41 coaches online • Server time: 16:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate it when my opponent sits on the ball. Maybe all my players are stunned, but even then I think its a really underhanded thing to do. On the other hand I really don't mind fouls, I think theyre part of the game. So if my opponent sits there with the ball I start fouling. I go after players with a lot of spp too. So in a game I just killed a player with 40 or so spp, and he was really mad. I did warn him not to sit on the ball, that I may foul. I just hate being denied the opportunity to play. You can say that holding the ball has strategic advantage, and that fouling is just a cheap revenge. But in real football does the runner look back and see if everyone is down so he can sit around and wait to kill time? It just seems a lot cheaper than fouling does to me.
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I say they are both strategic advantage.

But both fouling and stalling have been discussed over, and over, and over, and over, and...........

Consider the dead horse beaten.

-B

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

both fouling and delaying are valid tactics in Bloodbowl. However, both are also considered by many as 'bad' things to do. I rarely do either of them myself, though 1-turn delay is sometimes very appropriate. And though I don't like rampant fouling, if my opponent decided to foul because I was delaying, I would understand it--I think Wink

And there have been times that my opponent delayed and that allowed me to recover and actually stop them from scoring (usually requires a ton of luck to do)

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Under normal circumstances fouling as retribution for stalling is probably the dumbest thing you can do. If the are stalling out the half then clearly they have control of the pitch and more than likely out number you. All of this means that you probably won't be able to pull off a foul with more than one or two assists so odds are signifigantly higher of you getting your player ejected than of you hurting one of his players especially if you continue fouling with the ref watching you. Since half the point of stalling is to beat the crap out of the other team and get a numerical advantage rampant fouling when some one stalls is really only helping them. Your best option to stop someone from stalling is to play so they can't, they can only stall for as long as you let them.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

That's why I have rule #1: Always foul a staller. Now, if you have been playing carefully, they should never be in a position to stall you in the first place unless you have lost a lot of players, but the threat of the boot can help speed up that goal.

The Finishing Touch
celas

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need permission to foul or to threaten. People will always be disappointed by losing good players and as much as I would like to, you cannot agree ahead of time not to foul during a game. So your opponent always has to consider a foul on your part as an option. I think it is nice of you to tell them that you will foul if they stall. It places the responsibility of the foul on them.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't find fouling to be an effective threat when i'm stalling. Either I don't foul back and you just get your players ejected and maybe stun/ko one of mine since you won't be able to get many assists or I just foul back with a numbers advantage. Either way your losing players which only makes it easier for me to win the next half. If it's in the second half kill everyone that hits the ground for all I care it's not doing anything to get the ball so I still win.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

heh foul me all you like won't stop me stalling

my players will all take one for the team!
Bretter

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling for more than a turn is just lame. Fine, it's a pwer-gamer tactic, but decreases the fun level for all. Personally, I'll foul every chance I get on a staller, if not to killl his valuable players, then at least to get MY valuable players off the pitch. As noted above, if your in the position where you can't do anything about it, it's best not to sit around and wait for them to further harm your team.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2004 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll stop stalling when elves stop passing and handing off in the same turn.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to agree with Klipp there, - if my opponent stalls near the endzone, I start fouling, going after the biggest targets on their team. Its amazing how quickly they score once you make them use their apothacary, and give one or two kills or permanent injuries, especially when you have about 4 or 5 more dirty players to foul themselves out Smile
Waiwode

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

On the other hand, I hate being accused of stalling because I didn't *gfi* across the line. Having an opponent 6 on 1 foul one of my players because "I was stalling" was cheezy. Why *gfi* when you are 1 point in the lead and have no re-rolls?

Doug.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't you start fouling at the opening kick off deathgerbil?

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

yup, but I generally don't have enough players to foul every turn usually. Unless i get the ref that is Razz
Sionis

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

It's better to prevent, than to cure.
 Jump to: