow teams to play each other more than once within a given "Season" then you'll need to do it all manually: Set up the group and have teams join it, then the results need to be posted/check for each game played and points assignedto the teams manually on the group page.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I read the help page but didn't see the type of league I was hoping to setup, so I wasn't sure if it was possible or not.
Yeah I was hoping to allow them to play more then one game against each opponent.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Open Round Robin lets everyone play against everyone once, however you don't really need to set up a tournament, just keep track manually (or with a script. I got one of those running.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I figured something out that will work for me. If I say you can only play the same coach 3 times in a season. Then I can run 3 open round robin tournaments at the same time and have the Score on the group members page update from those three tournaments right?

Also wanted to know if there are any rules about charging people to join a league, or sponsorship of a league. I'm thinking about providing prizes and trophies for winners and mailing them out after the season.
krytie

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the site will allow you to put a team in more than one competition at the same time, due to the way it calculates your possible valid opponents. You could however schedule 3 shorter "rounds" of ORR tourney and call it a season.

Regarding maintenance fees, i'm fairly sure the site is against this kind of thing -- wait for an admin to respond to that one. However, the idea of gathering funds or using participation fees to pay for prizes is likely to be viewed differently. These sort of things are always easier face-to-face...

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, back to the drawing board then.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2012 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't mind some do some work yourself, and you trust the coaches in your league to follow the league rules (teams wont be scheduled), you can try the follow script to manage your league:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~brill/fumbbl/league.php

Just type down all the Match IDs into the appropriate box, and press 'get results'

I pasted the result into my team bio, but you could use an empty tournament aswell:
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=627962

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2012 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

just do a virtual trophy Wink
 Jump to: