40 coaches online • Server time: 11:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
So is it?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 42 ]
maybpie
28%
 28%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 75

Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wondering if accepting an offered game for a match-up that you feel greatly favours you(due to coaching skill or rosters) is cherrypicking?

Also what do you say? "Sorry dude you are beneath me" sounds kinda condescending. Razz

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

if you would like to play him, why not play him?

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

if the challenger is too new to realize he's offering you an easy win, I could see it as cherrypicking

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Stop looking opponent roster before accepting/refusing a match and you won't have nothing to blame yourself

The simple fact that you analize your opponent coach value and roster before accepting a match is the first simptom that you're trying to avoid hard matches.
There's nothing bad in it as an absolute. But if you doubt about yourself, than the only chance you have is to accept/refuse every match without analizing your opponent team
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that it's cherry picking unless you're actively waiting for a favorable offer. Cherry picking happens in your own head after all.

I've also tried to stop looking at opponent's teams before either starting a match in Blackbox or especially when making an offer in Ranked. A few day's back I played against Tarabaralla's orcs. I lost (wholly because of bad dice obviously) and had a look at the team. Seeing the 12/1/1 win ratio made me feel less bad but if I'd seen it before playing the match I'd probably have been paralyzed by terror and lost because of that (and not the dice).
Igvy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps cherrypicking isn't the right word.

But you are still taking a game with a strong advantage, no other way to look at that.
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

cherrypicking is very much a matter of attitude, it is not your action but rather what thoughts are behind this action.
and if there is no cherrypicking attitude with you at all, why not ask the question directly? "this looks like a game that favours me on paper, sure you want to play this?" can do the trick, no?

playing easy games is not cherrypicking, looking only for easy games is though.
VoodooMike

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone turned you down when you challenged them to a game of anything, saying "yeah, you're not good enough to face me so I'm not going to sully my good reputation by letting you try" I doubt you'd think they were doing the honorable thing.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

VoodooMike wrote:
If someone turned you down when you challenged them to a game of anything, saying "yeah, you're not good enough to face me so I'm not going to sully my good reputation by letting you try" I doubt you'd think they were doing the honorable thing.

but in the rock-scisors-paper skill structure, if you see you have all the rocks and he has all the reasons a warning is nice.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've turned down matches plenty of times for exactly this reason. Not because I would be afraid of being a cherrypicker, but because a match where the outcome is basically determined before it even starts simply isn't fun.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

if it happens i always ask him like "are u sure? i dont see much chance for u to win this match up" after that if they still insist then let it be
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I've turned down matches plenty of times for exactly this reason. Not because I would be afraid of being a cherrypicker, but because a match where the outcome is basically determined before it even starts simply isn't fun.

+1.

Some newer players give up far too easily. I had a (box) game earlier this week where my opponent failed a 3+ dodge with dodge to hit my ball carrier first half, gave up citing terrible dice, and spent the rest of the game lying down/fouling.

Sure, it was an easy game, but I'd prefer to have an hour of an interesting game.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

it's not cherrypicking but everyone will call you that anyways. And it's not like you proof it afterwards :p If you get constantly offers like that you might even get banned. Think about it Wink
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

i will take any advantage offered to me...

... and then the new coach will learn to pick better games?

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2012 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

In an enviroment such as ranked, you will always have people accepting match-ups that favour them, as well as deny match-ups due to not believing they could win. I don't think there's much to do about it, so I tend not to bother too much about such moments either.

Other then that, I'm with the +1 on Cloggy's post.

Jump to: