61 coaches online • Server time: 18:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

So, first off let me just say that I really do not want this topic to turn into a thread discussing the right or wrong of turn 16 fouling, although my example does involve such an issue - it is not the central point, there are plenty of other fouling threads for that discussion. I didn't find a thread regarding this, so I'm mentioning it here.

Today after a game where I was turn 16 fouled, I decided to point this coach out in the IRC to save other coaches the grief of being turn 16 fouled by this person. I was not whining about him, simply mentioning him in case some coaches would care to avoid him in the future - I know I like to hear what coaches are given to take such actions so that I can avoid them, and I have seen it done before in chat. It doesn't seem to me to be a breach of chat ettiquete, as I am just discussing another coach's playing style, I was not calling him any names or even complaining about it (i.e. saying he was wrong to do it - or even discussing fouling as a policy in the least). I just wanted to offer other coaches who prefer to play coaches who play purely to win and not just to do gratuitous damage the advice that against this coach they may be turn 16 fouled.

A few people did say thank you and leave it at that, but a few also jumped on my back for bringing up fouling in the IRC. The coach concerned and several others kept on about how fouling happens and it is just a game, which I felt missed the point - not to discuss the right and wrong of fouling but just to let people benefit from my unfortunate personal experience.

The way I see it if my comment can save another coach some grief then it should be said - I am pretty sure the coach mentioned will have no problems finding games in the future, but a few who choose to avoid those sorts of games will know better.

Sorry to be long-winded, but my point is this: Is it incorrect to make such a comment in chat? If it is then I will certainly avoid doing so in the future.

May NUFFLE bless all your dice (even the turn 16 foulers - just not in a game against me) Smile
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

lol I cant believe this was posted Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2004 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I reckon its a free world and nothing about Blood Bowl should be "forbidden"...

Mind you, you should realise that sometimes your comments may start heated "debates"...

As long as you have a point of view (and even if you're the only one with that point of view) you have a right to express it.

Others though have a right to shoot you down in flames, but as long as you can cop that... then so be it.
Wichtel

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, fouling in turn 16 is just USELESS!
I foul very often, cause it's part of the game, but never in turn 16.

And it's absolutely ok to make messages in the IRC (imho)
I talk very often with my buddies about my and their blacklist to avoid boring and stupid coaches...
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
I reckon its a free world and nothing about Blood Bowl should be "forbidden"...

Mind you, you should realise that sometimes your comments may start heated "debates"...

As long as you have a point of view (and even if you're the only one with that point of view) you have a right to express it.

Others though have a right to shoot you down in flames, but as long as you can cop that... then so be it.

Sure I can cope with it, I just wanted to make sure I didn't 'miss the memo' about chatting about this sort of thing ("admins say no more discussing coaching tactics in IRC or yer booted!" or something)- I don't always read the news and whatnot. Let people flame away all they want, I can take that fine.
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It is all part of the "street Justice" that is Fumbbl. Wuhan and Deathgerbil didn't get thier reputation because of a hush hush policy. It is perfectly acceptable. IN fact, I think both sides should be fine with it and encourage it. 1) For the side that doesn't like the foul, so they know who to avoid. 2) For the side that commits the foul, so they don't play someone who will whine about it.

Now, if someone likes to seek out the people that would whine about it and foul, then they are just childish. They shouldn't be playing on fumbbl, because the goal of fumbbl is fun for all involved, not for the little 12 year old that likes screw with people far enough away that they can't knock on his door and give him the beating he deserves. (Failure of the internet and all that.)

Asperon Thorn
Wichtel

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

ROFL
Stilgar

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

if a coach decides to foul the heck out of you, why should you not be able to talk about it in chat, if you are not being insulting. Same thing with some one who sidelines, or passes or.....the list could go on (though fouling does have a much higher profile in terms of coaching styles).

As for fouling on the 16 turn, i have done it once, and here is why... my opponent and i had been having a weird game where we were failing everything!!! On his turn eight, he made some amazing rolls and had a chance to score, but again, luck bit his arse, and he failed a GFI. I "LOL"'d and before i could type something to the effect "thats just soo typical of this game" he not so politely said F**k YOU!!!!! So i replied that he wasnt being too polite, and he added a few more expletives (sp?). It was then that i figured i would teach him some manners. I blocked his 4 str thrower down to the ground, surrounded him, and niggled him on the foul. Felt pretty good too. I then explained to him that i only fouled him cause of his swearing, to which he asked me if i wanted to hear some more. I said yes.... but he disconnected. Oh well, maybe somewhat immature, but sometimes, the high road is just soooo far up there, i dont feel like climbing to get to it Very Happy
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to know it was just some people in an ornery mood telling me to take it elsewhere.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't hate the playah! Hate the Game!

While I have a reputation as a bit of a fouler, its rather undeserved as I only foul heavily with two of my 15 odd teams. But for the most part I think people enjoy playing me and when they do play these two teams they know what they are in for.

Insults, dropping, and slow play are what tick me off... fouling is a part of the game in my view so I don't mind being fouled... in fact losing a star to a foul helped change my view of how attached I get to players (thanks wuhan!) and now I can happily watch one of my uber-players get caned and laugh about it... So the next time you are fouled.. give a chuckle.. and kill his wardancer.

As for DNP lists and discussions on other coaches... use facts not emotions... If you are wildly upset and act like it don't be surprised to see a lot of *shrugs* in the chat room... state yer case but don't make it personal.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that is what confused me, I was about as impersonal and factual as you can be...no 'this jerk fouled me!' or 'he is a bad person' or even 'fouling is wrong!' or anything like that - just "<coach> fouled me on turn 8 so avoid him if you care about that sort of thing." It was other peeps who seemed to get upset (about me bringing it up)...there was a couple of swears involved when people got excited... Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a problem with controlled statements like that in IRC. If anyone gets out of control, or starts saying things out of anger etc. I've seen the admins do a great job of dealing with these issues. I'll save my fouling comments for another thread :p although BunnyPuncher said some great points.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Simple point to this is, name dropping in the public channel simply should not happen, no matter in what form. Mention it to the coaches you like to play with, but do so in private. The simple reason for that is, that even if it is true, the chance of that and that many people just trying to black mouth coaches for some personal grudge is just as high. How to defend yourself against an accusation like that if it is distorted by the perception of the coach that was on the receiving end?

Just don't. It only causes problems in the long turn and potentially can poison the atmosphere.

-Mnemon
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
Simple point to this is, name dropping in the public channel simply should not happen, no matter in what form.

How is this really different from writing something in the match record for all to see anyway?
Barash

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
Simple point to this is, name dropping in the public channel simply should not happen, no matter in what form.
Just don't. It only causes problems in the long turn and potentially can poison the atmosphere.

-Mnemon

I partially agree with this statement.

It's all about etiquette how you behave, in chat, but also on the field. For some coaches fouling in the last turn is breaking some code of etiquette, other coaches find this perfectly legal and good strategy. Some coaches don't like their name being dropped in chat while he actually made a 2nd half, 8th turn foul, other coaches don't care.

We are all here to have fun, so the atmosphere is very important. Calling someone names will poison the atmosphere for sure. But some coaches will not have fun if an other coach fouls their precious players in turn 8 for no reason. Other coaches don’t like their name being associated with turn 8 fouling.

My opinion: if someone fouls in turn 8 of the 2nd half, you know you can break an etiquette rule of your opponent. If you foul in the last turn don’t complain about that would break an etiquette rule in chat, it’s really pathetic and hypocrite. Be a man, be known for your deeds on and off the field. So don't start whining if your actions good or bad are shared with other coaches in chat.